Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-11-2020, 13:30   #1
Hyus

Brodie helmets in the Free State military?

When looking at images of the Free State defence forces, it strikes me that the only headgear I see are either cloth caps or those stahlhelm looking helmets. Given that a lot of our other equipment was British (like Lee-Enfield rifles), was there any use of Brodie helmets by the Free State during the 1920s-30s? Or what about later during the Emergency?

Also, as a related side question, does anyone know if we had an equivalent during the Emergency to the civilian "Zuckerman helmets" issued in Britain? Given the bombing of Dublin and other parts of the country, I wondered if the government offered anything like that for sale to civilians or public servants (like the fire brigades), since neutrality obviously wasn't a guarantee of safety.

Last edited by Hyus; 18-11-2020 at 13:44.
Advertisement
20-11-2020, 14:19   #2
whisky_galore

https://www.military.ie/en/public-in...f-the-army.jpg

Yes they had Brodie ones from about 1940 onwards, the "Fritz" helmets were then painted white and cascaded down to Civil Defence and other Emergency services.
Before the Vickers helmets, just various types of forage cap, no helmets.
(3) thanks from:
20-11-2020, 17:41   #3
Mick Tator

They were in use certainly up to the late 50's in the regular army
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-11_14.JPG (495.5 KB, 30 views)
20-11-2020, 17:44   #4
Fann Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Tator View Post
They were in use certainly up to the late 50's in the regular army

Had one of them on my head in the early 80s as part of 20 Inf Batt FCA. ðŸ˜႒
25-11-2020, 16:36   #5
Samsonsmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyus View Post
When looking at images of the Free State defence forces, it strikes me that the only headgear I see are either cloth caps or those stahlhelm looking helmets. Given that a lot of our other equipment was British (like Lee-Enfield rifles), was there any use of Brodie helmets by the Free State during the 1920s-30s? Or what about later during the Emergency?

Also, as a related side question, does anyone know if we had an equivalent during the Emergency to the civilian "Zuckerman helmets" issued in Britain? Given the bombing of Dublin and other parts of the country, I wondered if the government offered anything like that for sale to civilians or public servants (like the fire brigades), since neutrality obviously wasn't a guarantee of safety.
British style helmets belt kit and the Bren Lee Enfield and Sten were used by the Irish Defence Forces during the Emergency and after. The American M1 helmet was used by Irish troops in the Congo. British Brodie helmets were replaced by helmets similar to the later pot shaped British helmets influenced by the WW2 British paratrooper helmet design which did away with the steel hat shape. The current helmet is s Rabintex design.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion