Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

On a scale of one 1 to 10 how happy are you with life on average?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Elessar wrote: »
    Earlier this year I broke up with the love of my life.

We remained friends and recently met up a few times.

I attempted to get back with her but found out she is now dating someone else.

I’ve never known such pain.

1/10

Sorry to hear mate, been there. It does get better beyond your imagination.

I’m genuinely surprised there is so many happy people. For me I’d say it’s probably 6. I know I have a lot to be grateful for. For people looking into my life they would think I’ve got it made. They have gone as far as to say that. I’ve got my degree, going to do something else or a postgrad, financially secure and a great head on my shoulders. Doesn’t feel that way to me, there are some things in my life that are missing and I feel like I’m getting nowhere and it leaves me very unfulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

DColeman wrote: »
    I surprised there are so many happy people.

Is it really the case that some people never ever experience depression, or long term sadness and constantly are happy throughout the entire life? Boards has a lot of perfect permanently happy people.

I think what helps with some people is they are easily pleased.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Elemonator wrote: »
    I’m genuinely surprised there is so many happy people.

The less happy are probably just voting but not posting. Nearly 1/3rd (31.57%) are 5 or less per the poll. Nearly half (43.85%) are 6 or less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

One of the things in life that's great is that you don't miss what you never had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

9/10 these last few yrs. Low point of my life would of been 2/10.

[url] https://youtu.be/UiI_-GLe7ZQ[/url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Earlier today I would have said 4 but overall really it’s a 6. Family making it a bit hard lately. I have a goal right now so once I achieve that I should be up to a 7 or maybe even an 8 for a brief period in time. I will then work at brining myself up to an 8 again.
    I need to be more healthy and live a more active lifestyle. I’ve a few goals set out and I’m kind of young so onwards and upwards. I think people need to have goals all the time. Achieving these goals overtime brings up the happiness meter in my opinion anyway. I understand if it’s hard for people to get the drive as well. I struggle with that.
    Here’s an ad which recently got me motivated.

https://youtu.be/lGQk4-HSNgY

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

6 but sadness can be beautiful and happiness can be vulgar.

Why not 10?
    A few conflicts am always dealing with, like everyone, though which ones varies from person to person.

Why not 0?
    Time often just disappears which is usually a sign you're engaged with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

FFred wrote: »
    I’m a bit like a Sine Wave. My happiness varies a lot depending on my frame of mind on a particular day

Then how about hours of a particular day I thought it was a scale of 1 o’clock to 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

DColeman wrote: »
    I surprised there are so many happy people.

Is it really the case that some people never ever experience depression, or long term sadness and constantly are happy throughout the entire life? Boards has a lot of perfect permanently happy people.

Some people cope better with things that life throws at them. Others can't help but dwell on the negatives in their lives.

I'm a solid 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

A very healthy 8.

Very content with my lot. A happy family life and interesting well paid job. Health is good for all of us. Finances are much better now with some savings. I was up to my neck in debt 5 years ago.

A great balance in everything...I don't take it for granted. Everything can change in an instant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

between meh and 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Wow there's astonishing number of happy people on here. :eek:

Not sure I could ever be above a 6/7 constantly, life is all about surviving, each day is difficult and you your best to get through it.

I don't think humans are programmed to be happy, we're meant to work, pay taxes, procreate and die. No different to other animals really.

I'm always in survival mode as oppose to trying to be happy. As someone who has suffered from long depression just avoiding suicidal thoughts is a good day sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Changed it to a 7. I don't think I'd be a 10. 7 is great, 8/9 would be off the charts happy/contentment for me. Not sure what, if anything would put me there. And I don't think that level is sustainable for long anyway. Life happens.

Very happy with my solid 7 though.

except the scale is 1-10 so 8/9 are both definitely on the chart :D

is it worth noting that people posting that theyre happy are talking about themselves

people posting that theyre not happy are posting about how the people that think they are happy are wrong

awful interesting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

1 for me.
    But I don't pine for happiness.
    I'm content with being unhappy, however dumb that sentence sounds! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I put 7. I have never been happier. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

People often talk about 3 things as constituents to happiness but I would say body>mind>soul. We need the strength for the fortitude to truly be at peace with ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I'm just waiting on Mr Von Bismarck's response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Appears so.

I have negative view of humanity generally, I don't like humans and have a cynical view of the world sometimes, but I wouldn't say I'm perpetually sad, just score anywhere in the 5-7 region really, and I'd be happy with that. I can't ever imagine being 8+ regularly, not sure I'd want to be, it would feel weird and a bit artificial and fake to have a life like that. But each to their own I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

5 today. Yesterday I’d have said 8. Tomorrow I may say 9. :)

Life is generally good day to day, but absolutely no clue about my future (a health issue), and I move around a lot, so nothing is stable. It’s fine when I don’t think about it.

Actually, that post is depressing. I’m going down to a 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I’m even sadder now that I see not everybody is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

3. However I read it
    wrong and put 7! I hate my job. My daughter has a serious life long illness and is awaiting major surgery to improve her health. I have a rare form of a rare disease which I have had
    three life threatening complications from including one caused by medicine to try and prevent another complication! In the last three years I've had two major and one minor surgeries. One of these operations was to try and cure the rare disease but it was only partially successful and I will need another major operation which will be more complicated due to scar tissue and the other health problems caused by the disease. I have daily pain, fatigue and chronic insomnia. And to top it all off I also have a Dick of an ex husband who has a full time job suing people! Even though we have been divorced for a couple of years he is still causing hassle. I had to change my phone number and spam him on email. And that's the tip of the iceberg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I'm happy but it seems most are people I see are now either miserable or violent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Solid 9.
    Good heath, good money, good job, good friends, no commute.

Planning on buying a house soon. I live out in the country so prices aren't insane.

A 10 would invole getting into a relationship, but I'm quite content at the moment and it's more for lack of interest on my part that I'm not in one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Or maybe some people fought tooth and nail to get to where they are now, maybe in work, in life, in general and they're happy on average with what they've achieved and how it's worked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Or maybe some people fought tooth and nail to get to where they are now, maybe in work, in life, in general and they're happy on average with what they've achieved and how it's worked out

There's nothing wrong with being easily pleased and being content with your lot.

I'd take that over constant worry and feeling of inadequacy and inferiority that some successful people have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

9 here.

The only thing to complete me now would be grandchildren

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

It depends on the day but on average about 5 or 6

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

4 teenage kids all reasonbly happy, job nearly done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Elessar wrote: »
    Earlier this year I broke up with the love of my life.

We remained friends and recently met up a few times.

I attempted to get back with her but found out she is now dating someone else.

I’ve never known such pain.

1/10

That's sh*t man, but you probably know what you should have done.. Yes, its tough but you should have cut her out of your life and moved on with yours instead of setting yourself up for hurt.

Cutting her out doesn't mean you don't love her any more, or any less. It means you love you and you want to move on, as hard as it is but without her in your life.

Right now you're just picking at the scab of a healing wound.. Leave it alone and let yourself heal.

Hope you're good, be strong & stoic.

Advertisement