Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

16-04-2019, 19:04   #61
jimwallace197

Quote:
Originally Posted by voluntary View Post
No, I did not. Can't say much. Just read through their website. They act nearly like regular EAs, but are cheaper and more transparent.
There's quite a lot of adds on myhome posted by them.

Buyers put offers and sellers get immediate notifications. Seems quite all right and transparent. You still get the separation layer between you and the buyer as with a traditional EA. The agent deals with buyers and not yourself.
If an agent is cheaper, there is usually a good reason for that. The fact that they are on here shilling says alot, very desperate.
Advertisement
16-04-2019, 19:04   #62
jimwallace197

<SNIP>

MOD

Recommendations by PM please.

Last edited by Graham; 16-04-2019 at 19:25.
16-04-2019, 21:32   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwallace197 View Post
You couldnt afford to pay their fees but probably ended up getting a lot less for your property than you could have if used one.

Not at all. Compared with other houses selling on our estate at that time, we actually got one of the highest figures. Sellers have a choice, to use an EA or not. We chose not. We weren't in the business of squeezing every last drop from buyers, or playing a game, we just wanted a fair price, which we got.
16-04-2019, 23:13   #64
Roisin76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
Not at all. Compared with other houses selling on our estate at that time, we actually got one of the highest figures. Sellers have a choice, to use an EA or not. We chose not. We weren't in the business of squeezing every last drop from buyers, or playing a game, we just wanted a fair price, which we got.
After spending a number of months dealing with EAs we're basically fed up with them. I'm certain we would have already made a deal on at least two houses if we could directly talk to the owners. Estate agents are blocking information going both ways between buyers and sellers and I don't believe it's what sellers really want. My feeling is that both buyers and sellers would often like to sort out a sale quick and move forward.

The main reason houses aren't being sold in timely fashion is because EAs are delaying the sales.
17-04-2019, 00:29   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roisin76 View Post
After spending a number of months dealing with EAs we're basically fed up with them. I'm certain we would have already made a deal on at least two houses if we could directly talk to the owners. Estate agents are blocking information going both ways between buyers and sellers and I don't believe it's what sellers really want. My feeling is that both buyers and sellers would often like to sort out a sale quick and move forward.

The main reason houses aren't being sold in timely fashion is because EAs are delaying the sales.

As we've never used them I can't say what their practices are, but we discovered they were unnecessary. The only time I had any knowledge of an EA was when a neighbour told me he managed to get his house at a very low price because he 'knew the estate agent personally'. That sort of confirmed I was right not to bother with them.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-04-2019, 13:02   #66
jimwallace197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roisin76 View Post

That is absolutely ridiculous, you are making assumptions that have no basis in fact. Looking to blame estate agents because you are didnt get what you want. You dont know the owners, didnt speak to them but are nearly convinced you would have been able to negotiate a deal with them.
(3) thanks from:
17-04-2019, 13:26   #67
JoeA3

I don't agree with the negativity towards EA's here either.

I currently have my house on the market and my EA has been extremely professional and transparent, at least as far as I can see. Regularly updates me, arranges viewings with enough notice and has called me with feedback after the few viewings we've had so far. I cannot imagine a scenario where he wouldn't be disclosing me information about potential offers or genuine interest from a prospective buyer. We all want the house sold. Anything else is tinfoil hat nonsense.
Thanks from:
17-04-2019, 13:27   #68
InstaSte

Boardsies are generally anti anyone to do with property (estate agents / letting agents / landlords etc), so I would talk to friends / family as opposed to asking here.
Thanks from:
17-04-2019, 16:00   #69
Sleepy

JoeA3, you're paying your EA handsomely for that service. What I, and many others wonder, is if EAs can, as they claim, get you a price for your house that's higher than what you'd get on your own by a large enough margin to justify the expense of hiring them. As they work on a percentage of the sale price, and usually bill the seller for any marketing / administration expenses separately, it's a hell of a lot of money and unless they can persuade a buyer that a house is worth 5-10k more than the homeowner themselves could, it's a poor return on investment.
Advertisement
17-04-2019, 16:11   #70
JoeA3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
JoeA3, you're paying your EA handsomely for that service. What I, and many others wonder, is if EAs can, as they claim, get you a price for your house that's higher than what you'd get on your own by a large enough margin to justify the expense of hiring them. As they work on a percentage of the sale price, and usually bill the seller for any marketing / administration expenses separately, it's a hell of a lot of money and unless they can persuade a buyer that a house is worth 5-10k more than the homeowner themselves could, it's a poor return on investment.
For me, its a worthwhile investment. Do I want to be dealing with buyers / tyre kickers / arranging viewings and all the hassle and aggravation that goes with that? No way. Am I confident I'd be able to put my best foot forward and sell a house on my own bat? Again, no way. I personally would even be reluctant to try selling a car privately, never mind a 300k house.

I think you under estimate the effort required to do this. I've found it enough work in itself just getting the house in a presentable condition for the photos and viewings!
(2) thanks from:
17-04-2019, 18:40   #71
jimwallace197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Yah, you wonder, in other words you dont have a clue what you are talking about and unless you have some experience of actually working in the industry, then would be better off not promoting misinformed opinions. Truth is, if it was so easy, a lot more people would be doing it and making great money from it.

Alot of estate agencies that set up dont usually last longer than a year or two
Thanks from:
17-04-2019, 21:26   #72
Roisin76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwallace197 View Post
That is absolutely ridiculous...
Are you an EA or work for EA by any chance?
19-04-2019, 03:20   #73
utmbuilder

To be honest Dublin is pretty good value for agents , mostly everyone is 1% free valuation , free photos, no sale no fee

Small EAs covering 3 or 4 post codes could be holding 80k in deposits

1% of loads of 230k sales is 2300 +vat each after a 4 month lead time. The time for the free valuation, all the viewings all the calls, closing the deal, the photos, most still have shop fronts, my home fees, staff, insurance , probally ipav fees, then their marketing costs to get listings

Regulations loosened again for what trainee agents can do in November they can feature on bill boards now , write things down just got value

None are finding buyers , my home and daft are not enough anymore if you want a sale after August
They get a listing and have no way to market it other than the general old school methods in a decade when people are getting hit with ads online all day
Even if the agent did know how to run targeting campaigns why would he or she as they have margin left to do so. Less viewers less bids for home seller

The industry needed a shake up but young 30 year olds need to be regulated and the low margins will lead to problems emerging in the future

Mortgage brokers get 2% that's the business to.be in

Last edited by utmbuilder; 19-04-2019 at 03:25.
Thanks from:
19-04-2019, 06:10   #74
flowerific

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmbuilder View Post
id love someone to try yourbricks or auctioneera and let us know the outcome

600 euro aparently
I used the latter and it worked out well. They're both around 1299 plus VAT not 600.
20-04-2019, 02:21   #75
utmbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerific View Post
I used the latter and it worked out well. They're both around 1299 plus VAT not 600.
I believe auctioneera is a few people based out of Cork or Galway, fair play to them getting in on a bit of nationwide action. Although the Galway or Cork markets are pretty on fire at the moment. The name really went over peoples heads, what they are doing is simple, it takes a few visits to get that they are just bringing good value to the market.

The business model is sound, however relies on google adwords for them to get valuations from their cheap offering, if all the agents start clicking on their ads in Dublin, which I am sure is happening, their conversion rates must be in the toilet on google adwords. As soon as the IPAV members cop that not sure how they can sustain the ad costs. Adwords in an industry with heaps of agents seeing them is not a good mix, most post codes have 8 estate agencys in dublin averaging about 4 staff per agency, all chasing typically 700 to 900 sales per year in postcodes like d12, 22, 9 etc

A top digital guy would probably cost 2 of their salary's but would love to see them succeed. Someone mid level would just do the same tactics they are already doing for customer acquisition

Cheaper listings is a great business model, has to be simple for people to understand, and they really did'nt think out their targeting well at all, which appears little understand of digital strategy.

I reckon they are spending 6k a month on advertising, on google , and have limited costs being a rural agency.

I'm not an agent by the way just watch the market closely.

Auctioneera is a sign of things to come, before all agency's go online in the next decade.

It's cheap, its young owner is 34 with 100% of the share capital, its newly incorporated in march auctioneera ltd 2018 with no accounts filed yet, according to visionnet,

the price register should list the agents that sells propertys with the selling price, that really would give house sellers a better way to choose agents.

It's a sign of things to come with new, younger agents hitting the market, being 36 myself dont see it as a bad thing, but you know selling property is a big deal the public needs full transparency, I would like to see more not from auctioneera but from the whole industry as a whole with many new startup auctioneers.

Last edited by utmbuilder; 20-04-2019 at 02:57.
Thread Closed