Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

No idea about the Dublin route.
    Dates for sailings from Rosslare usually appear late November-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The Dublin ferry would have the same schedule as they can only rob a ferry off the Holyhead route at the weekend when there's less freight traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

I notice the Rosslare to Cherbourg ferry this year sailed every second Monday, Tuesday and Sunday during June and then during July they introduced a Saturday sailing every second week. Do they do this schedule every year, or could it possibly change next year?

DerryRed wrote: »
    I notice the Rosslare to Cherbourg ferry this year sailed every second Monday, Tuesday and Sunday during June and then during July they introduced a Saturday sailing every second week. Do they do this schedule every year, or could it possibly change next year?
    no clue on that as its a mad schedule as they are balancing providing a service to Roscoff and Cherbourg with the same vessel. Youd want to wait to see it published.

Also checkout Stena as their schedule has remained more or less constant for the past 4 or 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

In the past I have emailed them and they have sent me a pdf of the timetable for the following year, no prices though. They usually release timetable/prices at the end of september/start of october.
    Stena and Brittany are selling summer 2016 sailings already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

So we are thinking of our 2016 family holiday and seriously considering taking the Ferry to France and Eurocamp (for part of it anyway). We have never done this kind of holiday before so looking for advice / tips etc.

Have been looking online and basic plan is to take the Ferry from Ireland to France, 9 nights in Eurocamp (considering the Loire or Dordogne), then 1 week in an Airbnb somewhere near Bordeaux then back up to Brittany / Normandy where we have family for 4/5 nights and then home on the Ferry !

Our kids will be 10 & 7 by then. We live in the North East.

Our family holidays have been mainly to a family owned place in Greece, some Airbnb houses and Hotels in Greece and France & Disneyland Paris. So, would like to try something different for next year.

When is the best time to book?

Have looked at Stena and Brittany Ferries but can't seem to see 2016 Schedule / Price for Irish Ferries - when do they come out ? Also which is the best (overall but incl price) to go with ?

Any tips on the Eurocamp part ? How are the Kids Clubs ?

We don't mind driving in France and long journeys.

All tips / advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

We took the Irish ferries Epsilon this year for first time- usually take Oscar Wilde - and I am so sorry we did. Its small, no facilities and much rockier crossing (due to size / stabilizers) than Oscar Wilde. Back to Rosslare from now on...

H2G2 wrote: »
    We took the Irish ferries Epsilon this year for first time- usually take Oscar Wilde - and I am so sorry we did. Its small, no facilities and much rockier crossing (due to size / stabilizers) than Oscar Wilde. Back to Rosslare from now on...
    Oscar Wilde is 166.30 m long
    Epsilon 186.50 m

so which ship is too small again ???????????????????????????

BTW, there was some very bad weather there in the past few weeks and I've seem people posting pictures also from the Holland-England crossings with very choppy conditions, so to be honest you should have a think about the weather too.

I've travelled with both ships in choppy weather in December/January and my wife Daughter get equally as sick on both!!!!
    (whilst me and the son seem to be immune thankfully)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Unconfirmed so far but word is that IF have extended the lease on Epsilon to end of 2016.

If that is the case then I would expect the current sailing pattern from Dublin to remain.

As said above it is worthwhile contacting them directly if you need a sailing schedule in advance of them releasing the bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

As we're coming to the end of Summer 2015 it's time to start planning for 2016. I just provisionally booked my campsite holiday to France this morning for July 9th 2016 to July 30th 2016.

This thread last year http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057267331 and it's predecessor http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057103851 in 2014 when LD Lines offered great deals helped a lot of people to get the best deals possible on ferries.

This year the best deal seemed to be had if you took advantage of the Stena Line 25% Ploughing Championship discount - https://www.stenaline.ie/showoffer

Hopefully they'll repeat that discount when the show happens again between Sept 22nd and 24th this year - http://www.npa.ie

If anyone knows of any good deals (will LD Lines or an equivalent emerge??) or discounts please post them here and share the love ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

As we're coming to the end of Summer 2015 it's time to start planning for 2016. I just provisionally booked my campsite holiday to France this morning for July 9th 2016 to July 30th 2016.

This thread last year http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057267331 and it's predecessor http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057103851 in 2014 when LD Lines offered great deals helped a lot of people to get the best deals possible on ferries.

This year the best deal seemed to be had if you took advantage of the Stena Line 25% Ploughing Championship discount - https://www.stenaline.ie/showoffer

Hopefully they'll repeat that discount when the show happens again between Sept 22nd and 24th this year - http://www.npa.ie

If anyone knows of any good deals (will LD Lines or an equivalent emerge??) or discounts please post them here and share the love ;)

Any idea when Irish ferries put up the 2016 prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Oscar Wilde is 166.30 m long
    Epsilon 186.50 m

so which ship is too small again ???????????????????????????

BTW, there was some very bad weather there in the past few weeks and I've seem people posting pictures also from the Holland-England crossings with very choppy conditions, so to be honest you should have a think about the weather too.

I've travelled with both ships in choppy weather in December/January and my wife Daughter get equally as sick on both!!!!
    (whilst me and the son seem to be immune thankfully)

There is more to it than length. The OW is by far the larger vessel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Any idea when Irish ferries put up the 2016 prices?

Hi SD4E, I trust you had a good trip home? I'm still in Masson, going home Saturday. It's been a great break. Super weather and lots of relaxing.

I'm going to wait for the IF timetables to be published but I don't know when that will be. I'd like to sail Friday July 8th but both Stena and Britanny only sail on Sat the 9th. Hopefully IF will sail on the 8th.

I am very interested in following this thread as we are seriously considering taking the Ferry to France for our family holiday for 2016.

We have not done this type of family holiday before or taken the Ferry to France as a family though I did with my own family circa 20+ years ago !

I have been talking to Eurocamp regarding Accommodation and they seem to have a preliminary Irish Ferries Schedule for 2016 but it is not yet confirmed.

Have also been looking at the Tesco Tokens. I have approx €65 of tokens so far and will have more by the end of August. That would convert to €260 to use on Irish Ferries. But it says something on the site about restricted availability and peak times. We want to travel approx June 21st. Would this be a problem ? From what I am reading you have to convert the Tesco tokens into Travel Tokens before you make a Booking but I don't want to do that if I can't use them for the sailing we want. Anyone done this before ??

I have phoned Irish Ferries but the person on the phone was quite vague but did say that I can make the Booking on the phone with them and pay the Deposit by Card and then convert whatever tokens I have to Travel Vouchers and pay the balance with the Vouchers and Card. Although this contradicts what it says on their own website.

Also looking for advice on eating on the Oscar Wilde - would anyone recommend having our main meal on the boat or should we eat our main meal before we get to Rosslare ? Our kids will be 10 & 7.

All advice for a Newbie welcomed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Jean, do you know whether the people that had booked with Stena prior to the ploughing if they could retrospectively avail of the 25% discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

Susan

I booked with IF for the first time this year using Tesco tokens. Did it all online, booking a scheduled journey and at the end selecting the Tesco tokens option. There was a 20e extra fee each way. Tokens came to about 80% of the total return cost. Sailed same time of year as your looking at and I booked in Oct/Nov 14.
    There was no issue with restrictions around which journey I had to take etc. All very straight forward.
    You need to send the Tesco tokens to Tesco first, converting them into 4 times the value of IF tokens.

We didn't eat on board (Oscar Wilde) but my kids were much younger than yours. There's plenty of advice about meals and their high costs etc on this site, mummypages etc.
    We brought some sambo's in the Centra in Rosslare Port beforehand and had some breakfast in the cooler bag for the next morning. Partly to save cash but also to save a lot of hassle of 3 young ones in a restaurant!

Re accomm in France. We booked ours directly through the campsite, so made a 20% saving or so v's going through eurocamp.

All in all 2 weeks for ship and accomm cost us just under 1k!

@jay - did you have to pay the full price to Irish Ferries when you booked in Oct/Nov 2014 ? I wanted to pay the Deposit on booking with Card and then the Balance using the Tesco Vouchers and Card if necessary 6 weeks before departure. I wouldn't have enough Tokens to have 80% of the Booking. The girl on the phone at Irish Ferries said that what I want to do is do-able but their website says that it's not.

I was thinking that maybe the best plan is to eat our Main meal somewhere close to Rosslare and then bring food for the Ferry. Must try to find the other threads re food on the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hi SD4E, I trust you had a good trip home? I'm still in Masson, going home Saturday. It's been a great break. Super weather and lots of relaxing.

I'm going to wait for the IF timetables to be published but I don't know when that will be. I'd like to sail Friday July 8th but both Stena and Britanny only sail on Sat the 9th. Hopefully IF will sail on the 8th.

i had to check the calendar when i read that you were still there, it feels like I've been back at work for months! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

SusanC10 wrote: »
    @jay - did you have to pay the full price to Irish Ferries when you booked in Oct/Nov 2014 ? I wanted to pay the Deposit on booking with Card and then the Balance using the Tesco Vouchers and Card if necessary 6 weeks before departure. I wouldn't have enough Tokens to have 80% of the Booking. The girl on the phone at Irish Ferries said that what I want to do is do-able but their website says that it's not.

I was thinking that maybe the best plan is to eat our Main meal somewhere close to Rosslare and then bring food for the Ferry. Must try to find the other threads re food on the ferry.

You can do that but you need to make the booking over the phone instead of online. Then you can send in tokens anytime up until the balance is due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Mok

We went in July for the first time this year and did rosslare - roscoff on a Thursday and cherbourg - rosslare on a Wednesday coming back. I shopped around like mad and this was definitely the cheapest way to go at the time - we did book in around January though I think.

We stayed in a small village called montalivet, close enough to Bordeaux but on the coast and it was fab, lots of surfing etc so plenty for kids to do on the beach, also plenty of great campsites here. Not sure about Eurocamp though.

On the way back we broke up the drive by staying near a theme park called futureoscope which is fantastic. It wasn't very expensive, you'd definitely get a day if not two out of it. Loads of 3d and 4d shows and science based rides, and they have a great light show at night which our daughter is still talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Jean, do you know whether the people that had booked with Stena prior to the ploughing if they could retrospectively avail of the 25% discount?

We booked Stena last year in early Sept and then hubbie went to ploughing and got 25% discount. We phoned Stena and they refunded the difference for the discount but think I won't book this year until we can compare with IF - and look at prices with the discounts from Tesco & hopefully ploughing championships.

Also need to check if we can combine Tesco discount with ploughing championships discount ? Prob not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Do you have to attend the ploughing to get the discount?

No - it was a link printed on flyers

Should be safe enough to wait till end September before booking anything - IF prices are not even out yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

Nope. When booking online I entered the value of vouchers I had and it deducted that, leaving the balance which I paid on my cc at the time.
    I then had 5 days or so to get the vouchers into the IF head office so they could verify the transaction

i had to check the calendar when i read that you were still there, it feels like I've been back at work for months! :mad:

Ha, feels like I've been here for months bit I know by the end of next week it will feel like I've been home for months!

Do you have to attend the ploughing to get the discount?

Not in the past you didn't.

I am very interested in following this thread as we are seriously considering taking the Ferry to France for our family holiday for 2016.

We have not done this type of family holiday before or taken the Ferry to France as a family though I did with my own family circa 20+ years ago !

I have been talking to Eurocamp regarding Accommodation and they seem to have a preliminary Irish Ferries Schedule for 2016 but it is not yet confirmed.

Have also been looking at the Tesco Tokens. I have approx €65 of tokens so far and will have more by the end of August. That would convert to €260 to use on Irish Ferries. But it says something on the site about restricted availability and peak times. We want to travel approx June 21st. Would this be a problem ? From what I am reading you have to convert the Tesco tokens into Travel Tokens before you make a Booking but I don't want to do that if I can't use them for the sailing we want. Anyone done this before ??

I have phoned Irish Ferries but the person on the phone was quite vague but did say that I can make the Booking on the phone with them and pay the Deposit by Card and then convert whatever tokens I have to Travel Vouchers and pay the balance with the Vouchers and Card. Although this contradicts what it says on their own website.

Also looking for advice on eating on the Oscar Wilde - would anyone recommend having our main meal on the boat or should we eat our main meal before we get to Rosslare ? Our kids will be 10 & 7.

All advice for a Newbie welcomed :)

Hi Susan

I was like you last year, we travelled to France by ferry for 2 weeks with 4 & 2 yr old for the first time, but now I'm a convert. You have the freedom to bring what you need and don't have to worry about bags with kids.

We ate in Rosslare before we boarded and had snacks, drinks & fruit for the kids as they went to sleep after the shows ( magic, disco etc) around 9pm.

Next morning I had cereal & milk, fruit and brioches with us so we never used the restaurants as I had read they were expensive for what you got.

We have pre-booked next years trip with Eurocamp and just waiting on ferry prices atm, also hoping to use tesco vouchers to part pay :) Any other questions just ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

aquarius10 wrote: »
    Hi Susan

I was like you last year, we travelled to France by ferry for 2 weeks with 4 & 2 yr old for the first time, but now I'm a convert. You have the freedom to bring what you need and don't have to worry about bags with kids.

We ate in Rosslare before we boarded and had snacks, drinks & fruit for the kids as they went to sleep after the shows ( magic, disco etc) around 9pm.

Next morning I had cereal & milk, fruit and brioches with us so we never used the restaurants as I had read they were expensive for what you got.

We have pre-booked next years trip with Eurocamp and just waiting on ferry prices atm, also hoping to use tesco vouchers to part pay :) Any other questions just ask

I don't think the food is that expensive on IF Oscar Wilde..

We returned last week and had cooked breakfast for four of us, 2 adults, 12YO & 7YO.
    We got 3 5-piece breakfasts (4 cooked items & 2 slices of toast, cooked item is 2 sausages/2 hash browns/2 rashers)
    2 fresh orange juices and 2 teas, €39, less than €10 a head and there was food left on the table when we had eaten our breakfast. the standard of food is also very high.

I laughed at the cleverness of a guy when we were going over, he got 2 5-piece breakfasts, one was 10 sausages, one was 10 slices of toast, 2 teas and 3 juices, family of five had sausage sambos in them for maybe ~€25/28

Advertisement