Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    What’s the scenario if your flight is going ahead but you are not allowed travel to airport as it’s deemed not essential?

Thought only repatriation or medical emergency flights allowed?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thought only repatriation or medical emergency flights allowed?

Nope, Ryanair have flights still available to buy via their app, seemingly without any restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Nope, Ryanair have flights still available to buy via their app, seemingly without any restriction.

Whose going where though, that's nuts.

Yeah I would gave thought by now they could drop to one flight a week between key places like London and Dublin.

Seems they still have a number of flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So I’m due to pay my final €700 off the family holiday on Tuesday.
    We are due to go on June 13th to Majorca.
    We have paid €1900+€600 so €2500 so far.
    I’ve been informed if we don’t pay the €700 final payment it will be the same as us cancelling so we will lose our deposit of €600.
    The only way we will get all our money back is if the DFA advise banning travel to Spain.
    Does anyone know what the DFA advice is?
    Will I be entitled to a refund, not a voucher I don’t want a voucher, of the €1900 if I cancel on Tuesday (I understand I’d lose my 600 deposit.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

tom1ie wrote: »

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/spain/

DFA advice for Spain is currently "avoid non-essential travel" as opposed to "do not travel".

woodchuck wrote: »
    https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/spain/

DFA advice for Spain is currently "avoid non-essential travel" as opposed to "do not travel".

So I take it that will not entitle me to an automatic refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

So I take it that will not entitle me to an automatic refund?

You're 6 weeks from your travel date. The next few weeks will see lots of changes. It's too early to tell.

Caranica wrote: »
    You're 6 weeks from your travel date. The next few weeks will see lots of changes. It's too early to tell.

Spain will not be fully open. There’s no way we are going on holiday to a country still in partial lockdown.

• Advertisement

Spain will not be fully open. There’s no way we are going on holiday to a country still in partial lockdown.

My reply was in relation to DFA advice and refunds

My reply was in relation to DFA advice and refunds

but with regards to having to pay the remaining €700 on tuesday, would you pay it?
    If we dont we lose the €600 deposit automatically, but we should (they'll probably try give vouchers) get the €1900 back.
    If we pay the €700 on tuesday and the DFA ban travel, then we should (again prob try vouchers) get the whole lot back.
    We dont want vouchers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Since the voucher threads were closed, are we meant to use this one instead?
    Aer Lingus, transatlantic. Flights for Apr 4th and I went for the voucher on Apr 2nd. They mailed back to acknowledge. Anyone else having near 5 week delays before getting vouchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Since the voucher threads were closed, are we meant to use this one instead?
    Aer Lingus, transatlantic. Flights for Apr 4th and I went for the voucher on Apr 2nd. They mailed back to acknowledge. Anyone else having near 5 week delays before getting vouchers?

Same here - transatlantic flight, acknowledgement email, nothing since.

If you look on their twitter account, it doesn't look encouraging as to when the vouchers will arrive...

I don't see travel being banned so I wouldn't hold out for that. I'd be going over the booking terms and conditions with a fine tooth comb.

If you're determined not to go and not willing to/can't afford to gamble and see if the holiday will be cancelled closer to the time (next to no planes flying or accommodation open) then I wouldn't pay the last of the cost.

I can't see the holiday happening, personally I'd be tempted to pay it and gamble, and fight for cash refund but only if tour operator is bonded.

Some travel insurance policies will pay out for both 'do not travel' and 'no essential travel' status from the DFA.

Under current legislation even of they won't cover you, if the place where yiu are going isn't what you 'bought into' in terms of everything being shut or severely closed down then there is this:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/baaa9d-guidance-on-the-right-of-travellers-to-terminate-package-travel-cont/

We owe a balance on a trip to Spain at the end of June, Budget Travel have not requested the balance despite it being due, they've said as soon as the flights are cancelled it will trigger a refund (the hotel is closed). As it's a package holiday you have more protection.

I don't see travel being banned so I wouldn't hold out for that. I'd be going over the booking terms and conditions with a fine tooth comb.

If you're determined not to go and not willing to/can't afford to gamble and see if the holiday will be cancelled closer to the time (next to no planes flying or accommodation open) then I wouldn't pay the last of the cost.

I can't see the holiday happening, personally I'd be tempted to pay it and gamble, and fight for cash refund but only if tour operator is bonded.

yeah the holiday is booked with tui, via justsplit so they are bonded.
    However i dont know how much faith i would put in getting a payment out of the government (or whoever guarantees them with the bond), if its anything like homebond for example.
    just seems crazy that i have to hand over 700 euro next week to go to a country that will still be in a partial lockdown at the time we are due to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I paid a deposit to Supervalu getaway breaks in February for accommodation at Easter. The hotel was closed per government restrictions. I have requested a refund of deposit and processing fees which they have come back with the below response.

Unfortunately we can't refund deposits as per our cancellation policy but we can offer free transfers of date and also put your deposit on hold until you are ready to travel again? We're in line with all other tourism provider's

Here is their cancellation policy per the booking email

Cancellations can be made with the hotel up to 48 hours in advance of arrival by using the link below in your email booking confirmation. Changes to bookings can only be made by calling the Call Centre on 0818 22 00 88, Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. For cancellations within this time, or in the case of a no show, the first nights stay will be charged by the hotel. All deposits and booking fees are non-refundable.

I didn't cancel the break but am I entitled to a refund instead of these guys holding my funds indefinitely?

yeah the holiday is booked with tui, via justsplit so they are bonded.
    However i dont know how much faith i would put in getting a payment out of the government (or whoever guarantees them with the bond), if its anything like homebond for example.
    just seems crazy that i have to hand over 700 euro next week to go to a country that will still be in a partial lockdown at the time we are due to go.

Are they actually asking for the deposit to be paid, we weren't and when we asked..said they would not be demanding the balance.

Are they actually asking for the deposit to be paid, we weren't and when we asked..said they would not be demanding the balance.

Well they originally looked for the balance in april, I told them where to go and then tui changed the balance due date to the 5th may. So I’ll find out on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Flight cancellations: Cash refund guide.

This cash refund guide applies to Ryanair and Aer Lingus cancelled flights
    originating in Ireland booked directly or indirectly through travel agents.

You will get your money back eventually, (Probably when Michael O'Leary and Willie Walsh decide the crisis is over!)
    Irish law allows 6 years for debt recovery.
    You will only loose your money in the extremely unlikely event of Aer Lingus or Ryanair going bankrupt.

There is still a risk that the Irish Government will pass a Greek style law that would allow businesses to pay consumers in mandatory vouchers instead of cash.
    This would stop both the Small Claims Court and CAR and would delay you getting your cash for 12 to 18 months.

If you’re not in a hurry the best advise is to do nothing.
    You could apply for the refund and put a note in diary to follow up in six months time.

Ignore vouchers offers, they simply limit your options unless they offer some bonus, Aer Lingus offered 10% extra and 5 year expiry.
    Several other airlines are offering 15% and 20%. Carefully review Terms and Conditions before accepting.
    A voucher is not the same as cash.

Guide:

Request refund for all processes.

You need to make a reasonable effort to inform the airline that you want a cash refund. This can be done online or by post.
    There is no requirement to spend your time jumping through the hoops the airlines erect to make it difficult to get your money.

You do not have to:
    1. Spend hours waiting for a response from the airline. Give it 15 minutes.
    2. Phone any call centre.
    3. Wait on chatbot.
    4. Accept or reject any voucher.

Despite what emails from airline might insinuate.
    You only need to make one refund request once.

Online refund airline request forms:
    https://refundclaims.ryanair.com/
    https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/refund-request-form/

You should get an automatic email reply.

If you find you are having a problem lodging the request you can always use the old fashioned An Post.

Mail cash refund request, your details, flight details the booking reference
    and that the request is applicable to all passengers and flights on the booking.

To:
    Refunds, Customer Service Department, Ryanair DAC, Airside Business Park, Swords Co. Dublin.
    Guest Relations Department, Aer Lingus Head Office, Dublin Airport, Co Dublin K67 PW99

You do not have to send this letter by registered post.

You can make your claim 10 days after you have requested your refund.

Best Option:
    1. www.flightrights.ie CAR (Commission for Aviation Regulation).

CAR operate a complaint process for refunds that is easy to use, works well and is totally FREE.

https://www.flightrights.ie/home/com...edure.452.html

Ignore 4-6 week wait, lodge complaint today.

Chances of success: Very good.

2. Small claims court. €25 non refundable fee. Airline response in 15 days.
    Five step guide here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058071799

Don't be put off by the court in the title, it is all online, you don't have to appear or hire a solicitor.

Airline has to respond within in 15 calendar days.

Chances of success: Very good.

3. Chargeback This is a voluntary process operated by the banks.
    It is not a legal process.

Each bank is responsible for their own process so different banks handle chargeback in their own way.
    The major credit card companies have guidelines but it seems that each bank can largely do whatever they like.

Most banks don't want the hassle and will produce lame excuses that the airline is offering a voucher.
    You could complain to the Central Bank but it's history on consumer protection is lamentable.

N26 simply cancel the charge and put the money in your account. The airline can dispute the claim within 30 days.
    Good reports for Bank of Ireland.

AIB (the government owned bank) simple refuse all requests.
    Other banks request the money from the airline and allow them various periods usually 30 days to come back.

Chances of success: Limited

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058069347

4. Travel insurance.
    Insurance companies are just like the airlines they love taking your money.
    They are a lot more reluctant to paying money out.

Varies by policy and company.
    Insurance companies expect you to try all other avenues before they will even consider paying out.

Chances of success: Extremely limited.

Refund Background:

The airlines are delaying cash refunds for flight cancellations in clear breach of the law,
    EU261 Article 8 which states:

Right to reimbursement -
    "Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall
    be offered ...... (a) — reimbursement within seven days"

The airlines have employed a range of tactics to hinder the consumer requesting or getting a refund.

This is not a Covid problem, employee distancing issue or lack of computer software resources.

The airlines have your money and they want to keep it and sell you restrictive vouchers.
    Not only do they want to hold on to your cash but they would to add restrictions to allow them to pocket it and provide you with no service.
    Better described as robbery!

At a minimum the airlines should provide some sort of bonus without restrictions for keeping your money.

Despite what Michael O’Leary claims the refund process can be automated.
    Sad that the regulator bought this waffle without consulting any computer expert.

The airlines could setup a wallet system with an option to request a refund from the wallet.
    Money in the wallet could be treated like cash.

Shane Ross/Heather Humphreys are threatening to introduce legislation that will force passengers to accept mandatory vouchers instead of cash refunds.
    They have supported 11 other countries in a proposal to the EU. This will lock up your money for 12 to 18 months.

All of these tactics are designed to delay you getting your money.

Ryanair are upfront in breaking the law and have no plan in complying with the law until Michael O'Leary deems "the crisis has passed".
    He claims he cannot automate cash refunds. TicketMaster,
    not exactly a leading light in consumer satisfaction, do just that when a concert is cancelled. He could if he wanted to.

The Commission for (No) Aviation Regulation (CnAR) has supported this
    deliberate breach of the law in its statement referencing employee safety.

Aer Lingus are fast with 7 day promises but when questioned talk about 2 to 3 months delay.

It’s not capability, it’s motivation that delays the airlines giving you back your money.
    CnAR needs to provide the Motivation.
    A €100 fine, per refund, per day and the airlines would have every refund processed in 72 hours.

Why can't CnAR support a system that allows 7 day cash refunds for the people who want cash and offer a great bonus offer for everybody else.

@Paddy19 - we're all aware of the sticky - no need to repost.

Well they originally looked for the balance in april, I told them where to go and then tui changed the balance due date to the 5th may. So I’ll find out on Tuesday.

I doubt they will be asking you for it come Tursday, if budget travel are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

So I’m due to pay my final €700 off the family holiday on Tuesday.
    We are due to go on June 13th to Majorca.
    We have paid €1900+€600 so €2500 so far.
    I’ve been informed if we don’t pay the €700 final payment it will be the same as us cancelling so we will lose our deposit of €600.
    The only way we will get all our money back is if the DFA advise banning travel to Spain.
    Will I be entitled to a refund, not a voucher I don’t want a voucher, of the €1900 if I cancel on Tuesday (I understand I’d lose my 600 deposit.)

Is this not a case no matter what other countries are doing we have a 20km limit until July 20th based on the Government plan outlined on Friday.

I would suggest then that if they do not want people to travel more than 20km then that is by car, boat or plane. International travel is implicit in a 20km limit ?

It's the argument I'll be making this week with the travel companies I have booked with.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭foozzybear61

Hi
    I probably can guess the answer but here goes
    I booked a flight to Liverpool for Sunday 10 May from Dublin returning the next day with Ryanair 135e.. this was done in January
    I seldom take out insurance but this time I did and paid 12e on their website,
    Knew for a while this wasn't going ahead but got my official email from Ryamair last week offering ,e a reschedule or a refund which they say will take about 28 days.
    Question is this coming direct from Ryanair because tge flight wont go ?, could I also get paid by the insurance company , if its Ryanair what happens to the 12e I paid or is it all the one outfit.
    Ive sent off my email requesting a refund ..and contacted the insurance company requesting a refund..(without a reply )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Anyone know what's happening with school trips booked? My son was supposed to go to Barcelona during Easter and was paid through schooltours.ie. We paid nearly 700euro and that was for everything. The only correspondence we got from the school was saying they were dealing with it and trying to get a partial refund back and to not contact the company. Just wondering where do you stand and has anyone else had any success about getting money back? Wouldn't mind even if it was rescheduled for next year. But it was a struggle to get the money together so the thoughts of loosing it is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭acequion

Well actually I find the repost very helpful as I do all Paddy19 posts on the refund issue, while I try to work out what to do next.

We need more people in the world like Paddy19.

Thanks Paddy19 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭keng66

Hi,
    I took out travel ins. with Company A in March 19, booked flights in January 2020 for travel later on this month. In March this year I took out travel ins with Company B.
    KLM are refusing to refund flight money, VISA have said they will not do a chargeback. Before I get on to them, has anyone been in this situation and who can I claim off. I sure both companies will say it's not their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Anyone know what's happening with school trips booked? My son was supposed to go to Barcelona during Easter and was paid through schooltours.ie. We paid nearly 700euro and that was for everything. The only correspondence we got from the school was saying they were dealing with it and trying to get a partial refund back and to not contact the company. Just wondering where do you stand and has anyone else had any success about getting money back? Wouldn't mind even if it was rescheduled for next year. But it was a struggle to get the money together so the thoughts of loosing it is annoying.

Obviously difficult situation for everyone, school, schooltours.ie and providers.

The good news is that Schooltours.ie are licenced by the Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR) and are an Irish owned comapny. They seem to be in good financial shape. The parent company World Travel Centre Holding Limited seems to have low external debt. Their accounts are up to date (31 Oct 2019) see attached.

Some comfort from our old friend EU261 which allows recovery for the air fare direct from the airline if things get really bad.

I have no idea about tour company bonding position. Might be worth emailing CAR at info@aviationreg.ie since they are the licencing authority.

I think your best best is to sit tight and be comforted that even in the worst case you will be able to recover the airfare.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

He did it for my benefit, so I could update the sticky.

He's been very helpful to people on this matter.

Advertisement