Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-11-2020, 15:46   #1
DrSerious3

Putting a map into local history study

What is the best way to put a map into a local study? I need a street map which I may have to design myself as it is from the the 19th century and everything has changed and I dont know what the best way to go about about it is. The essay will be published so needs to look somewhat professional!
Advertisement
14-11-2020, 17:34   #2
riffmongous

Depending on what exactly you want to do, you might want to try some GIS software, lookup the QGIS program
Thanks from:
14-11-2020, 19:51   #3
Manach

Second the QGIS. While ArcGIS is the professional mapping tool, I find QGIS easier to worth with. Gretchen Peterson's book on GIS mapping is an excellent read. Also, the OSI has an Open Data page at https://www.osi.ie/about/open-data/ which might have some useful resources.
Thanks from:
14-11-2020, 22:26   #4
gaiscioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSerious3 View Post
What is the best way to put a map into a local study? I need a street map which I may have to design myself as it is from the the 19th century and everything has changed and I dont know what the best way to go about about it is. The essay will be published so needs to look somewhat professional!

I asked a man named Stephen Hannon in UCD's School of Geography to make such maps for me years ago using my data. He did a superb job and there are obviously no copyright issues in terms of publishing. There'll almost certainly be somebody else there (and in the other third-levels) doing that job so you could ring them.
21-11-2020, 23:51   #5
Hermy

This link to UCD's online historic map collection may be of use...

https://digital.ucd.ie/maps/explorer/

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion