Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unorthodox grip: Minor

Options
  • 26-02-2014 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

A bit of background:
    I started playing hurling when i was about 6, when i was 12 i gave up and i recently(2 months ago) joined back hurling & football at the age of 16.
    I held the hurley wrong from the start and it never bothered me, even at 10 when my teacher tried to fix it.
    hurling training starts tomorrow and I don't know whether to stick with my grip or try and fix it?

How I hold the hurley:
    I hold the hurley with the left hand on top, I catch with my left hand and strike of my right which means I throw the ball up with my left hand and put it back on top then strike. I solo holding the hurley with my right hand but its always a handswidth down the hurley not on top.

If I should change my grip, any tips on how to change? I tried recently but it is agonizing how poor my strike is when I do, It feels so unnatural.
    Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

Do what ever is comfortable for you. If you are at no disadvantage in striking or catching then I wouldn't change. If you really want to change the only thing I would recommend do is visit a hurling wall and practice the 'unnatural way' again and again and again until you feel really comfortable. Its not going to change overnight so plenty of practice would be essential. Make sure you practice striking on the left also. When I visit a wall ball I try and keep my striking 70% on the left and 30% on the right (I am right handed).
    Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gee

Thank you, the reason I am worried is people say when you throw the ball up to strike it with the hand thats on top, you take longer to strike which isnt good in a match and some of my friends can score from 65's but I can only score from 45. part of this is maybe my lack of strength but I thought maybe some of it is my grip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

went back hurling a few years ago myself and do the same thing, technically hitting off my left is correct with my left hand at the top but incorrect off the right with my left hand on the top too. When you think about it every right handed player I've seen has his right hand on the top when hitting off the left which is technically wrong too? There are loads of top hurlers who do it this way too, keep an eye on every picture of a hurler you see in the papers or online and you'll see there are plenty.

Also with myself when playing the xbox I have to invert the y axis..down is up in the thumb stick...my brain is wired arse ways but it's whatever you're comfortable with. I got myself in a rut trying to correct it and constantly thinking about it which got in the way of me just letting myself hurl naturally as I would. Here's a few pics to put you at ease, all savage hurlers. Aidan Walsh, Willie Hyland & Eoin Larkin

aidan-walsh-8-390x285.jpg

LarkinEoin_Strike.jpg

WillieHyland_App.jpg

markfla wrote: »
    went back hurling a few years ago myself and do the same thing, technically hitting off my left is correct with my left hand at the top but incorrect off the right with my left hand on the top too. When you think about it every right handed player I've seen has his right hand on the top when hitting off the left which is technically wrong too? There are loads of top hurlers who do it this way too, keep an eye on every picture of a hurler you see in the papers or online and you'll see there are plenty.

Also with myself when playing the xbox I have to invert the y axis..down is up in the thumb stick...my brain is wired arse ways but it's whatever you're comfortable with. I got myself in a rut trying to correct it and constantly thinking about it which got in the way of me just letting myself hurl naturally as I would. Here's a few pics to put you at ease, all savage hurlers. Aidan Walsh, Willie Hyland & Eoin Larkin

This has definitely made me more confident in the way I do it.
    I guess the main aim in hurling is hit the ball from A to B and whichever way I choose to do it is ok, as long as I'm good at that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Sorry mark buth all of this is totally inaccurate and misunderstands the kids problem. The players you are talking about have their left hand on to because they are naturally left handed. The key difference is that they catch the ball in their right hand. This lad is hurling with the right hand lower down, the left hand on top the same as these guys but catchs the ball in his left hand. Hend absolutely must change this if say all possible otherwise he will never be able to hit the ball off his left side with any power. Walter walsh is a good example of this. a player who could be terrifying is made manageable by the knowledge that pushing him on to his left reduces his effectiveness.

Make every effort to change to right on top or it wil l diminish you as a player. This is not an opinion it is a simple fact

Get your dad our someone to tape your right hand to the top of the hurley and go out in the back yard and stick at it.
    Best of luck

aidan-walsh-8-390x285.jpg

LarkinEoin_Strike.jpg

WillieHyland_App.jpg

• Advertisement

Watch larkins catching hand and the hand he carers his hurley in. this lad catchs with his left but carrys the hurley in his right if I understand you correctly
    Also tell your coach about the problem and even your team mates and they should be very helpful to you

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Good points, important to be able to catch with both. For an old dog like me it's probably too late. As said above talk to coach, few opinions and hit the ball alley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Sorry mark buth all of this is totally inaccurate and misunderstands the kids problem. The players you are talking about have their left hand on to because they are naturally left handed. The key difference is that they catch the ball in their right hand. This lad is hurling with the right hand lower down, the left hand on top the same as these guys but catchs the ball in his left hand. Hend absolutely must change this if say all possible otherwise he will never be able to hit the ball off his left side with any power. Walter walsh is a good example of this. a player who could be terrifying is made manageable by the knowledge that pushing him on to his left reduces his effectiveness.

Make every effort to change to right on top or it wil l diminish you as a player. This is not an opinion it is a simple fact

Get your dad our someone to tape your right hand to the top of the hurley and go out in the back yard and stick at it.
    Best of luck

Catch with your other hand.
    Keep the left hand on the Hurley.

You're too old to change old habits!
    Best thing is to maximise your potential with the unorthodox grip

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

What hand do you write with? Always have that hand on top, doesn't matter which side you swing off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Good points, important to be able to catch with both. For an old dog like me it's probably too late. As said above talk to coach, few opinions and hit the ball alley

Keep your damn slioters out of the ball alley :mad:

:)

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Not correct but a firm myth of the gaa this one. It is difficult but a willing player can change at any age. I changed a 15 year old last summer. His friend who was not willing to put the work in can't change he tells me.
    I was speaking to a hurling coach who teachs in a kilkenny primary school. He could not get one of the current ballyhale players to change in school but when the same player got to 22 and was not making the seniors he changed himself over a winter. He has an allireland club medal on the field of play.

There is no obligation to change but you can't fulfil your potential if you don't.

Im right handed, so shouldn't i just keep catching with my left and learn to play with my right hand on top?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Gee wrote: »
    Im right handed, so shouldn't i just keep catching with my left and learn to play with my right hand on top?

Yes thats exactly what you should be trying to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Had the same problem myself till I was 14/15, a coach at a skills camp picked some of us out and basicaly forced us to change. I think there's nothing fully "wrong" with the golf style grip (holding your dominant hand closer to the head), but it makes it more awkward for striking off your weaker side.

Took a little while to get used to the "right" way (weaker hand on top), but since your arms are already used to the basic mechanics of the strike, you will get into it after a bit of practice.

Had the same problem myself till I was 14/15, a coach at a skills camp picked some of us out and basicaly forced us to change. I think there's nothing fully "wrong" with the golf style grip (holding your dominant hand closer to the head), but it makes it more awkward for striking off your weaker side.

there are lots of little small things that players do incorrectly that don`t make a whole ton of difference but catching the ball in the hand closeset to the top of the stick is not one of them.

it is a disaster which wrecks the chances of otherwise good players to fulfil their potential

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Took a little while to get used to the "right" way (weaker hand on top), but since your arms are already used to the basic mechanics of the strike, you will get into it after a bit of practice.

Weaker hand on top is the wrong way!!

just for clarity for the original poster.

if you are right handed you should have your right hand on top and catch the ball in your left.

for the time being no matter how frustrating it may be you should commit to doing it this way. you might be weak this year but that is better than being weak for ten years which is what will happen if you stick to the current style

Martin567 wrote: »
    Weaker hand on top is the wrong way!!

Here's the strike of the ball in absurd detail, you clearly see he throws it from his weaker ("non dominant") hand, then places the weak hand closer to the head of the hurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Here's the strike of the ball in absurd detail, you clearly see he throws it from his weaker ("non dominant") hand, then places the weak hand closer to the head of the hurl.

Your earlier post said that the correct grip was to have the "weak" hand at the TOP of the hurl. To my mind, the top of the hurl is the narrowest part. In your post above, you refer to the HEAD of the hurl by which I presume you mean the bas (the part that strikes the ball).

The video you attached above clearly shows the player with his strong hand (right) on the top of the hurl. Given that the OP was looking for advice, I think you should be careful not to confuse the issue further by using careless terminology!

Martin567 wrote: »
    Your earlier post said that the correct grip was to have the "weak" hand at the TOP of the hurl. To my mind, the top of the hurl is the narrowest part. In your post above, you refer to the HEAD of the hurl by which I presume you mean the bas (the part that strikes the ball).

The video you attached above clearly shows the player with his strong hand (right) on the top of the hurl. Given that the OP was looking for advice, I think you should be careful not to confuse the issue further by using careless terminology!

We're both saying the same thing so, just confusing our terminology. In my mind on top means closer to the head!

• Advertisement

We're both saying the same thing so, just confusing our terminology. In my mind on top means closer to the head!

i really don`t know what you are trying to do. your postings are utterly confusing.

the strikes in that video are being executed by a player who has a strong right hand. that right hand is on top of the hurley. he is catching the ball in his left hand and off both sides the same hand is on top of the hurley and the catching hand returnsns to the hurley below the strong hand

the kid that opened this topic looking for advice does not do that. he has his hands the other way around. he catchs the ball in his left hand and puts that hand at the top of the hurley when he throws it up.
    thats fine when you are striking off your right side but a disaster off your left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

OP - put the effort in to change, I won't happen overnight but it will in a short enough space of time and it will improve your striking and it will pay off. Go to a ball alley with your strong hand taped to the top of the Hurley or strapped to your wrist somehow.
    Make your coaches aware you are trying to change and some of your teammates you are friendly with, they can watch out for it and correct you when you subconsciously cross your hands to the wrong grip, bandage up your strong wrist, or wear a wristband or a glove on your strong hand, it will be a good visual aid to anyone looking on so they can pick up when you are switching hands

Don't carry on regardless - with practice you will 100% change

Slobbery wrote: »
    OP - put the effort in to change, I won't happen overnight but it will in a short enough space of time and it will improve your striking and it will pay off. Go to a ball alley with your strong hand taped to the top of the Hurley or strapped to your wrist somehow.
    Make your coaches aware you are trying to change and some of your teammates you are friendly with, they can watch out for it and correct you when you subconsciously cross your hands to the wrong grip, bandage up your strong wrist, or wear a wristband or a glove on your strong hand, it will be a good visual aid to anyone looking on so they can pick up when you are switching hands

Don't carry on regardless - with practice you will 100% change

there is a rubber strap you can buy that works for this

just incase people with this problem read this thread, I changed and now hold it the correct way.
    It didnt take long and now holding it the wrong way feels wrong and holding it the right way is easy. Just take advantage of a hurling wall!!

just incase people with this problem read this thread, I changed and now hold it the correct way.
    It didnt take long and now holding it the wrong way feels wrong and holding it the right way is easy. Just take advantage of a hurling wall!!
    Once you are committed to doing it there is no problem.
    Great credit due to you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Fair play.
    I've tried to change so many young lads and failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just thought I'd bring up this old thread.

I've recently taken charge of a group of juveniles and its amazing how many have the wrong grip. I've shown them the right way but many of them just won't do it as 'it doesn't feel right'? Do ye think its a bit much to make them stand out if they wont do it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

arctictree wrote: »
    Just thought I'd bring up this old thread.

I've recently taken charge of a group of juveniles and its amazing how many have the wrong grip. I've shown them the right way but many of them just won't do it as 'it doesn't feel right'? Do ye think its a bit much to make them stand out if they wont do it?!

Can't imagine it's that odd.

I didn't play a huge amount of hurling and only at Junior B level but when I started playing when I was young it naturally felt more right as a right handed person to hold the hurl in my right hand, catch the ball in my left hand and the left hand would be on top when striking the ball.

Regardless of it being the correct technique it is surely odd to hold the hurl in your left hand if you happen to be right handed unless you are told otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

What age?

I'll give you a few tricks to try change them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

What age?

I'll give you a few tricks to try change them

U8

Advertisement