Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Cards Again !

• 01-06-2016 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭

I cannot see any thread here on Black Cards in the last year so I would like to reopen the discussion without repeating anything that has been said here before.

To the point.

A Black card in football with 15 minutes of the 70 remaining should automatically be a Red Card. Fourth official to have responsibility of advising the referee in regard to the time of the offence.

Hurling

With 15 minutes remaining the equivalent of a Black Card in football should become a Red Card.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭howiya

Terrible idea. How do you define the last 15 minutes of a match? Is it from 55 on or does the referee have the authority to say there's already been a 5 minute stoppage so I'll only implement your idea from 60 minutes as the clock will run to 75 minutes.... Another stoppage and the offence may not have been in the last 15 minutes of the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Xenophile

howiya wrote: »
    Terrible idea. How do you define the last 15 minutes of a match? Is it from 55 on or does the referee have the authority to say there's already been a 5 minute stoppage so I'll only implement your idea from 60 minutes as the clock will run to 75 minutes.... Another stoppage and the offence may not have been in the last 15 minutes of the game...

Its quite clear, a red card anytime after 55 minutes play. Let's keep it simple !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Xenophile wrote: »
    Its quite clear, a red card anytime after 55 minutes play. Let's keep it simple !

agree. a red card offence gets a red card. a black card offence gets a black card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

bruschi wrote: »
    agree. a red card offence gets a red card. a black card offence gets a black card.

This +1

Why would you think a black card offence should become a red card just because its the last 15 minutes?

From my experience so far in club football this year the refs have stopped giving out black cards and generally give yellows/warnings instead.

heroics wrote: »
    This +1

Why would you think a black card offence should become a red card just because its the last 15 minutes?

From my experience so far in club football this year the refs have stopped giving out black cards and generally give yellows/warnings instead.

If you drag someone down in front of goal with three minutes to go, the player takes a black card for the team, this is not an appropriate punishment, it makes a total laugh of the black card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Black card offences in the last 5 minutes gets a black card and a 13m free regardless of where it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

If you drag someone down in front of goal with three minutes to go, the player takes a black card for the team, this is not an appropriate punishment, it makes a total laugh of the black card.

with 3 minutes to go I don't think red or black will make a difference that player is still going to be dragged down if through on goal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

All cards become of less importance as the match approaches its end.

That's why there needs to be an extra punishment like a 13m free.

A red card will impact on the team for the following game !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I think the black card should be scrapped.
    Yellow cards and reds were better. The black card was a attempt to do something about the "professional foul " without calling anything " professional " in front of the GPA. A cop-out by punishing individuals more than the team and is open to abuse by counties with stronger squads v weaker counties

cjmc wrote: »
    I think the black card should be scrapped.
    Yellow cards and reds were better. The black card was a attempt to do something about the "professional foul " without calling anything " professional " in front of the GPA. A cop-out by punishing individuals more than the team and is open to abuse by counties with stronger squads v weaker counties

I agree, so lets say long live the red card and the courage of referees to use it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I personally liked the sin bin.

for the last 10 minutes of a game it would really punish the offending team

The current ruling makes no reference to where the offence takes place

The current ruling makes no reference to where the offence takes place

It's time to have the rule completely reviewed !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Maybe the other team should play better and thus not be behind late in the game.
    Or do their 'breaking the defence and being in on goal thing' in the 47th minute rather than the 67th minute. Thus making the committing a foul or not decision tougher for the opposition.
    The idea that the penalty should be different depending on time remaining is bafflingly wrong. Play better sooner, induce yellow, black and red cards as early as possible and thus get the maximum benefit from them.

It's time to have the rule completely reviewed !

You know what to do so. Propose the wording, bring it to your club's AGM and if passed onto county convention and so forth.

You know what to do so. Propose the wording, bring it to your club's AGM and if passed onto county convention and so forth.

Absolutely correct, and I have a few months to do it before the AGM.

Absolutely correct, and I have a few months to do it before the AGM.

Fair play. Good to see people not just talking about it but actually doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The Black card should simply be off for 10 mins, similar to a YC in rugby.

keep your YC if you want , but for Cynical play give a black card and your team is down to 14 players for 10mins.

Two cards of any colour is a red.

The black card atm is a joke, swapping a player is something that you would do at underage games.

• Advertisement

1207944.jpg

1207945.jpg

1207805.jpg

1207806.jpg

dont anyone tell me that the black card is working. I posted this here as this is not about Costello or what he did or the Dublin Kerry game, but the fact that this sort of "play" is "punished" by being substituted with less than 60 seconds of play left. Intentionally pulling someone down by a head lock as their opponent tried run up the field to get a game winning goal.

The black card is absolute nonsense. It does nothing to stop cynical play and in a lot of cases has just made things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

1207944.jpg[IMG][/img]1207945.jpg[IMG][/img]1207805.jpg[IMG][/img]1207806.jpgdont anyone tell me that the black card is working. I posted this here as this is not about Costello or what he did or the Dublin Kerry game, but the fact that this sort of "play" is "punished" by being substituted with less than 60 seconds of play left. Intentionally pulling someone down by a head lock as their opponent tried run up the field to get a game winning goal.  The black card is absolute nonsense. It does nothing to stop cynical play and in a lot of cases has just made things worse.

I could see that as clear as day yesterday from 305RR and I was thinking that perhaps it wasn't as bad as it seems because surely the ref would have called it or the linesman would have done something.

I could see that as clear as day yesterday from 305RR and I was thinking that perhaps it wasn't as bad as it seems because surely the ref would have called it or the linesman would have done something.

they did. he got his black card. sure what harm. it's utterly ridiculous.

and again, this isnt about the game or Costello, this happens in every game now and will continue to happen. That right there is as good a case of cynicism as you will ever see. And how does the team being sinned against benefit? They dont. The player gets replaced, the play went on and they were an attacker down and more time is wasted in ordering off the player and a sub coming on. The player doing the fouling does his job and his team benefits from it without any significant repercussion.

The black card is a great idea.

If reffs used it properly.

And if people like Tommy Carr refrained from telling us that the Tipp guy did not deserve the black card cos it was so early in the game.

They said on the Sunday game last night that it should be got rid of.

If it is then its back to the days of guys being hauled down left right and centre and no pusishiout than a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

they did. he got his black card. sure what harm. it's utterly ridiculous.

and again, this isnt about the game or Costello, this happens in every game now and will continue to happen. That right there is as good a case of cynicism as you will ever see. And how does the team being sinned against benefit? They dont. The player gets replaced, the play went on and they were an attacker down and more time is wasted in ordering off the player and a sub coming on. The player doing the fouling does his job and his team benefits from it without any significant repercussion.

Sorry no. I mean he should have walked for that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I just thought the ref had forgotten to bring his black card with him yesterday, until I saw him produce it at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Water John wrote: »
    I just thought the ref had forgotten to bring his black card with him yesterday, until I saw him produce it at the end.

Robbie Kiely must have felt very aggrieved watching it, its the lack of consitency is the problem.

Does anyone think that the rules of the black card stop cynical fouling? The main talking point about this black card was Sean Cavanaghs pull down against Monaghan. If faced with the same situation again, would a player do anything differently? What is their punishment for stopping another team scoring a goal?

Or like yesterdays example and also Donal Vaughan in the last Mayo game, what was their punishment for stopping an attacking play in ijury time at the end when the opposition needed a goal. Did the punishment of a black card stop them from committing their acts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

The black card has proven to be a terrible idea.
    The GAA was too childish to borrow an idea that works from a "foreign" sport.
    A yellow card resulting in 10 minute sin bin would do far more to stop professional fouling.
    The black card as someone says only helps stronger counties.
    Tipp's defensive organization took a big hit against Mayo because they have less strength in depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭threeball

1207944.jpg

1207945.jpg

1207805.jpg

1207806.jpg

dont anyone tell me that the black card is working. I posted this here as this is not about Costello or what he did or the Dublin Kerry game, but the fact that this sort of "play" is "punished" by being substituted with less than 60 seconds of play left. Intentionally pulling someone down by a head lock as their opponent tried run up the field to get a game winning goal.

The black card is absolute nonsense. It does nothing to stop cynical play and in a lot of cases has just made things worse.

Perhaps the best route for incidents like above is citing's as in rugby. It wont help the team it hurts most but the likes of that can't go unpunished.

Advertisement