Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Membership options/deals in Maynooth and surrounding areas

• 16-09-2019 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am in the process of moving house and hope to join a club in the Maynooth or surrounding areas in the New Year (15 mins drive in any direction), does anyone have any recommendations and prices? Would also like to get involved in the inter club scene within the club if possible.

Obviously Carton House is high up on my radar but is a bit expensive and wondering is it worth it? Where do people form Maynooth play if not there?

Also need a good junior section section within the club for my kids who'll be playing there for the foreseeable future also. Eldest is 11.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Hi,
    I am in the process of moving house and hope to join a club in the Maynooth or surrounding areas in the New Year (15 mins drive in any direction), does anyone have any recommendations and prices? Would also like to get involved in the inter club scene within the club if possible.

Obviously Carton House is high up on my radar but is a bit expensive and wondering is it worth it? Where do people form Maynooth play if not there?

Also need a good junior section section within the club for my kids who'll be playing there for the foreseeable future also. Eldest is 11.

Kilcock is your best option, check their website for details, very vibrant club and I always enjoy playing there.Btw I'm not a member there

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Only played kilcock a few times myself but found it rather tight on a few holes that run up and down beside each other, had a few stray balls come from other holes with no shouts of fore etc which put me off. Now i know that can happen anywhere but had it happen on each time I played the course.

Another option which a cousin of mine is joining next year is Millicent just outside clane, again haven't played it in ages but he is only taking up golf and does not want to spend huge money on membership (under 36 rates)

I'm a member in carton house myself and live in Maynooth. Yes its a lot of money but the fact that is so close is extremely handy and you are paying for two courses. Look at the likes of luttrestown for example single (very good course) is nearly the same price, plus free use of the lit up gui driving range is handy in the winter in particular to keep the swing going.

All boils down to how much are you going to use it. I try to get out twice a week in the summer maybe more depending on how busy work is etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

I see you need 2 nominees to join if I was going to go down that route with Carton house are they strict on that?
    djivide_ is there normally a comp every Saturday and Sunday or do the competitions tend to run over two days? Is it true that all competition entry fees are part of your membership?

I've played Kilcock a few times and would be handy cheaper option but don't think there's much of a junior section there which wouldn't really work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

I see you need 2 nominees to join if I was going to go down that route with Carton house are they strict on that?
    djivide_ is there normally a comp every Saturday and Sunday or do the competitions tend to run over two days? Is it true that all competition entry fees are part of your membership?

I've played Kilcock a few times and would be handy cheaper option but don't think there's much of a junior section there which wouldn't really work for me.

Not sure about the nominee bit but I would not imagine so, I have spoken to a number of new members over the years and no one mentioned it. I joined about 6 years ago but had a relative who was a member already.

Weekend comps runs over both days at the weekend and can get busy on the time sheet as it is but can always find a slot to get out. There is also mid week comp on a wednesday 18 holes in the summer and both 18 and 9 hole comps later in the year.

Fees are paid up at the start of the year along with membership, so for instance for me it worked out as €2549 for the year, €2300 fees, €200 for comps/club levy plus €25 & €24 for gui membership and golfsure insurance. There is an incentive to pay early for membership, forget the cut off but goes up to 2500+249 if not paid before the cut off date, roughly 20th of January or there abouts. I think all new members get the 2300 rate to start with.

Dont have kids myself but have only heard good comments from people with kids who play in the juniors

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Options within about 20 minutes
    Castleknock
    Luttrelstown
    Hermitage
    Lucan
    Westmanstown
    The K Club
    Kilcock
    Millicent
    Killeen
    Palmerstown
    Naas
    Cradockstown
    Castlewarden
    Citywest
    Elm Green
    Grange Castle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Newbridge also in that area, good juniors section, very active club

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Newbridge also in that area, good juniors section, very active club

The holiday in Spain must be ****e if you are on here

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Long Turn

Castlewarden have a good junior section and are doing a deal on membership at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

The Smurfit course @ K Club is excellent value, includes all practice facilities (with range balls) and a junior membership is included with a paying adult fee of €1550 inc GUI fees.

Millicent is a nice course, considered one of the driest in the county @ about €1k, practice facilities (driving range) are extra.

Palmerstown, another great course, but about 30min from Maynooth, and €1700 inc GUI fees, practice facilities included, not sure about range balls.

Luttrellstown, another great course, about 20min from Maynooth, and €2500 inc GUI fees, practice facilities included, not sure about range balls.

zep wrote: »
    The Smurfit course @ K Club is excellent value, includes all practice facilities (with range balls) and a junior membership is included with a paying adult fee of €1550 inc GUI fees.

Enquired about this and very appealing, the only thing is they only play 1 competition at the weekend which doesn't really suit :(

• Advertisement

zep wrote: »

Enquired about this and very appealing, the only thing is they only play 1 competition at the weekend which doesn't really suit :(

Comp can be played Saturday or Sunday, usually only a few slots on the Saturday.
    Pm if your looking for more info.

PM sent cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

djivide_ wrote: »
    Only played kilcock a few times myself but found it rather tight on a few holes that run up and down beside each other, had a few stray balls come from other holes with no shouts of fore etc which put me off. Now i know that can happen anywhere but had it happen on each time I played the course.

I've been a member in Kilcock for nearly two years now and never had that experience and I've played with a good few who spray the ball all over. Usually lots of shouts when needed.

Big drawback for OP though would be the Junior side. I'm not sure its big in Kilcock but could be mistaken and there is no range to speak of.

PM sent cheers

Hey, Didn't get a PM. Maybe try again.

Advertisement