Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trolls: Article

Options
  • 03-08-2006 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Found a nice article defining trolls and how to deal with them online!

I thought I'd post it as a lot of people post here asking "wtf is a troll?" and whatnot!

[Bush]Maybe it will help boardies become ever more vigilant to the threat that these intarweb terrorists pose to the democracy of the free world![/Bush]:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Trolls: The petulant two year olds of the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭keynesian

My thoughts exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Trolls are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Whats a troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

I recently introduced a friend to boards. He accurately pointed out that people troll in nearly every thread. Ruins the excellent site that is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

The OP's Link doesn't work :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Sorry, We Can't Find That Page

You might try retyping the URL, or searching below
    :(

I'm a sad Panda.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sangre wrote:
    Whats a troll?

They live under bridges and/or have a weird billy goat gruff fetish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I thought that was just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Thanks for posting up the description of a troll. Perhaps now people will stop being called a troll for differing in opinion to the majority/ an over opinionated mod.

Its ridiculous the amount of times on these boards that I see someone with the minority opinion labled a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

raido9 wrote:
    Thanks for posting up the description of a troll. Perhaps now people will stop being called a troll for differing in opinion to the majority/ an over opinionated mod.

Its ridiculous the amount of times on these boards that I see someone with the minority opinion labled a troll.
    Troll.

Troll.
    I was expecting that. But its true enough. It seems to me half the people who post on boards are a mod of some forum. Personally I don't think its the best way to run a forum. There are so so many threads locked/ moved/ deleted/ people banned for a period of time its ridiculous.

Alot of these mods are just looking for an excuse to flex their modding muscles and remind us who's in charge.

Most forums moderate themselves, a handful of global mods would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well Holy [insert Deity here]! Only one reply at the time of posting...then the link goes 404 and all of a sudden there are 14 replies...it's either a very strange world or you are all trolls*!

*i.e. anyone who disagrees with my point of view ;)

@ Aidan Walsh...Kudos to you sir, very AH**, very AH indeed :)

**No insult intended :)

@ raido9...what Aidan Walsh said! :D Nah, I love boards.ie, right level of moderation overall, occassional slip-up but we all have our off days. Mods are spot on 99.99% of the time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

r3nu4l wrote:
    Mods are spot on 99.99% of the time imo.
    Get banned once for trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

the_syco wrote:
    Get banned once for trolling?

hee hee
    /tempts fate: I've never been banned from any forum...yet :)

r3nu4l wrote:
    @ raido9...what Aidan Walsh said! :D Nah, I love boards.ie, right level of moderation overall, occassional slip-up but we all have our off days. Mods are spot on 99.99% of the time imo.
    I think the structure of boards has a mod of each board who has a massive interest in the forum he's modding. Which leads to these mods being very passionate and opinionated on their forums. It is great for discussions to have them there, as I find input from the mods is usually the best, but this doesn't make them great mods. Often their interest can affect their modding where they ban someone for disagreeing with them or locking threads left by someone who doesn't know alot about the subject and is posting useless posts in their forum (in their opinion).

Just my opinion. Modding should be kept to a minimum, deleting offensive posts and banning repeating offenders. Therefore they don't need to know anything about the subject being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yaaaawn..much ado about nothing.

• Advertisement

For example, just say I thought parkour was a load of balls (which I don't), and I had my reasons and wanted a bit of a discussion about it, do I post on the parkour forum?
    No point, my post will be deleted.

Do I post anywhere else?
    No point, my thread will be moved to the relevent forum or deleted.

What to do?

Yaaaawn..much ado about nothing.
    Yes because your input was much more enlightening. What is the point of posting that anyway. All you have to do is stop reading. The fact that you went to the effort of replying to say that says alot about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I think that the person who wrote about the motivations of a troll, has never actually talked to one. There is some truth to what he says, but I must disagree with alot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I dislike trolls as much as the next boardsie but
    Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse.
    anyone else think it sounds like that line from Terminator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

But seriously, anyone else hate travellers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think you'll find most of them live in their mothers basement and have a weird goatee beard fetish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

I don't get it. :(:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The OP's link didnt work, hmmm.

By focusing and defining trolls just draws attention to what otherwise should be something ignored. Whats a troll tho? lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"Troll, troll, troll your boat, gently down the stream..."

Advertisement