Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tourists or Refugees

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Syria. Those migrants for Wicklow are coming from Nigeria, DRC, and some other African state.

The op was right, 'economic' tourists.

Albanians and Brazilians mostly actually

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

With respect to the town and its tourism interests, this is just a sideshow.

It is the latest in a series of such, each of them attempting to distract from the disaster that is the system as a whole.

When you zoom out and look at it - you see people in there for 10 years with deportation orders issued against them and they are still floating around in the system.

Cases need to be heard faster to:

a - filter out chancers living off our backs
    b - provide timely resolutions to those actually deserving asylum

The appeals element of the process appears to particularly unwieldy and unfit for purpose.
    When this is fixed, there is no need for any Wicklow hotel to be requisitioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The Grand Hotel in Wicklow was the center of a thriving music scene, only Wedding destination in the town too.

However, the new management started raising prices by hundreds of percent until no-one could afford to rent the space.

Again, I ask, what do the locals think about this?

...they worry that the sheep brothel will be re-purposed next?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

It's totally cool, boys and girls.

Irish people don't want to live outside Dublin, so we'll fill her up with money sponges from the arse ends of nowhere.

Meanwhile, nobody can afford to live in Dublin.

Classic pincer manoeuvre, this is the sensible planning and future we want for ourselves and children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Of course funds have to do with housing. The govt has a finite budget. We already spend over E800m in foreign aid, then import or grant leave to remain to "refugees" and give them housing etc which also costs.

I really didn't think that would need to be explained but jaysus!!!!

Nicely put!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Albanians and Brazilians mostly actually

Im just going by the news report earlier today.

sheesh wrote: »
    I apologise for bringing some reality into this bitchfest bu we do have international commitments to take some of these refugees.

we took the kosovars in in the 90s and they seem to fitted in just fine

International "commitments", when they are nationally detrimental, can take a long walk off a short pier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sheesh wrote: »
    I apologise for bringing some reality into this bitchfest bu we do have international commitments to take some of these refugees.

we took the kosovars in in the 90s and they seem to fitted in just fine

I apologise for bringing some reality into this bitchfest bu we have a veto on bringing in refugees as per the Nice (I believe) revote. So we have absolutely zero obligations/commitment to take anyone.

How many will you be taking?

Oh don't worry about it, there isn't a single chance it crossed their mind. Not unlikely that the person isn't even Irish.

Don't blame them, blame us for allowing this joke to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

There's great money in direct provision. I don't mean to be cynical but I don't believe the refugees housed there get all that money can buy. As usual there are fat cats making a fortune out of other people's misery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Riskymove wrote: »
    well the flip side is that if there was only one hotel and the owners decided that a better option is to close as a hotel, then I imagine there is not a lot of tourists in the town to begin with

supply and demand...

At least refugees who mostly come from horrendous conditions don't insist on 4 bed house with front and back garden next door to their mammy.

If you had access to the housing list, you'd have quite a different attitude. A large number on the list expect/demand everything for free and will contribute nothing to the economy.

At least refugees want to integrate as quickly as possible and get working and contributing.

Simce law on work was changed in July, over 500 people in direct provision are working and contributing to the costs and obviously spending in local shops

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well was the last time the Irish went abroad seeking refugee status? Thousands emigrated for work though.

and thousands of Irish living off welfare in the UK, USA and Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

At least refugees who mostly come from horrendous conditions don't insist on 4 bed house with front and back garden next door to their mammy.

If you had access to the housing list, you'd have quite a different attitude. A large number on the list expect/demand everything for free and will contribute nothing to the economy.

At least refugees want to integrate as quickly as possible and get working and contributing.

Simce law on work was changed in July, over 500 people in direct provision are working and contributing to the costs and obviously spending in local shops

Proof please. Thank you

I apologise for bringing some reality into this bitchfest bu we have a veto on bringing in refugees as per the Nice (I believe) revote. So we have absolutely zero obligations/commitment to take anyone.

Ireland made a commitment about 3 or 4 years ago to take in 4000 refugees.
    Hardly a large number.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Would that be the crowd Peter Casey was highlighting during the election whilst the mainstream parties were defending them?

Graces7 wrote: »

UK is within EU so anyone from Europe can go there. USA doesn't exactly provide welfare. Not sure about Canada, but if they are claiming welfare they would be there legally and aren't there as "refugees", same with USA.

Pretzill wrote: »
    There's great money in direct provision. I don't mean to be cynical but I don't believe the refugees housed there get all that money can buy. As usual there are fat cats making a fortune out of other people's misery.

And not to mention the public (licence fee) money that is the glowing advert for direct provision and the demonisation of any who dare criticise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

topper75 wrote: »
    With respect to the town and its tourism interests, this is just a sideshow.

It is the latest in a series of such, each of them attempting to distract from the disaster that is the system as a whole.

When you zoom out and look at it - you see people in there for 10 years with deportation orders issued against them and they are still floating around in the system.

Cases need to be heard faster to:

a - filter out chancers living off our backs
    b - provide timely resolutions to those actually deserving asylum

The appeals element of the process appears to particularly unwieldy and unfit for purpose.
    When this is fixed, there is no need for any Wicklow hotel to be requisitioned.

Requisitioned?

I must have missed the part where the government seized the hotel for this purpose.
    Of course funds have to do with housing. The govt has a finite budget. We already spend over E800m in foreign aid, then import or grant leave to remain to "refugees" and give them housing etc which also costs.

Once again the housing crisis is caused by one thing. A lack of affordable housing in overpopulated areas. Affordable housing by definition is not something a private company can supply without the government footing the bill. The current government have not commissioned the building of these houses out of lack of money but out of a devotion to the private market that they believe will fix itself on the principle of supply and demand. We could have a surplus of billions and FG would still not invest in solving the housing crisis as it goes against one of their core principles.

Ya know, besides on the grounds of human decency.

Requisitioned?

I must have missed the part where the government seized the hotel for this purpose.

Once again the housing crisis is caused by one thing. A lack of affordable housing in overpopulated areas. Affordable housing by definition is not something a private company can supply without the government footing the bill. The current government have not commissioned the building of these houses out of lack of money but out of a devotion to the private market that they believe will fix itself on the principle of supply and demand. We could have a surplus of billions and FG would still not invest in solving the housing crisis as it goes against one of their core principles.

Ya know, besides on the grounds of human decency.

I'll play my teeny tiny violin for them.

And not to mention the public (licence fee) money that is the glowing advert for direct provision and the demonisation of any who dare criticise it.

Pretty sure everyone criticizes direct provision, whether they are pro or anti immigration.

Some of us believe its an inhumane way of dealing with refugees/immigration and others believe those in direct provision should just be deported.

• Advertisement

I'll play my teeny tiny violin for them.

Great, we're clear on what kind of person you are.

It really shouldn't be that much of a radical idea to help your fellow man. Especially from those harping on about "looking after our own first".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

bubblypop wrote: »
    Ireland made a commitment about 3 or 4 years ago to take in 4000 refugees.
    Hardly a large number.

And yet, in that 4 year period Ireland has taken in over 40 thousand refugees!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Graces7 wrote:

I have to call bs on that one tbh.

Pretty sure everyone criticizes direct provision, whether they are pro or anti immigration.

Some of us believe its an inhumane way of dealing with refugees/immigration and others believe those in direct provision should just be deported.

Inhumane ? Fed, watered, clothed, pocket money, all of our taxes ? Try getting that from somewhere else.

Inhumane ? Fed, watered, clothed, pocket money, all of our taxes ? Try getting that from somewhere else.

Don’t forget all of the free legal aid you could ever want for appeal after appeal after appeal.

Basic human rights you mean? Ya know, the kind prisoners get too. Shock horror :eek:

Don’t forget all of the free legal aid you could ever want for appeal after appeal after appeal.

True story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

ai kopsht është shumë i vogël për një trampoline

Basic human rights you mean? Ya know, the kind prisoners get too. Shock horror :eek:

No one asked them to come here, in fact they're breaking the law by being here.

We owe them zilch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Graces7 wrote: »
    Proof please. Thank you

Margaret Cash

Advertisement