Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the Lotto down everywhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

I would say it does have something to do with the takeover; right in the thick of negotiations. They could have been demonstrating the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Imagine the feeling of extra luck from the person who does the lotto tomorrow and wins now that we have an extra day to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Whatever they did with the new takeover, they made a (pardon the pun) balls of it.

Can't even remember the last time I was able to check my ticket on the self scanners yokes.

It's down everywhere I tried between Newlands cross, Naas and Newbridge btw.

The self scanners only read the older yellow tickets from before it was taken over bynthe new shower.

A friend of mine works in a very busy newsagents and has said there has been a dramatic drop in the number of peoe winning money on scratch cards and on the lotto but no drop in actual sales. I do the lotto twice a week every week religiously and I tegularly won small amounts with the odd bigger amount but since the new people took over I haven't won a single penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Yeah, down down, deeper and down, even...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Yeah the most annoying thing is waiting for the light to come on on the new machines. Can take 10/15 seconds sometimes, fairly annoying. I've also noticed a lot less winning scratch cards. Thought the first few rolls might have a few more winners than usual but clearly not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

The whole o2/Telefonica thing I don't get, I haven't seen a single report of any major European networks being down apart from this instance with the Lotto.

It must be a very specific part of the data connection, one that regular data users don't use. That being said, up until about a week or two ago when the latest update was applied, the connection to HQ was a joke, regardless of connection type.

Can't wait to read this week's Csna newsletter lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It's a huge contract, the lotto. Inexcusable if it doesn't run smoothly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Yeah the most annoying thing is waiting for the light to come on on the new machines. Can take 10/15 seconds sometimes, fairly annoying. I've also noticed a lot less winning scratch cards. Thought the first few rolls might have a few more winners than usual but clearly not.

Maybe your already doing this but you need to tap the screen to wake it up before scanning a ticket. So if the scrolling text is on the screen you need to tap the screen once before scanning the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

The UK lotto was down too I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Some bloke tripped over the plug in Lotto HQ, same fella that brought down Ulster Bank a couple of years back

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »

So is supplying water to the nation, but here we are. Sums up perfectly the way the current Government are running the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

vienne86 wrote: »

Especially when you consider that in the 20 odd years the lotto has been running I can't remember a single instance where they had to cancel the draw because of some technical glitch or anything else for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There are only so many times you can gunter the machine for roll overs before it finally snaps

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bugfreebob wrote: »
    The Lotto are blaming Telefonica/O2 network in Spain. Perhaps a problem due to the takeover by Three. Three have managed to disassociate themselves from the announcement, however. It probably suits them to blame the previous owners of the network. Why do Irish Lottery transactions need to go through Spain? Does that mean that O2's data network goes through Spain? The announcement said that the outage affected other business customers of Telefonica/O2.
    From what I can tell, Telefonica/O2 are the only Irish network who don't peer at the INEX, so it's very much possible that all of their priority business traffic is peered and routed through somewhere else in Europe.

This may be a case that in preparation for O2 being taken over by Three, Telefonica were screwing around with their network config.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

Imagine the feeling of extra luck from the person who does the lotto tomorrow and wins now that we have an extra day to do it.

I've never done the lotto before. Going to give it a whirl today for the craic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Imagine being the person who did the same numbers on Tuesday, and finding you have to share €10m with some other fecker who bought their ticket after the proper deadline?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

RainyDay wrote: »
    Imagine being the person who did the same numbers on Tuesday, and finding you have to share €10m with some other fecker who bought their ticket after the proper deadline?

That makes no sense , the numbers are random so a different set of numbers would have been picked.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yeah have noticed that with the cards and the positioning of the cards on the tray, the biggest problem isn't getting the camera to read the ticket, card or slip, it's in getting the camera/sensor to activate at times when the red light has gone off. Total nightmare at times and only compounded by the self checkers being out of action.

I'll tell ya what the biggest problem is.

If an old lotto ticket barcode wouldn't scan we only had to enter a 12 digit (IIRC) number to validate it.

It's now a.............55 digit number !!!

And if you get a digit wrong near the beginning without noticing you have to delete the whole lot nearly and effectively start again.

Royal pain in the @rse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Only two months after taking charge of the National Lottery, the new operator Premier Lotteries Ireland are causing a drop in sales and service levels.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/retailers-call-for-lotto-inquiry-over-new-ticket-terminals-1.2070476

Retailers claim there's a drop in ticket sales. :)

It would be interesting to see what the figures are like for the whole of the last two years rather than making any grand statements about the effect of the new company.

I suspect that retailers are massively losing out to online sales as people realise that buying your ticket in the shop is for mugs.

PLI asked me to come in and interview for a senior technical position a few months back. Glad I didn't go for it now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

seamus wrote: »
    Retailers claim there's a drop in ticket sales. :)

It would be interesting to see what the figures are like for the whole of the last two years rather than making any grand statements about the effect of the new company.

I suspect that retailers are massively losing out to online sales as people realise that buying your ticket in the shop is for mugs.

PLI asked me to come in and interview for a senior technical position a few months back. Glad I didn't go for it now :D

Why? :confused:

Why? :confused:
    Because online takes a couple of seconds.

Granted, plenty of people will have a routine that includes popping into the shops, but I don't see the inside of a newsagent from one week to the next, I'd have to go out of my way to buy in a shop. Even then you have to queue in the lotto queue. Yawn.

Online, couple of clicks, done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

seamus wrote: »
    Because online takes a couple of seconds.

Granted, plenty of people will have a routine that includes popping into the shops, but I don't see the inside of a newsagent from one week to the next, I'd have to go out of my way to buy in a shop. Even then you have to queue in the lotto queue. Yawn.

Online, couple of clicks, done.

Lotto queue? I just pay when i am buying something in there but each to their own i suppose.

The sale of their main scratch card game is through the floor because of the new game show!

As for online v in store, a hell of a lot of players are impulse buys, which only happens in store.

Hardly ever do the lottery but bought 2 lines today because the boo boo was on my mind. Perhaps this was a marketing ploy????

If more people buy today, does the prize fund increase?

Hardly ever do the lottery but bought 2 lines today because the boo boo was on my mind. Perhaps this was a marketing ploy????

If more people buy today, does the prize fund increase?
    Yep.

The total prize fund for any lotto draw is made up 52% of the gross ticket sales up until sale close.

The jackpot is 46.15% of this (so 24% of the total ticket sales), plus whatever has rolled over from previous draws.

They are able to tell you that the jackpot is €10m in advance because they have a good idea of the minimum ticket sales they expect in advance of the draw.

But this is the reason why you only see the actual jackpot right before the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I was talking to the lady in Centra this morning about the whole mess. She was telling me that regular punters were coming back to buy a second ticket for today's draw. And she was bang on...when we were running this, it worked. The New Improved Super Duper Lottery is a load of bollix.
    They're all paying for my retirement anyway because I bought the winning ticket yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

So they only had 50% expected sales yesterday after guaranteeing 10 million so they pretended to have a technical fault so they could get another day of sales

So they only had 50% expected sales yesterday after guaranteeing 10 million so they pretended to have a technical fault so they could get another day of sales

They had less sales because the Lotto terminals couldn't connect to the main system in Dublin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Somebody won the 10 million! Congrats you lucky duck :)
    The numbers drawn were 9,10,18,20,24,26 and the bonus was 35.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/one-winning-ticket-of-10m-lotto-draw-30968414.html

Advertisement