Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will exclusion based on religion really stop?

• 11-06-2019 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

The cabinet has decided in May 2018 that 'exclusion based on religion' is not allowed anymore.

From experience I mentioned that they submit you to a religious school 'based on a number of factors'. This actually means the same and they just don't admit that it is because of the baptism cert.

I ran into this when looking for a school for my kids.

Why should education be a privilege? Isn't that a human right? Why should I be super happy when my kid gets accepted to a local school? Shouldn't this be common sense?

The mix of a bad housing crisis in combination with this baptism barriers actually creates a nasty cocktail. I have seen examples of grown kids staying home for months to wait for the new semester. They are forced to move because of the housing crisis and can't immediately go to the new school. Why do kids have to commute cross-city in order to go to school? The issue is not in rural areas. The issue is cities or commuting towns.

Would it be good if the government actually checks if school still don't follow this method? Is there any enforcement for this?

As a start it should be forbidden to refuse students. If they are full, the school should be the one to find a new place and not the student. By EU law there is compulsory education in each country. Nobody is monitoring and who knows how many kids (temporary) don't go to school.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you have evidence that a school has contravened this rule, take a section 29 action against the school. You don't have an automatic right to attend the nearest school, whatever your beliefs.Did you get a copy of the school enrollment policy? Multi-denom schools also refuse students if over-subscribed, so it can be more a question of lack of places, rather than religious discrimination. Ironically enough, COI and other minority religion schools can still refuse entry to their schools on religious grounds
    If a child is left without a place, it's up to Tusla, through the EWO to help find a place:
    https://www.tusla.ie/uploads/content/parents_and_carers_guide_to_school_applications_final.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 22 visg

@byhookorbycrook Good information, thank you.

The painpoints are still:
    * I know the enrollment policies. They often have multiple rules. The issue I find is that it is not common sense to accept every child. Lots of rules and hoops. I think that at the end of the day religion still plays a part. As there are many rules, it is easy to not accept somebody on other grounds when they are not catholic. Preferences are often given to families who already went to the school (or related schools) before. The rule is just active for 1 year.
    * It should actually be the government reporting children that are left without a place, and not the other way around.
    * "You don't have an automatic right to attend the nearest school, whatever your beliefs" -- This should be the starting point. You shouldn't be forced to make extra costs in order for your child to go to school.

Somehow I do understand it. From what I understand: Schools don't get much money from the government. The church helps. When you are related to the church you can have better funded education. So actually the whole system should be changed and schools should get more money.

I like educate together who does not have any rules
    "Educate Together national schools welcome all children" PERIOD!.... "What has set Educate Together schools apart over the last forty years is that no child on entering an Educate Together school is asked their religion as part of the admissions process. While in school, no child is separated or treated differently in any way due to their religious or philosophical beliefs" -- BEAUTIFUL words that are embraced.

Just too bad that you need to sign up your kids before/around birth if you want have a guaranteed place :) And I think that explains a lot on itself.

And actually a very quick random google search shows me this:

stmarysbnslucan.com /wp-content/uploads/PDF/StMarys-Enrollment-Policy-2018.pdf
    (it says 2018 but it is still active on the site at this moment)

"
    Criteria for the Admission of Junior InfantsIn the event of applications for enrolment exceeding, or being expected to exceed, the number of places available the Board of Management will allocate places using the criteria below, and in that order. 1.Catholic boys resident in St. Mary’s parish, Lucan.2.Brothers of boys already enrolled in St. Mary’s BNS, including brothers of past pupils.3.Brothers of boys enrolled in St. Mary’s Girls’ National School.
    Enrolment Policy2 | Page4.Catholic boys living outside the parish who do not have a Catholic school in their own parish5.All Non-Catholic boys who are resident in St. Mary’s parish, Lucan6. All other boys who apply to the school
    "

So this is forbidden and will be followed up with immediately once reported? And with my random google search I found this one existing example only.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes. it's forbidden for Catholic schools, but not other religions.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2018/1003/1000643-education/

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2018-press-releases/PR18-10-03.html

Educate Together schools do indeed have rules to limit enrollment. 1st come, first served is used in some, for example, which can limit access to newcomer children who move into the area.

"Children will be offered places on a first come, first served basis, "
    https://www.skerrieseducatetogether.ie/enrolment-policy/

And that is fair as no other aspects play any part.

Other religions then Catholics are just a minority and the impact is very small. But i do agree they should have to take everybody as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Some catholic schools have left the catholic only in on purpose, no doubt at behest of archbishop. They are looking for a test case because they believe that they will win a supreme court case of the unconstitutionality of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The educate together first come first served is too blunt, mate of mine couldn’t get his second child in based on that so now has to drop two children to two different schools in the morning.
    I think it’s reasonable to have a sibling still attending first policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

visg wrote: »
    And that is fair as no other aspects play any part.

Other religions then Catholics are just a minority and the impact is very small. But i do agree they should have to take everybody as well.

What do you mean by “no other aspects play any part”? Do you mean apart from the time the child applied to the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Some catholic schools have left the catholic only in on purpose, no doubt at behest of archbishop. They are looking for a test case because they believe that they will win a supreme court case of the unconstitutionality of the law.

Have you any examples of this?

jimd2 wrote: »
    Have you any examples of this?

About 2 mins on schooldays.ie got me

https://www.glencullenschool.ie/policies/enrolment-policy-2/

As i said most RC schools have removed it but a few will be told to keep it in just to test the water. Theirs a notorious CoI school in wicklow abusing this new ruling to the nth degree.

• Advertisement

About 2 mins on schooldays.ie got me

https://www.glencullenschool.ie/policies/enrolment-policy-2/

As i said most RC schools have removed it but a few will be told to keep it in just to test the water. Theirs a notorious CoI school in wicklow abusing this new ruling to the nth degree.

So you are actually speculating, rather than basing your statement on fact?
    And COI schools can discriminate on a religious basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

From what I understand: Schools don't get much money from the government. The church helps. When you are related to the church you can have better funded education. So actually the whole system should be changed and schools should get more money. f.

The vast majority of school funding in Ireland comes from the state, not the churches. They may own legacy buildings or donated lands and have driven things decades ago, but school building programmes, particularly at primary level were almost always driven by the state. Teacher's salaries are paid by the state. There's an annual capitation grant per student per year and there are various other funds made available for capital expenditure, special needs supports and so on.

I find that we are having a discussion about divestment in a complete vacuum of facts. I would like to see a full, transparent publication of who's funding what in each school. That way we could maybe have a discussion, as from what I am aware, the role of the 'sponsors' of schools in terms of financing is quite small relative to what the state puts in, particularly when you consider pay and pensions.

We also have created an issue where we've duplication and triplication and even quadruplication of facilities because they're nominally owned by different sponsors (usually religious communities) or they're divided by gender and so on. So, typically Irish primary schools are small and often don't seem to reflect modern settlement patterns or demands in many cases. We don't have concepts like school districts or involvement of local authorities or planning authorities in any serious way, as would be the norm in most countries.

But I would like to see a proper breakdown of exactly what's being funded and by whom as without that all these debates get swept up into people making statements without any facts and figures to back them up.

I'd also like to see an analysis of costs and efficiency of use of state resources where you've got clusters of multiple schools that are basically divided up for what amount to sectarian and gender segregation reasons or legacy sponsors.

It just seems utterly crazy to me that we have so little transparency in what is basically one of our largest areas of public expenditure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Why would you want your child going to a catholic school if you don’t agree with Catholicism ?
    If you dislike Catholics that much surely the nearest educate together school is best for your family

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Why would you want your child going to a catholic school if you don’t agree with Catholicism ?
    If you dislike Catholics that much surely the nearest educate together school is best for your family

There aren’t that many ET schools for a start and even if your not religious very often the catholic school is a very good school. The ethos is often nominal at this stage. People want the best education for their child and I’d say the religious side of a school is quite far down the list of what people are looking for.
    People want a good, well ran school that’s accessible to them. At this stage most schools get how well they are ran from the principal not the religious order that used to run the place.

salmocab wrote: »
    The educate together first come first served is too blunt, mate of mine couldn’t get his second child in based on that so now has to drop two children to two different schools in the morning.
    I think it’s reasonable to have a sibling still attending first policy.

When none of the schools would have an admission policy, you do not run into problems like this. If there are enough places for each area, and no admission policies there are no issues.

Issues are created by certain schools bringing in admission policies. The pressure on Educate Together increases as they do take every child.

The vast majority of school funding in Ireland comes from the state, not the churches. They may own legacy buildings or donated lands and have driven things decades ago, but school building programmes, particularly at primary level were almost always driven by the state. Teacher's salaries are paid by the state. There's an annual capitation grant per student per year and there are various other funds made available for capital expenditure, special needs supports and so on.

I find that we are having a discussion about divestment in a complete vacuum of facts. I would like to see a full, transparent publication of who's funding what in each school. That way we could maybe have a discussion, as from what I am aware, the role of the 'sponsors' of schools in terms of financing is quite small relative to what the state puts in, particularly when you consider pay and pensions.

We also have created an issue where we've duplication and triplication and even quadruplication of facilities because they're nominally owned by different sponsors (usually religious communities) or they're divided by gender and so on. So, typically Irish primary schools are small and often don't seem to reflect modern settlement patterns or demands in many cases. We don't have concepts like school districts or involvement of local authorities or planning authorities in any serious way, as would be the norm in most countries.

But I would like to see a proper breakdown of exactly what's being funded and by whom as without that all these debates get swept up into people making statements without any facts and figures to back them up.

I'd also like to see an analysis of costs and efficiency of use of state resources where you've got clusters of multiple schools that are basically divided up for what amount to sectarian and gender segregation reasons or legacy sponsors.

It just seems utterly crazy to me that we have so little transparency in what is basically one of our largest areas of public expenditure.

Nice and helpful reply, thanks.

I think that having the building/land from the church is a LOT.

And I know that salaries etc are not paid by the church, but I believe that materials are. I have walked into different schools and there is a huge difference to what each school has in materials.

While walking through the building of one school, I have only found books from the 90s and haven't seen a single computer. I would not say there are no computers but you could clearly see it was poor in materials. This while other schools can be quite modern.

Transparency will be the key indeed. Fully agree with that.

I never said I dislike Catholics. I dislike the fact that not everybody is welcome. Education is a human right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I never said I dislike Catholics. I dislike the fact that not everybody is welcome. Education is a human right.

Protestant schools only take Protestants in their schools as well . If a religion owns a school surely they are entitled to have their own crew going there . If they aren’t allowed control who enters their own buildings they might as well close it down so no one has a school to go to .
    More educate together schools or else those who disagree with religion have to travel further with their children to one . In England and America ca you can’t get into catholic schools such is the demand and here people are giving out about having to go to one .

Protestant schools only take Protestants in their schools as well . If a religion owns a school surely they are entitled to have their own crew going there . If they aren’t allowed control who enters their own buildings they might as well close it down so no one has a school to go to .
    More educate together schools or else those who disagree with religion have to travel further with their children to one . In England and America ca you can’t get into catholic schools such is the demand and here people are giving out about having to go to one .

I think you are overlooking the fact that the majority of schools are religious in Ireland. So usually it is your only option.

If you need a guaranteed place in ET, you will need to sign up your kids before birth at this stage:)

As you mention the US and UK, the situation is way different.

I would never complain if my kids goes to a religious school. I will be happy that my kid has a school.

I think we should all agree that you shouldn't make it difficult for a child to find a school. In combination with the housing crisis this is toxic. I think everybody should understand that. People need to help each other in crisis and the Bible mentions this as well. The Bible is not about exclusion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Nice and helpful reply, thanks.

I think that having the building/land from the church is a LOT.

And I know that salaries etc are not paid by the church, but I believe that materials are. I have walked into different schools and there is a huge difference to what each school has in materials.

While walking through the building of one school, I have only found books from the 90s and haven't seen a single computer. I would not say there are no computers but you could clearly see it was poor in materials. This while other schools can be quite modern.

Transparency will be the key indeed. Fully agree with that.

The only time schools get funding from the Diocese is when they are in financial difficulties, and have run up large debts.

What's the basic for your belief that the church pays for school materials

• Advertisement

The only time schools get funding from the Diocese is when they are in financial difficulties, and have run up large debts.

What's the basic for your belief that the church pays for school materials

Indeed I do not have proof of this. I said "I believe"

The reason I think this is because I have seen huge differences in materials between schools. I have also experienced a (non-religious)school asking for money from the parents to buy materials.

There is no transparency about this and hard to find facts.

So your statement would be that pretty much no money from the church goes to the school? Why are schools often very attached to 1 specific church?? They often give preference to boys/girls from one specific church.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Indeed I do not have proof of this. I said "I believe"

The reason I think this is because I have seen huge differences in materials between schools. I have also experienced a (non-religious)school asking for money from the parents to buy materials.

There is no transparency about this and hard to find facts.

So your statement would be that pretty much no money from the church goes to the school? Why are schools often very attached to 1 specific church?? They often give preference to boys/girls from one specific church.

Most schools ask parents for money for materials. All schools have received IT equipment grants over past few years, our local school with approximately 130 pupils have received €12000 for IT equipment. A lot of the variations on the quality of the school buildings, materials etc is down to the management of the school and how they spend the money allocated to them.

Because the school buildings are historically built on land owned by that particular church, and that, in a lot of cases is the only attachment the church has to the school, schools are run by boards of management and the teachers.

Are you aware of the current admissions policy for primary schools, some schools may not have updated their website's, but the current policy is the law.

Most schools ask parents for money for materials. All schools have received IT equipment grants over past few years, our local school with approximately 130 pupils have received €12000 for IT equipment. A lot of the variations on the quality of the school buildings, materials etc is down to the management of the school and how they spend the money allocated to them.

Because the school buildings are historically built on land owned by that particular church, and that, in a lot of cases is the only attachment the church has to the school, schools are run by boards of management and the teachers.

Are you aware of the current admissions policy for primary schools, some schools may not have updated their website's, but the current policy is the law.

And that is the fun part. The law changes and nobody bothers to update the admission policy on the website. Such an important change!

As I explained earlier there are still legal ways of exclusion. Because an admission policy can contain multiple points, it is easy to refuse somebody on other grounds once you know they don't have a baptism cert. They still ask for your religion on the forms!

I think that the some reactions on this thread show the actual problem. People don't want to see or recognize the problem. A lot of people actually like that system that was there for decades. There are also people who struggle because of this. I think education should be number one priority and there should not be any admission policy. First come first serve from ET is normal as they would have to expand more then triple if they did not have that.

The housing crisis forces people to move around. Schools have enormous waiting lists and complicated admission policies. There is not really a proper registration system where everybody is registered. This way the government cannot fully monitor who goes to school or not. All of this together can make things bad.

The way to move forward is to be open minded. Not just pure greed and self interest only.

Protestant schools certainly do not take only Protestants in their schools. They give in general first choice to Protestants.

salmocab wrote: »
    Protestant schools certainly do not take only Protestants in their schools. They give in general first choice to Protestants.

I agree that it is not right. They are a minority so focus on that will not change much. I don't know why people here focus on it much.

State funding:

Current expenditure:
    Teacher's pay and pensions.
    Secretary
    Ancillary grant - covers caretaker etc.
    Capitation grant - €375/student per yr (this is way higher for students with special needs).
    ICT grant (covers technology) (5 million total pot depends on size of school but can be tens of thousands in larger ones)
    School books grant (seed capital to start school books rental scheme)
    DEIS grant which covered schools identified as needing extra assistance for social inclusion.
    Minor works grants - pays for minor capital upgrades to buildings.
    Then you've major capital grants for buildings, site acquisition and so on.

Outside of that money is raised by schools themselves - usually fundraising from parents or through various drives. The sponsors typically don't put significant money in.

Overall the Irish government spends €10.8 billion a year on education in general.

Differences in facilities and martials are down to how an individual school prioritised it's expenditure. Some will place more emphasis on ICT for example than others. It can vary very significantly depending on who's driving the management priorities - principal and board of management.

The biggest issue that I would be concerned about here is the duplication/triplication that goes on in cities and towns. You can have huge numbers of very small schools - I've looked at lists that have shown 10 primary schools in one suburb of a city for example.

The issue with that is it's driven by diversify of sponsors - different religions, different religious orders, gender segregation (more common in cities than rural areas), gaelscoils, educate together etc and as more religious communities establish, there'll be more demand for more school because we never developed a public school model.

Each school has buildings, overheads, secretaries, management costs etc etc and it's a big part of why money gets spread so thin.

Also it's providing education based on needs of religious communities and their concerns, rather than looking at the best outcome for students, best facilities and supports for staff, impact on the overall state financial position.

If we maximize the expenditure by creating umpteen versions of primary and secondary schools in urban areas we also pull money from budgets that could be helping small schools in rural areas that have no option but to be small scale.

It also absorbs funds that could be going into school libraries, funding support services like psychologists, support teachers and specialist services, special needs assistance, ICT, books, sports facilities, STEM facilities etc etc

Look at something like school meals: we've primary schools on such a small scale that things like school meals are even way too complex to provide. Whereas that's rather normal in many European countries.

I just see a system that seems to be entirely driven by nominal sponsors' (private interests) perceived needs and not educational or societal needs.

Vol schools typically only receive 70% of the funding they need from the state, ETB schools get 100% of funding.

Vol schools typically only receive 70% of the funding they need from the state, ETB schools get 100% of funding.

The other % is made up by voluntary contributions though. It's not coming from the church. It's coming from the parents and sometimes fund raising drives by the schools themselves for exceptional items.

too many differences, too much hassle. Every school should just get 110% from the state and no admission policies should be allowed. I think religious schools will keep their identity anyway. Educating children is not something to be greedy about.

Much better for the future ;)

• Advertisement

And worth pointing out that Educate Togeyher schools aren’t the only multi-denominational schools out there - many Gaelscoileanna under the Foras are also multi-d.

Advertisement