Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish phone number in EU

Options
  • 09-10-2019 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm moving to Bulgaria in a couple of months but I need to keep my Irish mobile number for work, mostly for just taking calls. I'll be on roaming obvioulsy but I'm not sure of the rules other than the operator can cancel your contract if abuse is suspected. Has anybody any experience of keeping their Irish number while living in the EU?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yup, not in the EU but in the EEA and I use my irish sim mostly for incoming calls and have a local sim so I have a local number.
    EU roaming is "free" so it doesn't cost me any more than at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Yup, not in the EU but in the EEA and I use my irish sim mostly for incoming calls and have a local sim so I have a local number.
    EU roaming is "free" so it doesn't cost me any more than at home.

Thanks for that. Yes, that's how I'll be using mine too, mostly for incoming calls, as I'll have a local number in Bulgaria. I read up on it a bit more since posting this and my understanding now is that they can cancel your contract (after a warning) if abuse is suspected but you'll still keep the number. They'll just charge you their standard rates instead of the contract rates. I can live with that. Just need the number to stay alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ca_va

I've been living in Paris for the last 2 years and have kept my Irish sim card. I have a dual sim phone so have my French and Irish cards on the go at the same time. I haven't had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Ca_va wrote: »
    I've been living in Paris for the last 2 years and have kept my Irish sim card. I have a dual sim phone so have my French and Irish cards on the go at the same time. I haven't had any issues.

Thanks for info. Do you have a contract for the Irish SIM and do you use it much?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ca_va

jakdublin wrote: »
    Thanks for info. Do you have a contract for the Irish SIM and do you use it much?

Yes, I'm on a sim only contract. I use it for making and receiving Irish calls, but I'm not a massive phone person so probably only a couple of times a week. I use the data a lot as my allocation on my French contact is small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

Just make sure you topup the Irish phone number every 4 - 5 months. Vodafone can deactivate Sims that don't have a balance on the account for the length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

jakdublin wrote: »
    Hi. I'm moving to Bulgaria in a couple of months but I need to keep my Irish mobile number for work, mostly for just taking calls. I'll be on roaming obvioulsy but I'm not sure of the rules other than the operator can cancel your contract if abuse is suspected. Has anybody any experience of keeping their Irish number while living in the EU?

I know people on Irish and UK SIMS abroad in the EU for years and they've had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

8 Years and counting with my Irish Sim. Just Top up every couple of years :)

Advertisement