Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Karate in 2024 Olympics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Shmuel Chubby Staple

Damo W wrote: »

Pity.

I'd rather see that ridiculous TKD dropped from the Olympics to be replaced by something a bit more hands on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Smithyy1

Karate do not want, but taekwondo is ...

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭creeper1

I think there is a take that sports that look the same should be merged or one dropped.

To me having briefly watched a taekwondo and karate match on YouTube they look remarkably similar.

In fact the only obvious difference was the taekwondo fighters wear body protection.

I’m sure someone gifted in karate could perform well in the other sport and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

creeper1 wrote: »
    I’m sure someone gifted in karate could perform well in the other sport and vice versa.

If it was ITF style then you'd have some chance. Not a hope in WTF, which is the olympic version. And also not a hope anyone that's WTF trained could compete in Karate at a high level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Shmuel Chubby Staple

WTF is the Korean version of Morris Dancing IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Pity.

I'd rather see that ridiculous TKD dropped from the Olympics to be replaced by something a bit more hands on.

Depending on which Karate style was going to be in. Full-Contact, Knockdown [ala Kyokushin] or the point style version. If it was the point version the only difference in that and the TKD format would be more punches thrown.

Advertisement