Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Market 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Be sure to ask the estate agent to email you the current situation in relation to offers ie what, if any, offers are there currently on the property. Get this in writing as an unscrupulous agent may say there are offers when there are not. This is known as "ghost bidding." If there are no offers on the property, then obviously don't offer over the asking price.

Good luck trying to get an estate agent doing that tho. I was looking a gaff before Xmas last year, made an offer and was declined and I asked for the above and they rang me back to literally laugh at my request...house is still for sale and my buddy who was selling didn't go with this EA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Auctioneera

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Good luck trying to get an estate agent doing that tho. I was looking a gaff before Xmas last year, made an offer and was declined and I asked for the above and they rang me back to literally laugh at my request...house is still for sale and my buddy who was selling didn't go with this EA

All estate agents in Ireland are regulated by the PSRA. We are required by law to disclose the current offers on a property. We put all latest offers on our website and think that every estate agent should do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

All estate agents in Ireland are regulated by the PSRA. We are required by law to disclose the current offers on a property. We put all latest offers on our website and think that every estate agent should do this.

I think you are doing a bit of shilling here auctioneera. By law you are required to keep a record of bids, are you required to give in to bidders in writing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Auctioneera, please limit your posts to responding to specific questions or mentions of Auctioneera.

Any posts outside of this will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There's no such thing as "the best possible price" - there is the market price as determined by what the highest bidder is willing to pay. Estate agents facilitate offers to be made on properties. The idea that the market value of an asset varies by whom the agent is charged with selling it is a nonsense in our view.
    Every agent brings the market price to the vendor. The vendor decides to accept or reject that.

You are hardly doing a good job of advertising your own business with "come to us. we'll won't do any better than the others"

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    I think you are doing a bit of shilling here auctioneera. By law you are required to keep a record of bids, are you required to give in to bidders in writing?

We are obliged to disclose the current bidding situation yes. If someone asks us, or any agent, "are there any offers?" we must answer that question truthfully....as you would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EagerBeaverton

Dav010 wrote: »

Good question, be interested to know that myself particularly if it's law to provide that info in writing/email. Also a good reason why it's useful to have an actual EA here who can provide potentially verifiable information to us that we might not have known about.

You are hardly doing a good job of advertising your own business with "come to us. we'll won't do any better than the others"

In fairness to them they're being transparent about their business model. EAs get a lot of flack but they're upfront about their offering. Horses for courses.

Our view is that the market (the bidders) determine the price a property sells for, not the estate agent. You wouldn't expect to pay a different price for a share in a company for example, depending on the broker through which you bought it - why is a house any different. The market determines the price, not the agent.
    We charge a lower price than other agents so we let our vendors keep more of the value of their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EagerBeaverton

We are obliged to disclose the current bidding situation yes. If someone asks us, or any agent, "are there any offers?" we must answer that question truthfully....as you would expect.

Is it a requirement to provide that information in writing / email so there's a record that the PSRA can check against the EAs own records if a complaint of suspected ghost bidding was made?

Is it a requirement to provide that information in writing / email so there's a record that the PSRA can check against the EAs own records if a complaint of suspected ghost bidding was made?

An agent can provide the information verbally over the phone. However, I would request it in writing myself if I was buying as I think if an agent was inclined to ghost bid, he would prefer to do that over the phone as opposed to in writing.
    Sorry if I caused confusion: there is no requirement to email the latest bidding position - you can do that over the phone. I was advising that you should ask for it in writing.
    In fairness, the vast, vast majority of agents won't ghost bid anyway as that would risk their license, reputation and so their livelihood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

An agent told me the current offer over the phone, when i said I wasn't interested in viewing the property because the offer was too high he sounded surprised, i had a feeling that he gave some bull**** figure over the phone and probably regretted it because I lost interest in the property
    <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Our view is that the market (the bidders) determine the price a property sells for, not the estate agent. You wouldn't expect to pay a different price for a share in a company for example, depending on the broker through which you bought it - why is a house any different. The market determines the price, not the agent.
    We charge a lower price than other agents so we let our vendors keep more of the value of their property.

Bidders have to know about the property though. You need to know where to advertise it. That probably isn't as important for residential houses. And they have to be convinced of the merits of buying it. Certain Estate agents might have built up lists of people looking to buy that type of property too (depending on the type).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

1.2 million would buy close to 100% of properties in Enniskerry currently on my home.

How many are big detached houses on a 2 acre site ?

Mod Note

folks, I've deleted a few completely off-topic posts.

Welcome back to the Property Market 2020 thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Fair play Graham - deleting an interesting, engaging, informative and stimulating conversation. Nice job

Your posting style and attitude, would put me off ever using your service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

There is only two ways this can go. You either can't offer the same services as other agents or you never grow and can't attract the best talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

hurikane wrote: »
    Your posting style and attitude, would put me off ever using your service.

Likewise. Bizarre posts. Will stick with SF & the main agents myself !

Fair enough. We think paying several thousand Euro to sell a property is illogical. But that's what makes a market. Differences of opinion. I don't think any of our posts were "bizarre" though in fairness. We engaged meaningfully in the discussion. So we respectfully disagree with you paying SF et al so much.
    We think we will ultimately become the main agent...but we would say that of course.

Icepick wrote: »
    There is only two ways this can go. You either can't offer the same services as other agents or you never grow and can't attract the best talent.

I would politely encourage you to search for "auctioneera reviews" on google to see the opinion of those who have used our service to date. We think the market will ultimately eschew the high priced agencies in favour of ourselves. But of course we respect your different opinion. The market will ultimately decide.

Fair enough. We think paying several thousand Euro to sell a property is illogical. But that's what makes a market. Differences of opinion. I don't think any of our posts were "bizarre" though in fairness. We engaged meaningfully in the discussion. So we respectfully disagree with you paying SF et al so much.
    We think we will ultimately become the main agent...but we would say that of course.

You don't have a new business model. It's been tried and tested the world over, and there's a reason fees in the states remain a whopping 5-6% while in Ireland they are a measly .75-1.75%. you really do get what you pay for IMO.

It's not all about cost. Is all you grocery shopping from a retailers own brand because it's cheap?

• Advertisement

192 properties listed as sold, 96 Google reviews, that's some hit rate for reviews, congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

It’s like an estate agent with a Conor McGregor type persona.

Does anyone remember privateseller.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

I can't get over auctioneras condescending and patronizing tone. It's a train wreck since they decided to join this thread😂.

Can they be removed for their own good and the good of the forum. Sick of reading them in every second post.

Mod Note

on that note. A friendly reminder the discussion is Property Market 2020.

Any further off-topic posts will be deleted/infracted or result in a thread ban. If you have an issue with a post, please report it.

This applies to ALL posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I'm thinking there's some anxiety in this thread .. where do you think we are ?

514104.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭combat14

celtic_oz wrote: »

514104.jpg

Some denial too

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

celtic_oz wrote: »

514104.jpg

At the anxiety stage. Prices have a lot to drop yet.

addaword wrote: »
    At the anxiety stage. Prices have a lot to drop yet.

There's an entire "market completely frozen" point missing on that chart!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

combat14 wrote: »
    Some denial too

Egypt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

kippy wrote: »
    To support those that can't...... Among other reasons.

If I could afford a house being single with an average salary anybody can, but most people aren't willing to make sacrifices

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement