Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Trampas wrote: »
    Driving stats are poor. Puts a lot of pressure on rest of game

I wonder is the pressure to speed up affecting his game?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Don’t think the focus on speeding up the game is going to be good for him, he is chronically slow

IMO he plays better when playing faster, lets hope this is just a bad patch and he pulls through it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Having another shocker. Last of the field so far at 4 over

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Now 103 in the R2D and taking this week off by the looks of it - not in the entry list for the Porsche European Open in Hamburg.

Harrington, Moynihan, Hoey and Sharvin are all entered and above the red (cutoff) line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

Nothing going much his way at the moment.

Next week might bring him his game back as returns to Scotland

• Advertisement

Looks like another missed cut and going to lose his card the way he’s playing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Trampas wrote: »
    Looks like another missed cut and going to lose his card the way he’s playing

Wow, thats some dip in form over a year or so. Really though he would kick on and contend in a few big ones:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Panrich

Dbu wrote: »
    Wow, thats some dip in form over a year or so. Really though he would kick on and contend in a few big ones:(

I think that the controversy over his slow play affected his form or maybe that’s just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Panrich wrote: »
    I think that the controversy over his slow play affected his form or maybe that’s just a coincidence.

Probably just but he's on a slippy slope and doesn't look like stopping anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

Down to 116th now and will need something special to hold onto his card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭paulos53

He got rid of his caddy around a month ago. A number of golfers have seen that result in a change of form but not in this instance.

I believe he had Dave McNeilly on the bag last week and again for the next 2 tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭roverjoyce

abff wrote: »
    Down to 116th now and will need something special to hold onto his card.
    I read somewhere he is guaranteed his card as there is only 2 events left to get your card (France & Portugal)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

roverjoyce wrote: »
    I read somewhere he is guaranteed his card as there is only 2 events left to get your card (France & Portugal)

How would that guarantee it?

He will still need to get back inside the top 110?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AnClar14959713

roverjoyce wrote: »

He was told a few weeks ago that his card was secure. However who ever said that to him told Paul a porky and with the pride of Greystones currently 116th in the Race to Dubai, he probably needs a top 20 finish in either France or Portugal to secure his European tour playing privileges for the 2020 season. The top 117 players secure their European Tour cards for next season.

Regardless of how he fares over these next two weeks, this has been a most disappointing season for Dunne who in his last 12 events has missed 10 of the last 12 cuts. He will need to reassess his inner circle or team around him post-season if he needs to fulfill the massive talent that he well capable of.

A lot has been said about his slow play. My opinion is that he is not going to change as he probably will admit that by playing faster would negatively affect his play even more. He is very much an advocate of the "process" method. Call me old-school but this "process" is the greatest load of you know what that is out there. All these so called sport psychologists thinking that they know it all by offering this advice.

For example if you made 7 bogeys in your first 10 or 11 holes in a round, do you stick to this "process"? Unless you have some kind of robotic type of personality then you clearly have to decide that you need a different mentality. Those advocating this are imo partly responsible for the issues regarding slow play.

The most important thing for Paul is to find fairways. Whether its taking an iron off the tee in par 4's or 5's, just something to keep the ball in the short grass is a must. If he can do that then Paul should find it considerably less stressful with his approach shots. I hope he will produce the goods over the next two weeks, or else he will have to return to Q-School final stage in Lumine, Spain in the middle of November over a grueling 108 holes.

He was told a few weeks ago that his card was secure. However who ever said that to him told Paul a porky and with the pride of Greystones currently 116th in the Race to Dubai, he probably needs a top 20 finish in either France or Portugal to secure his European tour playing privileges for the 2020 season. The top 117 players secure their European Tour cards for next season.

Sorry but that is nonsense. Dunne will know perfectly well who gets a card and I assume he can add.

What he is "told" doesn't come into it.

First Up wrote: »
    Sorry but that is nonsense. Dunne will know perfectly well who gets a card and I assume he can add.

What he is "told" doesn't come into it.

Just for clarification, Dunne was told in either late September or early October that his current Race to Dubai ranking (106th before the Spanish Open two weeks ago) and points total did exceed "the projected minimum ranking required to finish inside the top 119.." of the R2D come the conclusion of the Portugal Masters. I believe that due to some non-affiliated players not reaching the minimum amount of tournaments required to hold onto European Tour membership, that 119 magic number is now the top 117 and is still subject to change. Dunne subsequently missed the cut in both the Spanish Open and Italian Open and is now in a precarious 116th in the rankings, with two full field ET events remaining

My main gra with this is it would have given Paul a false sense of security by being told that your card was more or less secure and then realizing that wasn't the case. Paul is a very intelligent guy but I sincerely hope that your rationale is correct First Up and quite simply he took the news that he got from this unnamed individual regarding his tour card with a huge degree of a pinch of salt.

Anyways what we do agree on is that we both want Paul to secure his playing privileges on the European Tour for next season and lets hope with the undoubted quality and ability that the Greystones clubman possess that he hasn't to go through this "will he, won't he retain his European Tour card" ordeal for some time to come.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I would have thought his 2017 win gave him a few years exemption

Just for clarification, Dunne was told in either late September or early October that his current Race to Dubai ranking (106th before the Spanish Open two weeks ago) and points total did exceed "the projected minimum ranking required to finish inside the top 119.." of the R2D come the conclusion of the Portugal Masters.

What does a "projected" ranking mean? Someone's best guess?

slave1 wrote: »
    I would have thought his 2017 win gave him a few years exemption

That two-year exemption ends following the conclusion of this season. The event he won in October 2017, the British Masters at Close House where Lee Westwood hosted, was not an Rolex Series event which gives a 3 year exemption for the winner. Therefore it was just a 2 year exemption for Paul's maiden professional triumph there on the outskirts of Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭paulos53

In trouble early in the first round. Level par through 5 holes but followed that with treble and double bogeys on the next 2 holes.
    +5 after 9

• Advertisement

paulos53 wrote: »
    In trouble early in the first round. Level par through 5 holes but followed that with treble and double bogeys on the next 2 holes.
    +5 after 9

Sad to see. Will be a hard slog to get back to where he was, given that he probably wont have a card now.
    I presume tour school would be his next stop then?

Dbu wrote: »
    Sad to see. Will be a hard slog to get back to where he was, given that he probably wont have a card now.
    I presume tour school would be his next stop then?

He'll be into the final qualifying school. A fairly bleak place if your game isn't in shape.

Off to school for dunner. Snowman on par 5 but an end to his tour card as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭plumber77

Just hit another into the water and flung his club off the ground. Pure frustration but hard to watch that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jaysus - that is some fall in form from Dunne.

Goes to show - golf a tough tough game at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

I'd say golf is the professional sport where it is most difficult to be consistently excellent in, you regularly see players who are top quality for 2 or 3 years and then just fall off a cliff for example where is Hunter Mahan these days he seems to have disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Dog Murphy wrote: »
    I'd say golf is the professional sport where it is most difficult to be consistently excellent in, you regularly see players who are top quality for 2 or 3 years and then just fall off a cliff for example where is Hunter Mahan these days he seems to have disappeared.

So true just goes to show how good the lads are that are at the top. Yea where is Hunter Mahan?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭plumber77

Didn't Hunter Mahan have personal issues off the course last year. Probably contributed to his demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Hunter Mahon never really recovered from his yippy chip in the ryder cup against Gmac, it amazing really what the Ryder Cup can do to your game even if you played well in it, the pressure of what they experience could be too much for some players . . . Hunter, Colsarts, pieters, walton (way back) . . maybe it's not the reason but hunter never got back after Celtic Manor?

• Advertisement

Hunter Mahon never really recovered from his yippy chip in the ryder cup against Gmac, it amazing really what the Ryder Cup can do to your game even if you played well in it, the pressure of what they experience could be too much for some players . . . Hunter, Colsarts, pieters, walton (way back) . . maybe it's not the reason but hunter never got back after Celtic Manor?

A personal tragedy was one of the main reasons for Hunter spending more time with his family and intimately his tumble down the rankings.

Advertisement