Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brain excercise

• 18-12-2006 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Basically i need something to get my brain working. My job is a piece of crap that involves no brian work at all and ive found myself becoming more and more stupid by the day ie. it seems my brain is dying.

Therefore i need something to excercise my brain. Any suggestions? And not computer games cos i have no intrest whatsoever in them!! it also has to be fun because im very easily bored!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"Many people make a hobby of trying to memorise as much of Pi as they can. The current record is held by Akira Haraguchi, who has memorised Pi to over 83 thousand digits."

http://www.brianbondy.com/other/pi.aspx

There you go, its brain excersize and its a challenge. Let us know when you reach 82 thousand.

Here's the first 10,000 to get you started.

http://www.brianbondy.com/articles/piDigits.txt

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Get yourself a Nintendo DS and a copy of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Here's the first 10,000 to get you started.

http://www.brianbondy.com/articles/piDigits.txt

How do we know that isn't the first 5 digits or so and then just random numbers? Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Get yourself a Nintendo DS and a copy of this
    I have doubts about whether Brain Training is based on good science. Try crosswords, sudoku, chess etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

download this http://www.bridgebuilder-game.com/ it got me through most of college and makes you think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

How do you play that game?I built a bridge what do I do now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

weedhead wrote:
    download this http://www.bridgebuilder-game.com/ it got me through most of college and makes you think

Great game!

Ive been playing it for years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In Puzzles and Quizzes there's stuff to keep you entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Sweet wrote:
    How do you play that game?I built a bridge what do I do now?

Click test in the top right corner and then run train, if the train makes it accros then yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Basically i need something to get my brain working. My job is a piece of crap that involves no brian work at all and ive found myself becoming more and more stupid by the day ie. it seems my brain is dying.

Therefore i need something to excercise my brain. Any suggestions? And not computer games cos i have no intrest whatsoever in them!! it also has to be fun because im very easily bored!

Roffles everyone ignored the no computer games part. What are you interested in then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Go to The Thunderdome, open up The Insult Thread and then spend the evening trying to decipher FlutterInBantams posts. He speaks a weird language which includes Babblish, Turdish and possibly bits of English.

Pighead spent all last week doing it and although it was one of the hardest things I've ever done I now know many weird and wonderful things and many of the worlds ancients secrets have been answered.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well what are your interests? You don't like games, fair enough, but there's some serious challenges to be had there. What about learning a new language or reading some of those uber nasty complex books like Ulysses, the best way to make your brain sharp is to learn something and understand it rather than just memorise things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Have a go at learning the piano - 10 fingers in action, reading 2 lines of music while keeping a beat in your head................... Not easy - but requires lots of concentration. You'll get a decent keyboard cheap on eBay. If a piano type instrument isn't your thing then maybe try some other instrument - guitar, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

crosstownk wrote:
    Have a go at learning the piano - 10 fingers in action, reading 2 lines of music while keeping a beat in your head................... Not easy - but requires lots of concentration. You'll get a decent keyboard cheap on eBay. If a piano type instrument isn't your thing then maybe try some other instrument - guitar, for example.

pfft piano:rolleyes: the violin is where its at!:p lolz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

weedhead wrote:

I love that game! I only got to lvl 14 or so... I'm gonna download it and play again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Kwekubo wrote:
    I have doubts about whether Brain Training is based on good science. Try crosswords, sudoku, chess etc.

from personal experience, it does work quite well. it also includes soduko on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

juliuspret wrote:
    Great game!

Ive been playing it for years!!!

I'm stuck on level 3... the train just shoots off the track which is at the edge of the screen. Any ideas?

:::Edit:::

they seem to be randomly generated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I'm stuck on level 3... the train just shoots off the track which is at the edge of the screen. Any ideas?

:::Edit:::

they seem to be randomly generated

If you can't see it fully, zoom out. (CTRL -)
    Zoom in is (CTRL +)

Great game played it ages ago, thanks for the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Your old Leaving Cert Maths book can be your best friend if you let it be. Seriously, best time passer ever and its wonderful exercise for the brain (isasmuch as such a thing exists)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

i find the Irish Times simplex and crosaire crosswords a great brain exercise. the crosaire can be very difficult but if you keep doing it and look at the solutions for the previous days you begin to get the idea.
    a friend of mine can do the crosaire completely in his head without writing one letter :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Yeah, and just last week I realkized the solution to one of the millenium problems in maths, but I didnt bother writing it down either....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Nehpets wrote:
    If you can't see it fully, zoom out. (CTRL -)
    Zoom in is (CTRL +)

Great game played it ages ago, thanks for the link.

Yeah, Thanks. I eventually found that the scroll button zooms does the same AND you can copy, paste and rotate :)

one of my early bridges manage a weight of 29500. Huzzah!

Damn this game. I'm going to be tired tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Learn good spelling, grammar and punctuation! I'm only being slightly facetious; learning anything at any age is the best medicine to prevent early brain (and brian :D ) death.

Advertisement