Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-01-2019, 23:05   #1
Sunrise_Sunset

New build: price negotiable?

Are new builds price negotiable?
For example, a new phase of houses is launching that we might be interested in. For the last phase, just a few months back, people camped outside the estate agent overnight. All 39 houses sold on the first day.
When I checked the Property Price Register recently, they were listed at all different prices! So I thought maybe some people bargained a better price. But if they queued out overnight, the estate agent/developer would have known they'd sell out pretty quickly and surely they wouldn't have accepted any offers below asking price?
If we decide to go for one of these houses, I'd love to go in at below asking price initially see how it panned out.
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 23:06   #2
Creamy Goodness

Property price register is sale price minus VAT. House prices can vary depending on the amount of rooms/garden size/location on the site. Not all houses in new developments are sold at the “from: €xxxK” price

As you said people were queuing for these houses. You can try low ball but my guess is you’ll end up disappointed.
09-01-2019, 23:09   #3
Stanford

The sale of a house between Sellor and Purchaser is negotiable provided one party is prepared to negotiate, sometimes a development will sell out quickly if the Developer is anxious to sell quickly and move on, have a go.
10-01-2019, 07:02   #4
Sunrise_Sunset

I think I'd be plucky enough to initially go in below asking price. All they can say is no, and then I'd offer the asking price there and then. I wouldn't have thought so before I saw the PPR.
I know that the PPR shows the cost of new builds before VAT. But the prices still appear to vary quite a bit. Pity it doesn't show if they are 2/3/4 bedrooms. Can they charge different prices for south/north facing etc? Although these houses in question are on the same block so they are all facing the same way.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 08:55   #5
L1011

If they don't all sell immediately you may have a chance - but in the current market it's basically a no.

Different prices may be from custom requests also. If you buy off the plans or otherwise early in construction it's normally possible to request alterations
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 08:58   #6
big syke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lililanny View Post
I think I'd be plucky enough to initially go in below asking price. All they can say is no, and then I'd offer the asking price there and then. I wouldn't have thought so before I saw the PPR.
I know that the PPR shows the cost of new builds before VAT. But the prices still appear to vary quite a bit. Pity it doesn't show if they are 2/3/4 bedrooms. Can they charge different prices for south/north facing etc? Although these houses in question are on the same block so they are all facing the same way.
The prices vary due to the finish of the house.

An extra dozen electrical/internet points, external plugs, inclusion or removal of fake fireplaces etc
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 08:58   #7
Sheep Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
If they don't all sell immediately you may have a chance - but in the current market it's basically a no.

Different prices may be from custom requests also. If you buy off the plans or otherwise early in construction it's normally possible to request alterations
As someone who has just bought a new build it was a No on price....

Trying to see if we can tweak a few things as the building progresses- is like pulling teeth
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 09:18   #8
Henry Ford III

If people are camping overnight to ensure they can buy a unit the chances of any discount are pretty low I'd have thought
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 09:22   #9
cruizer101

I can't see any reason a builder would give a discount if there is a queue of people behind you willing to pay asking.
If anything I wouldn't be surprised if some people tried offering more to secure a house before any queuing.

The different house prices are probably down to different finishes maybe even slightly different garden sizes, even if all facing the same way different positions worth different amounts, whats opposite the house, end of culdesac, etc.
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 09:34   #10
GingerLily

If you go in there and annoy them when they have a queue of people behind you they may decide your not worth the hassle.
10-01-2019, 09:38   #11
Henrys Grimey Paws

As others have said, prices are different due to a number of different things. Houses with south or south-westerly facing rear gardens will cost more than east/north facing. In a new build you'll have the option of adding additional electrical points, getting the builders to put in the flooring, adding a gas outlet in the kitchen rather than electric etc.

There's loads of reasons that people will pay more/less than others, in addition some people may have bought the house off plans & they'll likely receive a discount for that.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 09:45   #12
cruizer101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerLily View Post
If you go in there and annoy them when they have a queue of people behind you they may decide your not worth the hassle.
This could be true

Builder: Next please, Whats your name, what house are you interested in and have you got deposit.
lililanny: Hi my name is lililanny, I was just wonder on the asking price is there any room for negotiat..
Builder: NEXT

Its not to say there is no chance of it, but given the market at the moment I'd say its not likely. See on the morning based on the queue and that, if big queue I wouldn't bother.
(2) thanks from:
10-01-2019, 09:50   #13

You might have more luck negotiating on the price of any alterations you request than the purchase price.

It's something I regret not trying to do when I bought. I got quotes from the builder for some alterations and then said Yes or No based on the price, I didn't try and negotiate.

No idea if he would have agreed to a lower price but from speaking to some of the subbies I worked out he was working off a 35% margin so there probably was room to negotiate.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 09:56   #14
salmocab

As others have said beyond the actual different house types the variances are more likely to have been peoples particular extras, electrical, paint, skirts and frames, doors, kitchens finish, attic conversions, flooring even the garden are all things some people might have got done by the builder, could be anywhere from a couple of hundred up to 15,000 difference easy enough.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 10:10   #15
vintagecosmos

I'd say depends on the development. I live near an area where there are multiple developments that have not sold out. Clontarf/malahide/portmarnock area. Granted the prices are pretty steep starting from about 500k.

One of them has houses on the market still after one year from launch.

Last edited by vintagecosmos; 10-01-2019 at 10:10. Reason: Update
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion