Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

biko wrote: »
    Did you notice this is a migrants thread? Read the title...

Feel free to start threads on other things you think is important instead of trying to dilute this one

Backseat much?

I was responding to your proposal in this thread.

If you want an echo chamber lad, open up Word and bash away, it's a public forum, you have a problem with my posts report them by all means.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tony Tucker

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-deployment-to-middle-east-halted-by-pay-disagreement-1.3964231?mode=amp

The deployment of a group of gardaí to the Middle East last week as part of the Government’s refugee protection programme was cancelled following a disagreement over pay.

It is understood that eight officers and two sergeants were due to fly to Jordan on Friday for 13 days to interview up to 300 refugees and asylum seekers before sanctioning their relocation to Ireland.

The plans were cancelled after gardaí were told they would not be paid overtime for working their days off, the Garda Representative Association(GRA) said. It is understood flights and accommodation had been booked for the group that was due to travel.

In a statement, An Garda Síochána said it remains “fully committed” to its obligations under the Irish Refugee Protection Programme.

“The deployment did not go ahead, on this occasion, as agreement on terms of conditions of travel was not reached,” it said. “An Garda Síochána continues to work with our partners to fulfil our obligations.”

Philip McAnenly, deputy secretary general of the GRA, told RTÉ those who volunteered for the mission were informed that they would “not be paid the accepted and agreed rates of pay” at the “11th hour”.

“As a result they withdrew from the mission, but not before in the first instance trying to ensure that the agreement they had would be honoured and observed, not only in the letter but in the spirit. But unfortunately they didn’t receive that commitment and as a result they didn’t travel last week,” he added.

Waste of money anyway. All these refugees are being coached on what and what not to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The role of left wing parties in Ireland in relation to this is most confusing. They appear to pursue conflicting aims.
    On one hand, they cheer trade unions. Trade unions/guilds operate as a cartel controlling the floor price in the market place of a particular service or set of skills.
    On the the other hand, these parties (best exemplified by many statements made by arguably the most senior left-wing intellectual in Ireland, the current Labour Uachtarán) cheer the influx of foreign labour into our market, often demanding that the path be smoothed by money collected from the wage packets every week of the native Irish through the various taxes on their income.

This madness is analogous to an Irish motor industry trying to collude on one hand to maintain artificially high prices in their forecourts whilst at the same time clapping deliveries of more vehicles off container ships at our ports for casual sales on the roadside.

You can't pursue both aims and be taken seriously.

I would contend that left wing politics has turned its back on the Irish worker in recent decades and media commentary is all but absent. This phenomenon of betrayal was also visible in other English-speaking lands in the last ten years and manifested itself in sharp and surprising fashion in the ballot boxes of both the U.S. and U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Too many brainwashed in Uni's & the MSM
    Nah think I'll leave you guessing

Up your standard of posting please

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Yahir Stale Piranha

From the article: Macron said the new initiative would be "quick" and "automatic".
    Would vetting or volume also be 'quick and automatic'?

Meanwhile, Italy's leader said it:
    "does not take orders and is not a partner: if Macron wants to discuss migrants, come to Rome".
    Poland, and the V4 would likely follow this approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭corks finest

biko wrote:
    Did all of Ireland agree to this? Or a couple of politicians swayed by foreign politics and the promise of glory once they have ruined their country?

Politicians only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

creeper1 wrote: »
    This idea should not be entertained until the housing crisis and homelessness have been fixed.

Wasn’t that what a minister recently said?

What caused the backing down? Threats about the backstop?
    I would say it is more about our tax policies relating to multinationals.

I don't see why Islamic and African migration needs to be addressed by the west when none of their neighbours are willing to take them in.

Can't see how the neighbors could be doing much more TBH.

gn38907c-en-1552497926718.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Boggles wrote: »
    Can't see how the neighbors could be doing much more TBH.

Doesn't seem to show how many Saudi Arabia took in;)

Syria is three times the size of Ireland so plenty of safe areas for them to return to. Government officials have been calling for their people to go home to help rebuild the country.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/interactive/2015/05/syria-country-divided-150529144229467.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Gatling wrote: »
    Does anyone think the damage is done and totally irreversible when it comes to the mass economic migrant situation that was allowed to happen , with nobody at the top thinking this could cause permanent and lasting damage to European countries

No, if the will is there then anything can be achieved.
    Malaysia repatriated 840,000 immigrants in the last 5 years, so it can be done.https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2019/07/19/fresh-bid-to-send-illegal-workers-back-for-good/#ZIB1aC4W0d4OWpch.99

topper75 wrote: »
    The role of left wing parties in Ireland in relation to this is most confusing. They appear to pursue conflicting aims.
    On one hand, they cheer trade unions. Trade unions/guilds operate as a cartel controlling the floor price in the market place of a particular service or set of skills.
    On the the other hand, these parties (best exemplified by many statements made by arguably the most senior left-wing intellectual in Ireland, the current Labour Uachtarán) cheer the influx of foreign labour into our market, often demanding that the path be smoothed by money collected from the wage packets every week of the native Irish through the various taxes on their income.

This madness is analogous to an Irish motor industry trying to collude on one hand to maintain artificially high prices in their forecourts whilst at the same time clapping deliveries of more vehicles off container ships at our ports for casual sales on the roadside.

You can't pursue both aims and be taken seriously.

I would contend that left wing politics has turned its back on the Irish worker in recent decades and media commentary is all but absent. This phenomenon of betrayal was also visible in other English-speaking lands in the last ten years and manifested itself in sharp and surprising fashion in the ballot boxes of both the U.S. and U.K.

100% correct, the left wing parties in Ireland are complete frauds. They have traded their economic ideals for identity issues. Hand them an LGBT flag and they will gladly advocate for the destruction of wages, workers rights, the ability of workers to own a home etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

In what sense?

The UK will be, but how will Ireland?

FF will probably swap places with FG and the rest will be divided among the other parties and the Indos.

I'd hardly call that very interesting.

The only aspect of it that may be interesting is if we get the grand coalition, which we won't.

FF becoming a major party again wouldn't be interesting? The party associated with the worst economic crash in several generations, with many politicians still running for them.

I think FG will take a battering which would be entirely at odds with the supposed "prosperity" we have had in Ireland the past 6 years. The Greens will come back from obscurity for no other reason than they have the word "Green" in their name. Independents and even Sinn Fein will do well as, for a lot of people, the heads in SF are not, for them, associated with any Troubles tomfoolery. Independents will also do well.

All of this will combine to leave a fractured political environment with no dominant party; and that's why it will be interesting.

As for the UK; it looks like the two party dominance will be dead and buried. Tories have sold out their Brexit-voting electorate by not delivering Brexit while Labour have pathetically failed to take advantage of the Tory in-fighting. Remember, there were 50% of voters almost who voted not to leave the EU who have been ignored in the entire Brexit negotiations the past few years; these people have not gone anywhere and will likely continue to vote to stay in the EU at any opportunity, whoever is offering this.

No, if the will is there then anything can be achieved.
    Malaysia repatriated 840,000 immigrants in the last 5 years, so it can be done.https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2019/07/19/fresh-bid-to-send-illegal-workers-back-for-good/#ZIB1aC4W0d4OWpch.99

Yes it certainly can
    Stop benefits, see how many stay then

They don't recognize Refugees plus they are complete bastards.

The Donald is a big fan.

AP_17159386154465-1040-1024x683.jpg

But, To say Syrians neighbors don't take in refugees is complete and utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Enough of this P.C. Shi*e - Ireland isn't able to afford any more Africans etc,most don't contribute at all - anything to thi s country - enough - end of

What about the huge increase in Irish Mensa membership.

They don't recognize Refugees plus they are complete bastards.

The Donald is a big fan.

AP_17159386154465-1040-1024x683.jpg

But, To say Syrians neighbors don't take in refugees is complete and utter nonsense.

The Irish Govt are even bigger fans, after all they're taking e280 million off them to invest in Waterford.
    Funnily enough I don't remember any of our progressives complaining about it at the time.
    You know..complaining that we're taking money from a regime that regularly executes Women and Homosexuals...strange that

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭liatroimabu

I wonder will these migrants be settled in communities in areas like Foxrock, Stepaside and other well off areas around the country, or will it be another case of trying to shoehorn them into areas that don't have the facilities to deal with any more people regardless of where they're from.

More than likely the latter so the politicians and such in the former areas/constituencies can give themselves a good clap on the back about being such fantastic humanitarians without having to deal with any of the possible fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The Saudis aren’t signatories to UN refugee protocols - but there’s at least 500,000 Syrian ‘guests’ in Saudi.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,334 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Surely this will bring down the government. Everybody I've talked to today is up in arms over this.

• Advertisement

I wonder will these migrants be settled in communities in areas like Foxrock, Stepaside and other well off areas around the country, or will it be another case of trying to shoehorn them into areas that don't have the facilities to deal with any more people regardless of where they're from.

More than likely the latter so the politicians and such in the former areas/constituencies can give themselves a good clap on the back about being such fantastic humanitarians without having to deal with any of the possible fallout.

I hadn’t realized that the entire political apparatus was based in Foxrock and Stepaside, and that there were no votes in the rest of the country. Is Shane Ross somehow a discreet autocrat?

alastair wrote: »
    I hadn’t realized that the entire political apparatus was based in Foxrock and Stepaside, and that there were no votes in the rest of the country. Is Shane Ross somehow a discreet autocrat?

You'll also notice I said other well off areas around the country, they just happened to be two well known affluent areas , one of which is the home of a government minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Lord Winston Churchtown as some wit calls him.

The Irish Govt are even bigger fans, after all they're taking e280 million off them to invest in Waterford.

Pittance.

The Donald just agreed to sell them 8 billion dollars worth of weapons.

Tip of the iceberg.

You'll also notice I said other well off areas around the country, they just happened to be two well known affluent areas , one of which is the home of a government minister.

Who has nothing to do with this portfolio. It’s frankly idiotic to suggest that there’s a greater electoral liability in affluent areas. Votes are votes.

FF becoming a major party again wouldn't be interesting?

No. They are only 5 seats off FG as is.

They always bounce back. Its' pretty boring in fact.

Who has nothing to do with this portfolio. It’s frankly idiotic to suggest that there’s a greater electoral liability in affluent areas. Votes are votes.

Thats not what I suggested for a second, just wondering why no migrant center was ever proposed for these areas (or wondering if one will be proposed following this news) but one was intended for Rooskey which doesn't even have decent services for the people currently there, let alone adding people to the area.

Pittance.

The Donald just agreed to sell them 8 billion dollars worth of weapons.

Tip of the iceberg.

Thats called trade, what are we trading?

Thats not what I suggested for a second, just wondering why no migrant center was ever proposed for these areas (or wondering if one will be proposed following this news) but one was intended for Rooskey which doesn't even have decent services for the people currently there, let alone adding people to the area.

Stick one near Bonos gaff & you'll see him object like anyone else. Its all well & good virtue signalling until its on your doorstep & having to deal with the fallout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

eagle eye wrote: »
    Surely this will bring down the government. Everybody I've talked to today is up in arms over this.

This is Ireland. We'll all go to the pub tonight or call Joe Duffy, have a good rant, forget all about it and next week we'll be whinging about how our MEP hasn't "fixhed da road" yet.

We're sheeple and have been taking it asswards from priests and politicians for hundreds of years. That doesn't change overnight.

Advertisement