Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Block (NZ) 2019

Options
  • 26-07-2019 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭

A few people have latched onto this in recent days, so let's have a thread.

It's not on any channels here, so you'll have to source it yourself.

Since some people are playing catchup, please use spoiler tags and indicate what week your spoiler is about (it's on episode 23 at the moment for those who want to know).

There were 49 episodes for each of the last 2 years, so I'd say we're almost at the half way point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Just to say the superior (IMHO) Block Australia (just The Block if googling) is also about to return at the beginning of August....bigger budget and generally a breezier show and worth a look if you're into that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, The Block AU is excellent. Scotty in AU is a much more likeable host than Mark in NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Mr E wrote: »
    Yep, The Block AU is excellent. Scotty in AU is a much more likeable host than Mark in NZ.

Agree - whole family are big fans of the Australian version.....the challenges can get tiresome but the whole thing is held together by Scotty and a sense of fun that is lacking in the NZ version...one thing that gets me about the NZ version is the auction where they don't give the reserve before bidding which sucks any possible tension out. But the NZ version has improved from the early series which were painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

Can I just say that I want to go through the screen at Stacey and Adam. Bunch of immature little B1tches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

norabattie wrote: »
    Can I just say that I want to go through the screen at Stacey and Adam. Bunch of immature little B1tches

Yup!! Not feeling any of the teams this year - except the 2 boys. Rest are just annoying. Feels more 'scripted' than previous years. All hating each other and then other (brief) clips of them all laughing together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I spend most episodes debating who I want to slap more - Stacey or Lisa. Luckily I have two hands, so don't have to choose.

They definitely went down the route of having more dramatic personalities in the teams this year, and the quality of the apartments have suffered for it.

Lisa out the gate is getting on my nerves too. Love the Boys, and Ribz.
    But I just think Stacey and Adam are way too smug. Love to see them get their comeuppance.

Wish the boys could catch a break though. Feel really sorry for them

So while waiting for new episodes, I decided to start Season 7 of the Block.
    OMG Is it just me or is that Agni the biggest snowflake ever? I absolutely love Amy & Stu
    I know who won obviously from this seasons block, but it's so entertaining.

Anyone watch the auction?

I've watched up to episode 47. Haven't seen auction episode pop up yet, and I'm reluctant to google for it in case it spoils the winner.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't Google the auction episode, any headline will contain spoilers. The ep is now available online in the usual places.

Speaking of spoilers for auction episode:
    One of those horrible anticlimax auctions, where the results are bad and it's all very flat and awkward. Not good when only one apartment makes a profit. Stacey and Adam's sold after the auction, at the reserve price. No news yet on the penthouse apparently. Did they get unlucky with the market or were the reserve prices set very high? Not a nice end to a season that was a mixed bag anyway. I think Lisa & Ribz, Stacey & Adam and Sophia & Mikaere will all use it as a way to launch/propel their careers, but I'm gutted for the two lads as they don't seem to have had an ulterior motive in mind for going on the show. Someone has started a fundraiser page for them though, so maybe they'll make a few bob yet.

Just finished the auction there now. Wow!
    That was depressing to watch. It would have been nice to know the reserve in advance though. Poor boys :(
    I'm still in shock that Lisa and Ribz won. Guess that's the way it goes

That was a tough watch. Yikes.

Feel sorry for the boys more than anyone.

Spoiler for auction results:
    TSB have said they will give $10k to each of the losing teams. Better than nothing, but still not a lot of return for 3-4 months work for two people.

Agree with norabattie, not letting the audience know the reserves kills it. I wonder is there some reason for it - NZ auction procedures being different to Australia? Otherwise it makes no sense. Although looking at Stacy's face during the auction made it clear they hadn't reached reserve, she was gutted. Those two annoyed the hell out of me all season, but I felt really sorry for them during the auction.

There's a givealittle page set up for Ethan and Sam. Raised $30,000 already for them.

Nice. :)

I think the reserve prices were too high.

Mr E wrote: »
    Nice. :)

I think the reserve prices were too high.

And they were all completely different. I know they are different apartments but wildly different

Dovies wrote: »
    And they were all completely different. I know they are different apartments but wildly different

That's what annoyed me about the reserve too. We don't know how short they were either of the reserve. I mean Stacey and Adam had the bigger house and it went for 1,460,000 and yet Sophia and Mikaere's went for 1,455,000 . I know I'm surmising here, but I would have thought that Stacey and Adam's would have been more expensive considering 3 bedrooms, and 2 floors. IDK. It was just so disappointing

We also don't know how much they borrowed. Wonder why they don't reveal the money side when the Aus block almost make every episode about it! They had 250,000 (or thereabouts) for the renovation yet the reserve is almost 1.5 - the costs are just too big to recoup anything by the looks of it.

Advertisement