Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-05-2020, 08:43   #46
GreeBo
Registered User
 
GreeBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertj View Post
if wfh does increase significantly short term and people move to smaller towns, it will be interesting to see what towns/areas have infrastructure to support - schools, Creche’s, transport links, public amenities etc. As i understand it there is a shortage of school places in parts of the country?
100%, it's not there
Expecting people to move before it is available is crazy imo.
GreeBo is offline  
Advertisement
14-05-2020, 08:53   #47
Drifter50
Registered User
 
Drifter50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 492
I would be of the view to be careful of what you wish for. If wfh becomes widespread especially in our small country, why not lose all the expensive Irish employees and use workers in cheaper countries to do the same work. Surely the larger companies will take this as an opportunity to sideline expensive employees and manage expensive costs off their accounts
Drifter50 is offline  
14-05-2020, 08:56   #48
schmittel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeBo View Post
100%, it's not there
Expecting people to move before it is available is crazy imo.
Quote:
The chronic shortage of secondary school places in north Dublin has reached "crisis point" and is causing parents huge stress, Fingal TD Darragh O'Brien has warned.

And the Fianna Fail Spokesperson on Housing, Planning and Local Government says additional secondary school places are "urgently needed" in the north county.
https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dubli...point-17410711

Sure, they should stay in Dublin where the problem is worse.
schmittel is offline  
14-05-2020, 09:03   #49
Mike3287
Registered User
 
Mike3287's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter50 View Post
I would be of the view to be careful of what you wish for. If wfh becomes widespread especially in our small country, why not lose all the expensive Irish employees and use workers in cheaper countries to do the same work. Surely the larger companies will take this as an opportunity to sideline expensive employees and manage expensive costs off their accounts
Exactly what's going to happen

When the dust settles on this mess, consumer confidence is going to be rock bottom, every company is going to feel that pain and salaries are usually a companies biggest greatest expense

Why not reduce it?

I am wfh now, in IT and loving it right now, but I am not so naive to think it could be short lived
Mike3287 is offline  
Thanks from:
14-05-2020, 09:23   #50
schmittel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter50 View Post
I would be of the view to be careful of what you wish for. If wfh becomes widespread especially in our small country, why not lose all the expensive Irish employees and use workers in cheaper countries to do the same work. Surely the larger companies will take this as an opportunity to sideline expensive employees and manage expensive costs off their accounts
Absolutely undoubtedly what they will do. But I don't think anybody is wishing for that. Just recognising the reality of what is going to happen.
schmittel is offline  
Advertisement
14-05-2020, 09:36   #51
Sofa King Great
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 517
Will working from home change the criteria for hiring someone? If you want to work from home will you need to demonstrate that you have appropriate working space as opposed to your kitchen table? Will enployers avoid people with kids or a stay at home spouse because it will impact productivity?

We are not "working from home" at the moment - we are working during a pandemic. The things people are accepting at the moment in terms of turnaround time, patchy zoom meetings, kids interrupting will not be sustainable for the long term.
Sofa King Great is offline  
(4) thanks from:
14-05-2020, 11:10   #52
mvl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King Great View Post
Will working from home change the criteria for hiring someone? If you want to work from home will you need to demonstrate that you have appropriate working space as opposed to your kitchen table? Will enployers avoid people with kids or a stay at home spouse because it will impact productivity? .
I'd assume so, same as until today (re procedures to allow wfh in the companies that have been doing that): proper office arrangements, with desk cabinets and stuff, proper broadband (so many are complaining their broadband is not good enough - then imo wfh is not ok)
And, as someone said on other thread, ppl may need to prove childcare arrangements too (thank god I am out of that pool now) ...
Some disruption it is, with winners and losers ...
- But I would be interested in the opportunities it uncovers. Might get the Dublin salary while working from my mortgaged house in Midlands, or even for cheaper in eastern europe
mvl is offline  
14-05-2020, 11:37   #53
whippet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,863
I've been working from home (about 90% of the time) for the last two years and my wife has been doing it full time for the last 10 years.

We were living in Dublin and moved out rural about 8 years ago - the compromise was that I'd have the commute and she would be able to do the school run etc.

it was all well and good until the recession ended and the commute became impossible - fortunately I was able to persuade my boss that I was able to remote work for a couple of days a week - eventually it became clear that WFH was a great option and 2 years ago the whole company was given the option and tools to do it.

It has been a game changer - I am living where I want to live, work where I want to work and can actively get involved in the local community as there is no commuting.

Broadband is an issue - I was on a really poor copper line - at best 6mb down and upload was non existent. However - we were still able to work on that speed - both of us. It only became a real problem when the lock down came in to effect and it just got worse with contention on the line. Fortunately fibre had just become available so now it's installed and everything is singing again.

The benefits to the local economy with Wfh can be immense - we spend more money and time locally; from lunches, coffees, shopping etc.

It makes sense and rather than spend money on building roads bringing more people in to the city centres - spend it on broadband, small community hot desk offices and maybe even tax breaks for companies who facilitate WFH
whippet is online now  
(6) thanks from:
14-05-2020, 11:44   #54
schmittel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet View Post
I've been working from home (about 90% of the time) for the last two years and my wife has been doing it full time for the last 10 years.

We were living in Dublin and moved out rural about 8 years ago - the compromise was that I'd have the commute and she would be able to do the school run etc.

it was all well and good until the recession ended and the commute became impossible - fortunately I was able to persuade my boss that I was able to remote work for a couple of days a week - eventually it became clear that WFH was a great option and 2 years ago the whole company was given the option and tools to do it.

It has been a game changer - I am living where I want to live, work where I want to work and can actively get involved in the local community as there is no commuting.

Broadband is an issue - I was on a really poor copper line - at best 6mb down and upload was non existent. However - we were still able to work on that speed - both of us. It only became a real problem when the lock down came in to effect and it just got worse with contention on the line. Fortunately fibre had just become available so now it's installed and everything is singing again.

The benefits to the local economy with Wfh can be immense - we spend more money and time locally; from lunches, coffees, shopping etc.

It makes sense and rather than spend money on building roads bringing more people in to the city centres - spend it on broadband, small community hot desk offices and maybe even tax breaks for companies who facilitate WFH
In that time have you noticed anything of an uptick in the area you're in? i.e more people moving their in favour of Dublin?

And in those 8 years have the amenities improved? (apart from the broadband!)
schmittel is offline  
Advertisement
14-05-2020, 11:55   #55
awec
Moderator
 
awec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 41,171
Mod: Rugby, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King Great View Post
Will working from home change the criteria for hiring someone? If you want to work from home will you need to demonstrate that you have appropriate working space as opposed to your kitchen table? Will enployers avoid people with kids or a stay at home spouse because it will impact productivity?

We are not "working from home" at the moment - we are working during a pandemic. The things people are accepting at the moment in terms of turnaround time, patchy zoom meetings, kids interrupting will not be sustainable for the long term.
It is more difficult to mentor people in a remote environment, so yes hiring will change a bit.

The bar for someone working remotely has always been a bit higher, there's nothing new there.
awec is offline  
(2) thanks from:
14-05-2020, 11:58   #56
denartha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,373
A friend of mine started a new job a fortnight everything from final interview, to onboarding and initial training happened from home.

As gets repeated it doesn't work for all companies and all roles, but some companies are already embracing it.
denartha is offline  
Thanks from:
14-05-2020, 12:01   #57
schmittel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by denartha View Post
A friend of mine started a new job a fortnight everything from final interview, to onboarding and initial training happened from home.

As gets repeated it doesn't work for all companies and all roles, but some companies are already embracing it.
Indeed and 15 years ago people would have scoffed at the idea of a skype job interview but it was commonplace even before the Covid lockdown.
schmittel is offline  
(4) thanks from:
14-05-2020, 12:02   #58
denartha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter50 View Post
I would be of the view to be careful of what you wish for. If wfh becomes widespread especially in our small country, why not lose all the expensive Irish employees and use workers in cheaper countries to do the same work. Surely the larger companies will take this as an opportunity to sideline expensive employees and manage expensive costs off their accounts
That happened in a company I worked for. Downsized the dublin contingent from 300 to about 30 opting for India based workers instead. It lasted about 6 months and the Dublin office was upsized again. Often times, you get what you pay for.
denartha is offline  
(2) thanks from:
14-05-2020, 12:07   #59
whippet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittel View Post
In that time have you noticed anything of an uptick in the area you're in? i.e more people moving their in favour of Dublin?

And in those 8 years have the amenities improved? (apart from the broadband!)
There was plenty of amenities there already - GAA, Soccer, pubs, a couple of small restaurants / cafes, golf courses etc. and your a 5-10 min drive from a large town.

The area is a small town close enough to a provincial town - so schools are fine, about a 1km walk to the national school and there are plenty of secondary options via bus, cycling etc.

What I have notices is that there are quite a few remote workers and you get to know them in local coffee shops etc.
whippet is online now  
Thanks from:
14-05-2020, 12:11   #60
denartha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittel View Post
Indeed and 15 years ago people would have scoffed at the idea of a skype job interview but it was commonplace even before the Covid lockdown.
Actually 10 years ago I was hired via a skype interview.
denartha is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet