Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

1636465666769»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

rachelmcg wrote: »
    Well done, keep up the good work :) Im still on one tablet a day.. I dont care if people tell me to woman up and cop on because thats not the dosage etc and that 2 nights with no sleep is nothing.

Off them 1 month and 6 days. Half the time I forget I used to smoke or rarely even think of them.

Looking forward to coming back on in a few years saying Im still off them ;)

Keep up the good work all. It really is worth it & I don't mean monetary. I'm coming up to five years in a few weeks & Champix made the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Success with champix here too. Off the smokers for two months now.

Pretty much standard schedule from what I read about others. Went off the cigs on day 10 or so and haven't had one since. Off the tablets for a month too and no problem really at this stage. Still think sometimes how lovely a fag would be, but it passes quickly.

I cant say, however, that it turned me off the fags. I didn't experience what a lot of others said. Champix didn't turn cigs into something vile for me. I still had to make a conscious effort. Champix just took the edge off it.

And I'd still view a cigarette as something nice like a good cup of coffee or so. And I'd still love one every now and then. Its just that I know I can't have it without the addiction and I cant have the addiction since I'll be back to square one of having 20 and feeling sh1te. And like I said it passes quickly.

So far so good. I have every intention of staying off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

Trial number 3 to quit. Different mindset this time, found out why I started smoking in the 1st place and managed to stop sigs on 5th day after only taking small tablets ones a day without increasing my dosage.
    I think you have to quit nicotine and any alternatives at the same time, that's why I didn't want to complete the champix course, since it interacts with your nicotine receptors, which keeps them active. We want them to be dormant and stop asking to be interacted with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Started champix last week.. haven't felt like Fag today so haven't smoked, so debating here now whether to make today my give up day or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I had a pack of Champix in the medicine cabinet for months.
    Last night I decided I was sick of smoking so I took the first tablet.

But then I started reading horrifying things online about the side effects and it scared me so much I binned the packet.

Today has been weird as I only had 1 cigarette and it tasted vile.
    Surely one tablet can't have worked that well?
    I don't know how to feel.

I like how Champix seem to work but I cannot get over the side effects and my fella said he would be worrying about them too so I don't want to cause concern.

The risk of depression and suicide is apparently great in those with a history of depression and I have suffered with depression in the past so I'm anxious to take Champix.

Has anyone taken them with a history of depression and how did they affect you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

They affect people differently. Certainly would not start taking them without speaking with a doctor. One tablet is not going to alter your smoking habits. If you are finding you do not want to smoke it will not be down to the tablet.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

As gimli2112 said it can have different effects so always speak to a doctor before taking the Champix, the Champix worked for me with the support of this thread must be off them 7 years now (TG) hope you succeed in giving them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Megwepz

Hi...long time reader - 1st time poster!

I'm a 29 yr old with borderline hypertension and the most amazing 7 year old boy to be worrying about. I smoke about 20 cigarettes a day and other than the months that I was pregnant I have never been able to kick the habit. Have finally taken the plunge with the Champix after my last doctor's appointment revealed increasingly high blood pressure and having been reassured and encouraged by all of the comments in this this thread (thank you!).

Took the first one on Friday night so today is day 4 and the 1st day of taking the 2 tablets. So far so good, no real nausea (a bit of what I would describe as butterflies but not unpleasant :-)) and no effect on my sleep as of yet. (Was most worried about the sleep/dreams as I am a bad sleepwalker and thought these may just send me over the edge!!!). Today is the first day that the cigarettes taste a bit 'off' but have still had as many as usual.

Really hoping that this is the start of a new, smoke free, healthier Megwepz so please keep your fingers crossed and thanks again for the comments that helped motivate me to give up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Nice reading all your experiences everyone :) Going to my Doc in the morning to try the Champix will keep ye posted on my progress , ultimate goal for 2018 is to be off the smokes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Megwepz

Best of luck Pudzey101 - I am on my 15th day and have not had a cigarette in 5 days - genuinely don't feel a physical craving which is just amazing. I do think to myself every now and again 'I'll just nip out for a cigarette now...' and laugh when I have to remind myself that I don't smoke anymore. Have had a bit of nausea, tiredness and a fair unpleasant/vivid dreams but A1 other than that!

(Just a tip - do shop around before buying, I bought my 1st 4 week initiation pack for €128.00 - found it in 2 other pharmacies for €105.00 and €89.95 - my chemist refunded me the difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Just posting so not to start a new thread.
    Started yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Just posting so not to start a new thread.
    Started yesterday.
    How are you getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Harpy wrote: »
    Started champix last week.. haven't felt like Fag today so haven't smoked, so debating here now whether to make today my give up day or not..
    Off them 10 weeks now.. stopped taking the champix after about 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Was on them a few years back. Great for giving up the smokes - effortless and easy, you just find you don't really want them anymore. But unfortunately they triggered a depressive episode in me before long so I had to go off them, and then before long back came the smokes.

I'm making a serious attempt at kicking them now only a few years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 gledge

I'm on Champix for the second time, worked great first time was off for 3 months but had one on a night out thinking i could "have the one". Obviously not the case! Does anyone have any experience second time around, is it easier/ harder? Have had to pilfer a few pills off people and only taking 1mg a day...day 7 in and today is my quit day (36 tablets remaining in my stash)...so far so good. Should I bite the bullet and go get prescription or have people had succses with just over a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DMCC71

Well done everyone!!!! I am smoke free 5 1/2 years now and I really believe that this thread helped me as much as the champix.
    Now I don’t even think about smoking and the usual triggers have faded into the background and it has been that way for a long time!!!
    Keep up the good work, it is really worth it!

Advertisement