Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How expensive is it to convert van into campervan?

• 09-04-2020 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi, I currently have too much time on my hands and was randomly browsing vans for sale the other day and discovered interesting rule that any van, even the cheapest under 5k value, suddenly gains at least 10k in price if it's converted to camper van. With newer cars, the price gain is even higher. I'm wondering, what makes the difference? Is it equipment on the back, the work needed to convert or something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

The big costs come down to the mechanical quality, the equipment fitted in the back, the labour, and then the general appearance of the finished van. They are very labour intensive to do as a one person job and ultimately many go unfinished sitting in a breakers yard. The quality of the work in the back as well can be hard to get right, and buying bespoke parts to fit in are a pain to source for good money.

Definitely something to consider if you want to flip a few vans, but you show be ready to write off whatever you spend on the van itself as a loss because I know a few people who bought and had great intentions, but ultimately it was too much for them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't forget that to be a motorcaravan on the tax book you will have to pay VRT to the revenue first, I would suggest that this is a reason a lot end up scrapped as well. the cost is 13.3% of what Revenue determine the open market selling price to be.
    If you just convert a van and don't make it into a motorcaravan then you will run into difficulties insuring it, private insurance on a commercial vehicle is difficult.

Advertisement