Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Al Capwned wrote: »
    The case of Mick and Mairead Philpott, who started a fire in their council house in an attempt to frame his former girlfriend. Shocking.

Mick-and-Mairead-Philpott-010.jpg

278231-mick-philpott-and-wife-mairead.jpg

Philpott-trial-Inside-the-house-where-the-fire-broke-out-1798199.jpg

6 children died....

Duwayne,%2013,%20John,%209,%20Jayden,%205,%20Jade,%2010,%20Jesse,%206,%20and%20Jack,%207,%20who%20all%20died%20in%20a%20house%20fire%20in%20Derby-852641

Horrible horrible horrible. They were all meant to be great kids and little Jack there with a Dubs Jersey on. God bless them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Horrible horrible horrible. They were all meant to be great kids and little Jack there with a Dubs Jersey on. God bless them.

Was the fire in Ireland or Britain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Was the fire in Ireland or Britain?

Britain. It was the one where the parents got done for it. If you turn on the 9 o clock news id say you'll hear all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

ronanogara.jpg
    Shook Irish rugby anyway, probably not the world though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

This is Reinhard Heydrich. He was dubbed "Hitler's Hangman", was a prominent leader in the SS, SD and the Gestapo. During his tenure in Czechoslovakia, the brutality of the SS knew no bounds.

heydrich.jpg

On the 27th of May, 1942, two members of the Czech Resistance (who had been trained by the British Special Operations Executive), threw a bomb at Heydrich's car as he travelled to work. Below are the remains of his car.

heydrichs-car-after-assassination-attempt.jpg

Heydrich died from blood poisoning he sustained from the wounds he received on the 4th of June, 1942. He was 38 years old.

Following the assassination, the assassins were falsely linked to the Czech village of Lidice. On the orders of Hitler and Himmler, the SS exacted a terrible revenge.

The massacred bodies of all of the men of the village:
    Lidice_massacred_men.jpg

SS soldiers stand amid the ruins of the village:
    lidice3c.jpg

Altogether, about 340 people from Lidice died because of the German reprisal (192 men, 60 women and 88 children). Only 153 women and 17 children returned after the war.

A memorial to the massacred children of Lidice:
    lidice_pomnik.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

There is a great story about the King's crown in Czech folklore. It is said that any false King that dons the crown will die within a year. This proved true in the 20th century. When the Nazi's took over Heydrich put the crown on. He was dead within 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Appropriate given today's events:

On the 12th of October 1984, the Irish Republican Army bombed the Grand Hotel in Brighton. At the time, then-Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and her cabinet were staying in the hotel. She was the main target.

Although she and most of her cabinet escaped without major injury or death, 5 people, including Sir Anthony Berry and Eric Taylor (both high-ranking members of the Conservative Party), were killed and 34 were injured.

Following the bombing, in the early hours of the morning, Prime Minister Thatcher gave a statement to the waiting press and showed nothing but fierce determination to continue.

brighton-bomb_1499688c.jpg

BrightonBombingChronicle-October-2.jpg

brightonnewsstory.jpg

_46534700_brighton512.jpg

brighton-bomb-2.jpg

The RH Baroness Thatcher (1925-2013)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭b318isp

^^^^ The Czech massacre reminded me of this:

Oradour-sur-Glane
    Investigation recently reopenedl

This is story of where the German army shot all the men of the village in the centre of the the town. They then herded the women and children into the local church, threw in grenades and set fire to them while still alive. The village was then raised.

Oradour-sur-Glane_0017_e.jpg

314x400xOradour-sur-Glane.pagespeed.ic.kpkroAYaNe.jpg

Oradour-sur-Glane-Bundesarchiv.jpg

The village has been left as it was - everything is still there. Here are a few of my own pics from 2011:

6097370723_c88c565453_z.jpg

6097920016_52fd55339a_z.jpg

6097909930_6bc9179a1e_z.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can't find a picture of it

There is a Russian graveyard which has hundreds of markers.

Each one represents a village where everyone was killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

b318isp wrote: »

This is story of where the German army shot all the men of the village in the centre of the the town. They then herded the women and children into the local church, threw in grenades and set fire to them while still alive. The village was then raised.

The village has been left as it was - everything is still there. Here are a few of my own pics from 2011:

I've been there a couple of times, it's amazing. Eerily still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

Survivors of the USS Indianapolis arrive in Guam aboard the Tranquility after 5 days at sea. Of the 900 who made it into the water, only 317 remained alive. The tragedy was one of the worst in naval history, and perhaps better known as the worst shark attack ever recorded. It was made famous by 'that' scene in Jaws. The world's first operational atomic bomb was delivered by the Indianapolis to the island of Tinian on 26 July 1945.
    The ship's captain, the late Charles Butler McVay III, survived and was court-martialed and convicted of "hazarding his ship by failing to zigzag" despite overwhelming evidence that the Navy itself had placed the ship in harm's way, despite testimony from the Japanese submarine commander that zigzagging would have made no difference, and despite that fact that, although over 350 navy ships were lost in combat in WWII, McVay was the only captain to be court-martialed. Materials declassified years later adds to the evidence that McVay was a scapegoat for the mistakes of others.

Mochitsura Hashimoto, captain of the Japanese submarine, was actually flown to Washington after the war to give evidence in McVays defence.

Full story: http://www.ussindianapolis.org/

uss_indianapolis.jpg

The USS Indianapolis

indianapolis_1.jpg

Image taken from a documentary about the incident, which incidentally, was narrated by Richard Dreyfuss.

TRANQUILITY-ARRIVES-AT-GUAM-WITH-SURVIVORS.jpg

Tranquility arrives to port

TRANQUILITY-UNLOADS-SURVIVORS-AT-GUAM.jpg

USS_Indianapolis-survivors_on_Guam.jpg

Survivors are unloaded

0.jpg

Robert Shaw as he appeared in Jaws

"Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian Delady, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know, you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know. `Cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like `ol squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark would go for nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.

Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, bosom's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He'd a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, July the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

dyer wrote: »
    Survivors of the USS Indianapolis arrive in Guam aboard the Tranquility after 5 days at sea. Of the 900 who made it into the water, only 317 remained alive. The tragedy was one of the worst in naval history, and perhaps better known as the worst shark attack ever recorded. It was made famous by 'that' scene in Jaws. The world's first operational atomic bomb was delivered by the Indianapolis to the island of Tinian on 26 July 1945.

Mochitsura Hashimoto, captain of the Japanese submarine, was actually flown to Washington after the war to give evidence in McVays defence.

Full story: http://www.ussindianapolis.org/

The USS Indianapolis

Image taken from a documentary about the incident, which incidentally, was narrated by Richard Dreyfuss.

Tranquility arrives to port

Survivors are unloaded

Robert Shaw as he appeared in Jaws

"Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian Delady, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know, you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know. `Cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like `ol squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark would go for nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.

Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, bosom's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He'd a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, July the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb".

Some good books written about this also. In Harms Way by Doug Stanton was my favourite of them. He gave a very detailed account of it. Some shocking parts to it also as they described being in the water with Fuel in the water around then and they were dehydrating and then having to deal with Shark attacks. Great insight as to how those who survived did so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Shocked most law enforment agencies in the U.S. Was talking to a friend of mine training as a cop in the states. During his training he was made watch the video of the murder of police officer Kyle Dinkheller. It is extremely distressing.
    mqdefault.jpg

Dinkheller pulled over a vehicle for speeding. Normal routine. Driver of the vehicle was acting pretty strangely. Dinkheller was asking him a few questions when all of the sudden the driver of the speeding vehicle get's increasingly aggressive. Brannan, the driver of the speeding vehicle, began to walk back towards his vehicle. He reached in a grabbed an M1 rifle. A shootout broke out. Dinkheller was hit several times in the arms and legs and tried to prop himself up in the drivers seat. Brannan began to reload his rifle while Dinkheller was screaming. Brannan walked up Dinkheller and fired off two rounds into Dinkheller's head. The screaming and the blood curdling are what get me. I had no clue what I was watching. You do.

***WARNING: I ADVISE YOU NOT TO WATCH THIS VIDEO. IT WILL BE PLACED AS A LINK AS OPPOSED TO BEING SHOWN DIRECTLY HERE***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6z8q4lOrDU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Shocked most law enforment agencies in the U.S. Was talking to a friend of mine training as a cop in the states. During his training he was made watch the video of the murder of police officer Kyle Dinkheller. It is extremely distressing.
    mqdefault.jpg

Dinkheller pulled over a vehicle for speeding. Normal routine. Driver of the vehicle was acting pretty strangely. Dinkheller was asking him a few questions when all of the sudden the driver of the speeding vehicle get's increasingly aggressive. Brannan, the driver of the speeding vehicle, began to walk back towards his vehicle. He reached in a grabbed an M1 rifle. A shootout broke out. Dinkheller was hit several times in the arms and legs and tried to prop himself up in the drivers seat. Brannan began to reload his rifle while Dinkheller was screaming. Brannan walked up Dinkheller and fired off two rounds into Dinkheller's head. The screaming and the blood curdling are what get me. I had no clue what I was watching. You do.

***WARNING: I ADVISE YOU NOT TO WATCH THIS VIDEO. IT WILL BE PLACED AS A LINK AS OPPOSED TO BEING SHOWN DIRECTLY HERE***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6z8q4lOrDU

They are made watch it to show what exactly not to do i guess.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Folks, what's with all the chat? Cut it out please. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lanyard

Chardon High School Shooting - Ohio, USA

On the 27 Feb 2012, TJ Lane walks into his school cafeteria and shoots and kills three of his fellow students.

s-TJ-LANE-large.jpg
    - TJ Lane

On the day of his sentencing, he calmly removes his shirt to reveal his taunting message to the families of his victims - KILLER

51492e4a5fc97_TJ-Lane.jpg

When asked by the Judge if he has anything to say for himself he turns to the families:

tumblr_mjzb7pfUKw1qcvi05o1_400.gif

TJ received three life sentences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chardon_High_School_shooting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

318228d1321838310-dead-baby-street-no-one-care-1_wm.jpg

I saw this in Bizarre magazine a number of years ago.The above was taken in a town somewhere in China and shows the body of a new born baby girl that was dumped by her parents.Countless people walked by her and passed no remarks what so ever.

More on it here.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 renticular

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Snip <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• Registered Users Posts: 17 renticular

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Snip <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6z8q4lOrDU[/QUOTE]

Caution, be awre of the above warning

375526d1341470233-deputy-kyle-dinkheller-shot-death-longer-no-watermark-0001041320.jpg
    Brannan

normal.jpg
    Dinkheller

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Just to mark the 24th anniversary of Hillsborough, and the first one since the truth finally came out...

This was posted last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Bastards whoever committed this:

s_b02_98785260.jpg

s_b04_55748869.jpg

s_b05_09674561.jpg

s_b03_79465430.jpg

***warning - Very graphic****
    http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/bos041513/s_b08_53227478.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

....................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SNiP <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Utter scum bags who done this.

LiveLeak-dot-com-fffbd2f02523-9973_10200138335994516_1816702752_n.jpg.resized.jpg?d5e8cc8eccfb6039332f41f6249e92b06c91b4db65f5e99818bad1904d43dbd10cfd&ec_rate=200
    LiveLeak-dot-com-ca79edee791b-44846_10200138353114944_506428241_n.jpg.resized.jpg?d5e8cc8eccfb6039332f41f6249e92b06c91b4db65f5e99818bad1904d43dbd10cfd&ec_rate=200
    LiveLeak-dot-com-20fe43546245-320094_10200138351314899_1894919719_n.jpg.resized.jpg?d5e8cc8eccfb6039332f41f6249e92b06c91b4db65f5e99818bad1904d43dbd10cfd&ec_rate=200
    LiveLeak-dot-com-74831a009119-529321_10200138370035367_1609988212_n.jpg.resized.jpg?d5e8cc8eccfb6039332f41f6249e92b06c91b4db65f5e99818bad1904d43dbd10cfd&ec_rate=200

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

insanely graphic and very NSFW:
    http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18kqrf61gulnnjpg/xlarge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

On New Years Day 2009, a San Francisco police officer shot and subsequently killed a man, Oscar Grant, who was prone on the ground. He drew his gun instead of taser :eek:

Shooting takes place at around the 1.15min mark. Watch the police officers reaction as the realisation of what he did sets in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Police_shooting_of_Oscar_Grant

• Advertisement

The struggle begins around 1:20.

Advertisement