Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cushendall as a base for a week in Antrim?

• 22-06-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi,
    Hoping to visit Antrim for a week in August. We're 2 adults and 4 kids.
    As a family of 6, self-catering is the only practical option.

Looked at a couple of one-off self-catering cottages in Cushendall (as opposed to a holiday home village - couldn't seem to find any of those) ...

We'd like to be close to the North Antrim coast, and still a handy day-trip to Belfast if we want to go to the city for a couple of day-trips.

Any recommendations welcome. Is there a beach in Cushendall? Is Ballycastle beach close enough from a base in Cushendall?

If anyone had a good experience of something similar, would love to hear.

Thanks!
    /M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Cushendall?

why not?

nice little town with loads of countryside.

Belfast is a little over an hour by car away, the other direction you have the Giants causeway (with it's new visitors centre) , Carricarede rope bridge and if you've watched Game of Thrones, they filmed at Ballintoy harbour i and the beach at downhill is where they burned the old gods.

there are beaches all along that coast, some hidden and deserted, some more populated, but bear in mind how far North it is. good weather, and it can be lovely. but the weather can't be guaranteed!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Cushendall is a bit out of the way but is only 30 minutes from the North coast. Best beaches are Around Portrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

nice part of the country, I usually visit Antrim every year with the family, sightseeing and shopping. Although, strangely enough, I was speaking to someone who visited there a couple of years ago and when they came back from the beach, three Irish reg cars had been burnt out. I would always be wary when across the border, but I have never came across any of that kind of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭mr chips

Cushendall's a nice wee spot, with a couple of decent pubs/places to eat in Harry's and Upstairs at Joe's (the ground-floor pub is great, divided into several separate rooms/snugs and frequently has traditional music sessions). There's also the Glens Hotel - I haven't eaten there in donkey's years, but AFAIK the restaurant's well-enough regarded. There is a beach that doesn't get massively crowded, a nice cliff-walk around towards the ruined church at Layd with centuries-old gravestones, a golf club if you're into that sort of thing, etc. It's a beautiful part of the world. Traffic can sometimes get a bit busy, as it's on the famous Antrim coast road that's deservedly popular with day-trippers, bikers, bus-tours etc.

Ballycastle is about 15 miles away along a very good road, Waterfoot and Cushendall are a few miles in either direction and Carnlough is a little further south along the same coast road - decent pubs there too. The Causeway would be about a 45-minute drive.

Check the Discover Northern Ireland website if you still need to find self-catering accommodation, it's got a pretty comprehensive database of what's available where - and usefully, normally lists prices as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

Thanks for the replies.

We ended up basing ourselves in Ballycastle for the week.

We had a lovely time. It really is a beautiful part of the world, and I honestly think the majority of people here in the South have NO idea what they're missing, only a few hours up the road.

We took the coast road from Ballycastle down to Belfast one sunny afternoon, and I was just blown away by the scenery. It was magnificent.

Would love to go back again and maybe explore more of the Glens.

I was surprised to see so many boarded up buildings even around the strand in Ballycastle. It's a lovely little seaside town, and it's a shame that there isn't more accommodation available as an ideal base for the whole Causeway Coast. Surely someone with a bit of cash could make a go of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay.

There are lots of gems in Antrim that a lot of people are missing out on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Adamzapple777

A great wee spot for a couple of days break and if the suns out its heaven.

Advertisement