Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FORTUNE TELLERS/ MEDIUM

Options
  • 25-02-2018 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Anyone been to any of these ? two of my daughters went last week to a women who must have been Jesus, she was 100% accurate on everything she said she knew things about me that only my close family would know + one of my daughters boyfriend's stuff that only he would know about, + loads of stuff about my mothers house which one of them live in now and different things about themselves, Amazing --- :eek::cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I knew you were going to say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,404 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

A fool and their money etc etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Do fortune tellers come in different sizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

no only medium.;)

A fool and their money etc etc etc...

how does a fool get money in the first place.?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

decky1 wrote: »
    no only medium.;)
    I see what you did there.

bNsTIB6.gif
    For the much older readers... :s

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

442870.jpg

442871.jpg

You need to strike a happy medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I find it amusing that many of the top mentalists and stage magicians find "Psychic mediums" to be absolute scum.
    They prey on hope, loss, insecurity and fear to line their own pockets.

Cold reading was the way to do this in thw past, but now people add the psychic as a friend on FB before making their appointment! So even that "skill" is hardly needed anymore.

The amount of detail available on a person even with private profiles after a cursory search once you have some details is staggering.
    Especially given that we Irish love to publish memorial notices in local papers.

Houdini, Derren Brown and the great James Randi have all made great store of debunking and exposing fake mediums.
    Randi has a 1 million dollar prize available to anyone who can prove an ESP/Psychic or medium talent.
    Its available over 30 years and has never been successfully claimed.

On a personal note, I have seen people destroy relationships and families, through taking this chicanery on board.
    Worse than that, the thought of someone taking money from someone at one of their lowpoints to feed them false hope and lies disgusts me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

last April I posted this https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103347503&postcount=11
    I had a FAS instructor who practically recommended lying on your CV, finished up my last job and decided to try it out by referencing my previous post as a shuttle pilot for SpacEx, whose responsibilities involved collecting space rocks and performing acoustic covers of David Bowie tracks and submitted it for a job. I got an email a couple of days later followed by a call from an agency, at which point I think they twigged it. It didn't help me get the job but it was the first callback from an application I had received since I started applying

Now, I don't know if that makes me psychic or if it means Elon Musk is reading boards, because he sent starman into orbit to collect space rocks to the tune of David Bowies Starman a couple of weeks ago. I suspect Elon Musk reads boards, he's a sneaky fecker.

Or maybe I really do work for SpacEx. shhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

no only medium.;)

Thank you.

It would have annoyed me if you didn't smack that down the fairway on a Sunday night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Anyone been to any of these ? two of my daughters went last week to a women who must have been Jesus, she was 100% accurate on everything she said she knew things about me that only my close family would know + one of my daughters boyfriend's stuff that only he would know about, + loads of stuff about my mothers house which one of them live in now and different things about themselves, Amazing --- :eek::cool:

What I have seen on TV I often wonder are those medium people full of crap? What I surprise me the most women seem to put a lot of faith in this thing. No men I know have visited a medium, plenty of women Iknow have though and they swear to me this medium could not have known. David Blaine has done this trick on TV and he reveals stuff about someone life he could not have known? I don't know how he does personally, unless you got in someone head, to know it? It strange people like David Blaine never actually tell you how they do it, it like a big secret or something, very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

i predict the 'medium' is a friend of yours, and you are hoping people from here will send you a private message asking for their contact details

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Hey, listen lads, knock um all you want but I went to one and I'm glad I did. Got great advice. She told me to watch out and be alert, that someone close to me was going to try swindle me out of money very soon.

Fair play to her. Was the best 50 euro I spent in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

I'm having a vision. It's a bit hazy, but wait a moment my third eye has cleared the mist and your future is crystal clear.
    I can hear coins clattering in a pocket whilst I see banknotes fall from the sky.

I can see a bank statement with your name printed upon it. It tells me that you will suffer a loss of money in the very near future. That's is all my clairvoyant eye can see right now my child

Btw that'll be 50 quid when you are ready love.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

What I have seen on TV I often wonder are those medium people full of crap? What I surprise me the most women seem to put a lot of faith in this thing. No men I know have visited a medium, plenty of women Iknow have though and they swear to me this medium could not have known. David Blaine has done this trick on TV and he reveals stuff about someone life he could not have known? I don't know how he does personally, unless you got in someone head, to know it? It strange people like David Blaine never actually tell you how they do it, it like a big secret or something, very strange.

Not most women I can assure you, you just appear to know a disproportionate amount of stupid women.

i predict the 'medium' is a friend of yours, and you are hoping people from here will send you a private message asking for their contact details

sorry I have nothing to do with her ,it was my daughters that went she lives about 30 miles from us., when writing I just wanted to know if people had any of their own experiences with 'Fortune Tellers. I just find it a mystery how these people know so much if they never met you, Nothing she told them would have been on social media.

koumi wrote: »
    last April I posted this https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103347503&postcount=11

Now, I don't know if that makes me psychic or if it means Elon Musk is reading boards, because he sent starman into orbit to collect space rocks to the tune of David Bowies Starman a couple of weeks ago. I suspect Elon Musk reads boards, he's a sneaky fecker.

Or maybe I really do work for SpacEx. shhhh

Interesting post eh maybe you should see a doctor.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Interesting post eh maybe you should see a doctor.:rolleyes:
    I have about three of them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

banie01 wrote: »
    I have seen people destroy relationships and families, through taking this chicanery on board.
    Ain't no fool like a willing fool...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I went to see 2 different ones. A man and a woman. I was warned before going in not to give anything away.

The man asked me was I ever worried about my dad. I replied yes and he asked me how he was doing now. My dad passed away when I was 11. I told the 'psychic' this and he completely brushed it off. Tbh I found it funny and didn't take anything he said seriously. He was useless, only in it for the money.

The second time, the woman, was interesting. She kept saying the name David to me but I didn't know anyone named David. When I told my mum, she told me that she had a miscarriage before me and she named the baby David. That was weird.

She did tell me to stop worrying about my boyfriend (now ex) that nothing bad would happen to him. He was diagnosed with an illness less than a year later.

It was interesting to go see them and hear what they would say but it hasn't made me do anything differently in my life. I do think it's a money making game and I probably won't ever bother going again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

sorry I have nothing to do with her ,it was my daughters that went she lives about 30 miles from us., when writing I just wanted to know if people had any of their own experiences with 'Fortune Tellers. I just find it a mystery how these people know so much if they never met you, Nothing she told them would have been on social media.

what specific things did the person know about that they couldnt possibly have discovered thru public knowledge/investigation or cold reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You only have to look at the physic forum on here to know there's a lot of suckers out there. Even when they're not happy with one they still take their money off to another one in the hopes of getting better news.
    A fool and their money as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I prefer mine well-done.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Did you hear about the psychic midget who has escaped from prison? The headline was: 'Small medium at large'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Esel wrote: »
    I prefer mine well-done.

thats rare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I went to one twice. It wasn't booked under my name but he told me my name (which is unusual). I was seeing a guy at the time and he told me to break up with him. About a year later I went back and he told me off for not breaking up with him and he wouldn't give me any more advice.

Then for a laugh I went with two girls from work to a woman who wouldn't read one of the girls as she was possessed by a spirit who lived in a colourful bird. I didn't even know this but she had peacocks on her lawn. She forecast that the other girl would do something workwise out of this world...coming back she told us that she had been offered a job with the European Space agency! Same woman told my cousin who has special needs child that she could see his sister bringing him for a walk. Given that she was over 42 at the time and wasn't planning any more children....nine months later had a little girl who now pushes the wheelchair

Mind you been to some complete charlatans! Haven't been in ages though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Safe to say here what I'd be carded for on the appropriate forum. :D

1. 'Mediums'. You are charlatans and parasites. If you honestly think you have genuine abilities in this regard, you are a deluded parasitic charlatan.

2. If you 'believe'. If you pay a parasitic charlatan (deluded or otherwise) then you are a fcuking idiot. Judging by the general standard of posting in the other aforementioned forum though, you probably wouldn't understand why. Even if I typed any one of several explanations really, really slowly, so you could keep up.

3. If you're of the 'ah sure it's just a bit of fun' mob. No, it's not. You lend credence to idiocy. You help lower the standards overall. Stupid people think it's real because smart people play along. The Enlightenment was a good thing. Stop dragging on it.

Addendum. To any 'medium' who might read this without the need for explanatory illustrations. You're a fcuking idiot. If you're robbing fools, at least charge a professional rate. They'll pay it. I know several fcukwits who swear by you. And they get away with paying you what you think is a professional fee. You could be taking them for more. If you're going to take advantage of the cognitively challenged, don't be half arsed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

banie01 wrote: »
    I find it amusing that many of the top mentalists and stage magicians find "Psychic mediums" to be absolute scum.
    They prey on hope, loss, insecurity and fear to line their own pockets.

Cold reading was the way to do this in thw past, but now people add the psychic as a friend on FB before making their appointment! So even that "skill" is hardly needed anymore.
    e
    The trick is to set up a Facebook account with misleading information, and add them as a friend to that. Preferably, you should have had the account set up a few years ago (for such events), as a brand new account may raise suspicions. You shouldn't have too many friends on this account, but enough to make it look real. Emphasise your love of railway trains, and cabbage & bacon (with photos to prove it).
    I knew you were going to say that!
    I knew you were going to say that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'd love to know what it was that she "knew" ...
    OP it's called cold reading ...

Have a look at this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6uj1ruTmGQ

Advertisement