Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You probably would want to avoid the weekend of the 12th July also, will be very busy with cross border visitors.

That is true, escaping culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

We have 2 nights booked in the Hudson Bay late July, thinking of coming home for a night and then heading go Kerry for another 2 nights (we live in Clare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

One thing I’m determined not to do is cook, even though we’re staying in a holiday home. So it’ll be cereal and yogurt for breakfast and takeaways from restaurants in the locality for the other meals.

Agreed! I'm sick of cooking and cleaning, so I'll be damned if I'm doing that for 2 weeks while on holidays. We're staying in an Air BnB for 4 nights as part our 2 week staycation, but if we do any cooking at all, it'll be a frozen pizza. And I'll be getting himself to cook it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

Im trying to book somewhere start of July and I know I've left it late but anyone any ideas for finding places. Seems like no availability anywhere! We want to go Wexford waterford or cork. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Im trying to book somewhere start of July and I know I've left it late but anyone any ideas for finding places. Seems like no availability anywhere! We want to go Wexford waterford or cork. Thanks.

We found that quite few places showed online as booked or closed but when you call them they have availability. This was due to the system they used for online bookings and not sure about the social distancing requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

krissovo wrote: »
    We found that quite few places showed online as booked or closed but when you call them they have availability. This was due to the system they used for online bookings and not sure about the social distancing requirements.

Yes, you have to do some leg work
    Foreign tourists have cancelled holiday stays but websites haven't updated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Lots of deals popping up from the usual offerings (Pigsback etc.). Plenty of decent prices for two adults and two children (u12)

The issue we've had is that our eldest "child" is 17 so most online booking systems default to adding a second room

Understandably most places won't allow us on dinner deals as teens eat as adults

Looking at three nights in Midleton in late July (B&B) for c.€400

If online is showing no availability it might be best to shortlist some & ring around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Looking at the 18th-24th of July for two adults as a break away. Have not seen any deals to be honest but willing to travel anywhere in Ireland.

If anyone has recommendations please do shout :-) Booking.com aint throwing up much deals anyway. Maybe that's the worst site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

zweton wrote: »
    Looking at the 18th-24th of July for two adults as a break away. Have not seen any deals to be honest but willing to travel anywhere in Ireland.

If anyone has recommendations please do shout :-) Booking.com aint throwing up much deals anyway. Maybe that's the worst site?

Try pigback.com or if on FB check out the page Irish Mini Breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Is anyone offering travel insurance for a trip in Ireland, worried our end of July trip to Cork may get cancelled (accommodation) and its not refundable after June 29th?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Is anyone offering travel insurance for a trip in Ireland, worried our end of July trip to Cork may get cancelled (accommodation) and its not refundable after June 29th?

Our annual travel insurance covers domestic travel too. If your accommodation cancels though won’t you get refunded / offered an alternative date?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    Our annual travel insurance covers domestic travel too. If your accommodation cancels though won’t you get refunded / offered an alternative date?

Refund is until june 29th only, didnt say anything about offering alternative date, just wondering if their is a covid 19 single trip in ireland deal going, cancelled my annual 2 months ago.

Heading Monday

Don't care about weather.
    We'll just bring suitable clothing

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Hello , just trying to book on cottages4u for stay in Ireland but can't find reviews or places on Google maps

Is it generally a safe site to use, or can there be bogus listings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Heading Monday

Don't care about weather.
    We'll just bring suitable clothing
    Different strokes for different folks.

Only Suitable clothing for me on hols is shorts and T-shirt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hello , just trying to book on cottages4u for stay in Ireland but can't find reviews or places on Google maps

Never heard of them until now. They seem legit. They're called cottages.com on Facebook (@cottagescom) and they are getting a lot of complaints in the comments. I'd say it's the kind of gang that'll be fine if your booking goes ahead, but I wouldn't want to have to chase them for a refund if something goes wrong. I'd personally go with one of the bigger companies, unless their price was way cheaper.

Different strokes for different folks.

Only Suitable clothing for me on hols is shorts and T-shirt.

Never go skiing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Never go skiing
    Ah sure tis a different kind of cold entirely on the pist I'm told its not like the damp kind of cold we get in the whest of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

zweton wrote: »

Did you find somewhere, any idea where you want to go and the budget and you'll get some suggestions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Both https://www.imagineireland.com and Irish Mini breaks had some hood value deals but availability is getting tighter...

I was booking a stop at a hotel in Athlone last night (to break journey west and explore Hidden Heartlands) and noticed on the Sheraton website they stated they were strictly taking bookings only from “front line workers” and that you would have to produce proof at reception or be turned away. So I avoided that one, booked Radisson instead. I’d say they just didn’t get around to changing their info, but I wasn’t taking chances.

Have t explored this, but maybe worth trying:

https://www.supervalugetawaybreaks.com/summer-escapes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

We're not going to staycation, just look out the window to see the reason why.
    I'm quite happy to roam the mountains in this weather in October or March.
    But not for a seaside holiday in July/August.
    Plus, we can get much better value abroad than in Ireland over the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

josip wrote: »
    We're not going to staycation, just look out the window to see the reason why.
    I'm quite happy to roam the mountains in this weather in October or March.
    But not for a seaside holiday in July/August.
    Plus, we can get much better value abroad than in Ireland over the summer months.

Staying in Ireland this year. Should be in France on our campsite right now, but no children's club, limited pool availability and limited entertainment availability.
    We also usually have a caravan here, so will spend alot of the summer there, rain or sun kids dont care once they are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

We went away for the weekend. Staying in a holiday home owned by a friend. Going home Wednesday.
    Irish weather as expected. Miserable short break experience tbh.
    Now if we had gone last weekend id have been delighted with the weather, well a few of the days anyway.
    But thats the chances you take holidaying in Ireland. And thats why we never usually to holiday in Ireland anymore.
    We are actually supposed to be in Italy this week. And I checked the weather there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

dory wrote: »
    Never heard of them until now. They seem legit. They're called cottages.com on Facebook (@cottagescom) and they are getting a lot of complaints in the comments. I'd say it's the kind of gang that'll be fine if your booking goes ahead, but I wouldn't want to have to chase them for a refund if something goes wrong. I'd personally go with one of the bigger companies, unless their price was way cheaper.

People need to be very weary of this crowd now , one comment on their Facebook page a person paid £1200 and was told that the place was double booked after they had paid.

They only give you contact details after you've paid in full.

Just found this aswell ,https://ie.trustpilot.com/reviews/5ef4e87a7dd75306b8cd9721?fbclid=IwAR26e5XsPIqYW80TlDr548w8gYJsqPtSSVgf4RCVzpEvN4ETiC55H-371H4

The problem is they are listing as .ie and linking with Irish sites , people don't seem to have any comeback .

I'm shocked that people are being treated like this now .

Lovely afternoon in Donegal

Got out on the bikes with young lad, bit of sun burn actually
    Well, wind burn.
    Same thing

This morning was horrible and windy.
    We still went down to the beach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

We should have gone to Donegal beggars bush :)
    Yet another horrible morning in Kerry.
    Thats 5 days now. Going home tomorrow.
    The rain is supposed to stop tomorrow. Going home tomorrow anyway.
    If id paid for the use of this house I would be really sickened.
    Was talking to the couple next door. They paid €1350 for a week.
    They might get 1, possibly 2 days without rain, but its not warm either.
    5 days with cold, wind and rain and nothing to do.
    If only you didnt have to book your holidays where I work. Then you could wait for a nice weather forecast and go. Thats the only way to do it in Ireland.

Advertisement