Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

solar panels make noise 24/7

Options
  • 12-08-2019 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hello,

I just moved in to new house and it has solar panels. There is controlling unit next to my bedroom and the system makes noise 24/7. I went to check with my neighbors and it is completely quite in their houses. Some of them told me that most probably glycol needs to be top up.

Is that reasonable assumption? Did anyone had similar issue? adn is that expensive to do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

What sort of noise? Is this solar thermal (hot water) or solar PV (electricity). A photo of the offending unit would help. I assume thermal, but the fact that you have the noise 24/7 makes me wonder if it is an electrical install with a contactor as a firefighter safety switch

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Fresh2000

What sort of noise? Is this solar thermal (hot water) or solar PV (electricity). A photo of the offending unit would help. I assume thermal, but the fact that you have the noise 24/7 makes me wonder if it is an electrical install with a contactor as a firefighter safety switch

the noise is like pump is working all the time, not sure what I should photo though, it is just water tank with some additional things on the side.

Fresh2000 wrote: »
    the noise is like pump is working all the time, not sure what I should photo though, it is just water tank with some additional things on the side.
    Afraid you need a solar thermal installer familiar with that model of controller. It seems to either have a faulty probe telling it that the panel is hot, or the water is cold, or some settings wrong (e.g. the anti-freeze setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Fresh2000

Afraid you need a solar thermal installer familiar with that model of controller. It seems to either have a faulty probe telling it that the panel is hot, or the water is cold, or some settings wrong (e.g. the anti-freeze setting)

Thanks to your replies I started researching more and I found out I had Steca TR0301 controller, I have found manual and the side switch for operating setting was set to ON. As far as I understand it should be in position AUTO. After I have switched to auto pump stopped and this beautiful silence happened.

My wife and 3 month old child are so happy. I hope I did the right move to set it to AUTO.

Thanks a lot for all tips.

That's great. Well done sorting that. On auto, the pump should run intermittently during the day, depending on its settings. Usually it comes on when the panel is about 6 degrees hotter than the cylinder. The installer must have switched it on for testing and forgot to switch it off again...

• Advertisement
Advertisement