Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

83K per annum: Need suggestions for places for renting

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

vandriver wrote: »
    To be clear,you're saying that someone coming from the USA will get a shock in Ireland at the cost of healthcare?

More that its not free.......
    Compared to the US- 60 quid to go to a GP or 80 quid to go to the ER- is a bargain. It may not be free for workers here- but its not extortionate like it is Stateside.

More that its not free.......
    Compared to the US- 60 quid to go to a GP or 80 quid to go to the ER- is a bargain. It may not be free for workers here- but its not extortionate like it is Stateside.

https://www.thebalance.com/average-cost-of-an-er-visit-4176166
    The average cost for an emergency room visit will vary on whether or not you have insurance. A typical co-pay for emergency room services is $50-$100 which may or may not be waived if you are admitted to the hospital. If you do not have health insurance, an ER visit can cost anywhere from $150-$3,000 depending on the severities of your injuries or illness. In extreme cases where critical care is needed, the charges could be as high as $20,000. If you require an ambulance, the fees can be over $1,000 depending on the service.

Here- no co-pay if you have health insurance.
    Max 6 ER payments for a family in any calendar year.
    No ambulance charge (that I'm aware of- and I have needed to be collected by ambulance a few times).

Its apples and oranges.
    You don't *need* insurance here- but it helps.
    You are screwed royally if you don't have insurance Stateside.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Insurance on a family car also shouldn't be anywhere near 1.5-2k. I have an Octavia estate and the insurance is under 400 per year, the road tax is 190 per year.

Just to say on this that I have a full licence for 11 years now, no claims, no penalty points, but never had a policy in my own name and I was quoted approx 2000e this year for insurance on a modest 2012 car.
    aloooof wrote: »
    Just to clarify something for OP, this is inaccurate. You can borrow 3.5 times your salary, with exceptions up to 4.2. Taking the standard 3.5, it would allow you to borrow 297,500. Add in the deposit requirement (10% for first time buyers, 20% for second time buyers, but I'm not sure how that works for ex-pats), but you're up to significantly higher than the 255k property this poster is suggesting.

Just a further correction to this! There is no defined ceiling on the exceptions to the 3.5 rule - each bank has their own individual policy here. I've seen some examples of them going up to 5 times salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

There has been a lot of school fees mentioned. There is no need to go to private secondary school in Dublin. It is an exception rather than a rule.

I'll say this - Dublin 15 is a lovely area. Two train lines (maynooth - Pearse / Dart) and Hansfield to Docklands. There are lots of great schools, religious, educate together, community national schools and there are secondary schools also, of each different type.

Every sport you want is on your doorstep, and like most parts of the suburbs it is great for families with children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Using the online calculator- a single income household with 2 kids, on a gross salary of 85k has a net salary of 56,890. This is the headline figure the OP needs to be aware of.

Might be best for op to talk with someone from payroll in the Irish company who can then tell him exactly what his net salary will be after factoring all benefits and reliefs in.
    Op should also have the company put him up for a month or two in the first instance while he decides where would suit location wise. A few k a month for 2 months for a corporate let shouldn't be a deal breaker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

OP you won’t get an exemption on the 3.5x rule because you have two kids. Banks will want you to have 2300 per month for you and your wife, plus 250 per child after mortgage and childcare are paid for. If you want an exemption they’ll want you to have an extra 1000 per month. I can’t see how you’d have that to be honest.

If your wife gets work in a crèche you may get free places for your kids there, or at least heavily discounted rates. Otherwise it might not be worth her while working as the pay is fairly low in that sector, she’d be working just to cover childcare and would have very little left over.

As for location, I’d say Swords is the best option for north wall Quay. I work there myself and live in Swords. It takes 15 minutes from Holywell (the last stop before joining M1 motorway to the city). You could rent a nice 3-bed house for 2k or so, maybe less if you’re lucky. You should look at Holywell, Boroimhe, Ridgewood, Rivervalley and Kinsealy (Melrose Park, Drynam hall estates). Your bus ticket is tax deductible so while it’s 1400 per annum on the Swords Express service, it costs you a net 60 per month out of your salary. If you go to the north or north west side of swords your commute will be an hour, however from Holywell it’ll be more like 25 minutes. Very few places in Dublin City will give you such a short commute.

School places are tight in Swords but you should get one. Holywell has a brand new non-denominational school that is really well regarded in the area. There are other options nearby too.

I have a similar salary but I have 4 kids. My wife works part time and earns around 26k per annum. We struggled the last few years especially with the cost of childcare but now the kids are all in school so that cost has come down and we’re finally feeling the pressure ease a bit. We both come from nice areas in the northside and originally planned to move back close to the city when we moved to Swords 10 years ago. However we wouldn’t leave Swords now. We’re really happy with the schools and the atmosphere in the area, good commuting times for both of us and good shopping, restaurant and pub options in Swords village. Plus a few minutes drive to great family day locations like Malahide Castle, Newbridge House and Portmarnock beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

jobless wrote: »
    Lot of negativity in this thread indeed. 85k is any sane economy should see you live a very nice lifestyle even with your wife not working.... but dublin is a **** show at the moment.... the cost of renting and childcare are a joke...

i know nothing about Dallas but i would seriously think about staying if you're lifestyle is good and you have the things there that you want in Dublin.

Not in capital cities of major countries or in cities that have large IT or Finance industry. It's not only Dublin. It's really not that much to be honest , given the high tax and rent situation and cost of running cars, certainly will not be living the high life especially if they need to save.

I agree with your points that he has to examine whether the move is worth it.
    I'd ask the company to pony up to 100k , on that basis I'd take it. He doesn't have family in the country or mention plans for educations and also coming from the US where there are tonnes of opportunities at present.

HE needs to go back and put together a plan as to why they should pay him more to move to Dublin. Seems a lot of folks here aren't used to negotiating. He should say he's commiting for X amount of time which may help them to justify increasing salary by saving on recruitment. Also look to see if any salary scales comparisons can help his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 taurus999

Thank you all for your valuable comments, thoughts and suggestions. I'm still in discussions with my HR on salary negotiations.

The reason I'm considering this move: this is a next level role/position (read: promotion) which I wouldn't get in my current team here in Dallas.
    Unfortunately the salary structure of Ireland entity of my company is way too much skewed on lower side when compared with what I earn in stateside (approx $110k). I have very little scope of doing hard negotiations on this.

The rents I'm paying here in Dallas is approx $1900/month + utilities on a 3BHK.

Here are the comparisons so far:
    Rent: cost approx same but, a much smaller sized apartment.
    Travel: Car in US vs public transportation (at least for first couple of years)
    Schools: same
    Medical: similar (company provided insurance in both places). I have excellent medical insurance in US. No copy and $500 deductible per person per year.
    Food: I assume this to be similar.
    Retirement: I get 401K (6% match). Anything similar to this in Ireland???
    What else???

Looking up the above comparisons, I think we can make it if (a big If From my spouse's perspective) we cut down on eating out and movies. Add to it our monthly disposable income(savings/emergency fund/investment) after all expenses would be substantially low too.

Welcome all your thoughts on this. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I've lived in Dublin for over thirty years. I have been in over half of the us states, there are pro's to here. But I think many could get a serious shock when they come here from the US. Free health care my ass! E60 a gp visit! Free health care if you have a medical card, which you wont be getting op, the only thing breaking your neck and paying extortionate income taxes here does, is actually exclude you from the perks of the free everything that many of the citizens here qualify for.

There are four charges for healthcare in Ireland:

GP fee = 40+, more like 50, maybe more in Dublin
    pharmacy
    A+E fee = 100
    Overnight fee in hosp = 80

People with med cards do not have to pay these four fees.

70% of healthcare is financed by taxes.

If you end up 3 nights in hosp, you pay 240, obviously way below the true economic costs.

• Advertisement

taurus999 wrote: »

There is generous tax relief on pension conts, 40% in your case.

You contribute 500 to pension, your tax bill falls 200.

The rents I'm paying here in Dallas is approx $1900/month + utilities on a 3BHK.

I don't know what a 3BHK is.

The problem with Dublin is that rents are insane, as you probably now know.

You will see rents of 2,000 EUR pm for 2-bed apts, about 70sqm.

Or more.

It's crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have very little scope of doing hard negotiations on this.

Here are the comparisons so far:
    Rent: cost approx same but, a much smaller sized apartment.
    Yes, same cost, smaller unit.
    Travel: Car in US vs public transportation (at least for first couple of years)
    Very hard to go entirely public transport in Ireland with a family, unless you are living on a Luas line in Dublin?
    Schools: same
    Medical: similar (company provided insurance in both places). I have excellent medical insurance in US. No copy and $500 deductible per person per year.
    Should be the same
    Food: I assume this to be similar.
    In the US, fresh food for cooking at home is extortionately high priced, and eating out is good value for money. Here it is the opposite. If you can cook, and that's what you did in the US, it will be cheaper here and better quality food. If you eat out a lot, it will be far more expensive than there
    Yes, retirement funds are typical (not called 401k tho) and your company are obliged to provide it. Should form part of your transfer pack.

I think the car is the main hole in your logic above.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A montessori pre-school teacher can expect roughly 10-15 euro per hour but 15 would be very good.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    A montessori pre-school teacher can expect roughly 10-15 euro per hour but 15 would be very good.

OP would have to check that his spouse's visa allowed her to work in Ireland.

In the case of Montessori pre-school teachers- a Non-EU/EEA teacher can only be offered a post when it has been advertised within the EU/EEA and fails to attract a properly qualified teacher (for Montessori- I believe you now need to be at least FETAC Level 6 qualified). Also- as of 1st Oct- all staff, even for after-school supervision, require full Garda/Police clearance and Tusla registration.

Its not a particularly well paid job- and they have just made it a lot more difficult to work in the sector.

In the first instance- the OP *needs* to ascertain whether or not their spouse's visa allows her to work in Ireland.

pwurple wrote: »
    In the US, fresh food for cooking at home is extortionately high priced, and eating out is good value for money. Here it is the opposite. If you can cook, and that's what you did in the US, it will be cheaper here and better quality food. If you eat out a lot, it will be far more expensive than there

+ 100 to this.

Eating out is excessively expensive to do on a regular basis here (other than snacking or fast food). However, you can buy high quality, fresh food ingredients- pretty much everywhere- and preparing very good high quality meals from scratch is relatively inexpensive (from a financial perspective- obviously, it can be extremely time consuming!).

OP would have to check that his spouse's visa allowed her to work in Ireland.

In the case of Montessori pre-school teachers- a Non-EU/EEA teacher can only be offered a post when it has been advertised within the EU/EEA and fails to attract a properly qualified teacher (for Montessori- I believe you now need to be at least FETAC Level 6 qualified). Also- as of 1st Oct- all staff, even for after-school supervision, require full Garda/Police clearance and Tusla registration.

Its not a particularly well paid job- and they have just made it a lot more difficult to work in the sector.

In the first instance- the OP *needs* to ascertain whether or not their spouse's visa allows her to work in Ireland.

Yes, spouse gets work permit

Ok... I’m reading that the govt pays €140 per child every month. Which will be €280/month in my case. Is this applicable for ex-pats like me?
    Can I consider this as part of my budgeting? Any restrictions attached on how I spend this money ?

Ok... I’m reading that the govt pays €140 per child every month. Which will be €280/month in my case. Is this applicable for ex-pats like me?
    Can I consider this as part of my budgeting? Any restrictions attached on how I spend this money ?

Its called Children's Allowance or Children's Benefit- and is normally paid to the mother. Both you and the mother need to have PPSNs (the Irish equivalent of a social security number)- as do the children. You also need to satisfy 'habitual residence' rules.

The Irish Times had a very good article which broadly answers your question here.

This is known as Child Benefit.

It is a universal cash payment.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/273_Child-Benefit.aspx

Non-EU/EEA citizens
    Non-EU/EEA citizens must be habitually resident in Ireland to quality for Child Benefit. If you are a non-EU/EEA citizen and legally working in this State, you may qualify for Child Benefit if your child is also resident here or in another EU state. More information is available in our document on habitual residence.

• Advertisement

Yes.

No.

There are 5 rules or factors of habitual residence which are assessed on a case-by-case basis- namely:

1 - Length and continuity of residence in Ireland or in any other particular EEA/EU country

2 - Length and purpose of any absence from Ireland

3 - Nature and pattern of employment

4 - Applicant's main centre of interest

5 - Future intention of applicant(s) concerned as they appear from all the circumstances as presented to GNIB

The whole habitual residence rules- has a booklet you can download here

+ 100 to this.

Eating out is excessively expensive to do on a regular basis here (other than snacking or fast food). However, you can buy high quality, fresh food ingredients- pretty much everywhere- and preparing very good high quality meals from scratch is relatively inexpensive (from a financial perspective- obviously, it can be extremely time consuming!).

I would disagree on this, I eat out often in Ireland and Ive been in various parts of the US over the last two years and eating out in the US (incl tip which is normally around 20%) is very very expensive much more so than Ireland.

Drinking is also far more expensive in the US than here, incl tip you are looking at paying up around 8 euro min in most pubs for a US pint which is less than a pint here.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

OP you will likely qualify for SARP (Special Assignee Relief Programme) which will give you tax relief on income over 75k. On a salary of 85k it's not going to make a significant saving, but something to consider.

You will also qualify for certain tax-free relocation expenses, has anything like this been discussed with your employer?

Is your employer providing a tax adviser for you in Ireland?

For such a big move, you should be pushing for a lot more than just your basic salary IMO.

Is your employer providing a tax adviser for you in Ireland?

In conjunction with this- you still have to do your US tax return- however, there is a reciprochal tax agreement between Ireland and the US- so you won't pay income tax twice on the same income. Strongly advise you talk to a few Americans here- they can better explain (basically) your joint Irish and US tax obligations etc.

I would disagree on this, I eat out often in Ireland and Ive been in various parts of the US over the last two years and eating out in the US (incl tip which is normally around 20%) is very very expensive much more so than Ireland.

Drinking is also far more expensive in the US than here, incl tip you are looking at paying up around 8 euro min in most pubs for a US pint which is less than a pint here.

It depends on where you eat out here- but even a basic enough meal can work out at 20-25 quid a head plus drinks- and the tip is on top of this.

Increasingly tips of 10% for basic service or 20% for good service- are the norm here in Ireland (not in fast-food/burger joints obviously)- and if you have a group you would normally round the bill upwards to be generous to the kitchen and other staff.

It is considered poor form not to tip- the debate normally is what is the appropriate level of tip- and this will vary both from establishment to establishment- but also according to what punters consider to be applicable.

Only rarely is there a service charge in Ireland- whereas Stateside its sodding endemic- it doesn't matter how good the establishment is, what you tip the staff etc- you're still expected to pay a separate service charge. That's low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

It depends on where you eat out here- but even a basic enough meal can work out at 20-25 quid a head plus drinks- and the tip is on top of this.

Increasingly tips of 10% for basic service or 20% for good service- are the norm here in Ireland (not in fast-food/burger joints obviously)- and if you have a group you would normally round the bill upwards to be generous to the kitchen and other staff.

It is considered poor form not to tip- the debate normally is what is the appropriate level of tip- and this will vary both from establishment to establishment- but also according to what punters consider to be applicable.

Only rarely is there a service charge in Ireland- whereas Stateside its sodding endemic- it doesn't matter how good the establishment is, what you tip the staff etc- you're still expected to pay a separate service charge. That's low.

I think the issue is in certain countries (like the US) people habitually eat out as its considered cheaper than cooking at home. Australia is like this too. This is less to do with the costs of eating out here versus there, but the differential between the costs of eating out versus groceries in a given country.

In Ireland it absolutely makes sense to shop and cook for yourself. From a lifestyle point of view, many of us still choose to eat out often, especially as so called "fast casual" restaurants.

Advertisement