Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any idea on cost of putting 24 yr old on insurance?

• 19-09-2020 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Young fella passed theory test yesterday.

We gonna put him on wife’s car insurance on a 05 Beetle.

We currently with AA Insurance but won’t quote without a provisional license number which he hasn’t got as he now needs to apply for same.

He will also need to sit the 13 lessons.....which is also needs booking

So ... the bobs are adding up.

Any ideas of how much I am looking at to add him to policy.

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its 12 lessons not 13. Its hard to give an idea on how much it'll cost, it could be a simple admin fee, or a huge load on the policy. There's nothing for any of us to reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly before getting young fella insured you need to check when your policy is up for renewal and decide if you will renew for a full year. Ideally have a plan for lessons and a test date. Say aim for test in 6 months time. Check waiting lists for test. With covid they could be crazy. Find a good local instructor with time slots that work with son. If you use instructors car then you don't need insurance. First couple of lessons should be in instructors car due to dual controls and learning the basics. If learner is free weekends agree a plan of lessons ever week with a test date in mind.

If you feel having insurance on own car is necessary price it up, and compare to cost of using instructors car with instructors experience in the other seat and it frees up parents and associated family stress. Is there an adult that can give family lessons and can commit to the time?

Then get a quote from existing insurer to end of policy renewal, but note that many insurers have special learner deals, I know you should still shop around and the best savings to be had are if the person passes the test quickly. I know two people who passed the test 2 weeks after they drove for the first time, so often summer holidays are a good time to get insured, and go for test.

https://www.aviva.ie/lessons/driving-school/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The only people who can answer this are your insurers OP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Consider moving to Aviva at renewal: they have a package of lessons and insurance available on a oatents car for about €500.

Otherwise you're looking at 4 figures i reckon

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

galwaytt wrote: »
    Consider moving to Aviva at renewal: they have a package of lessons and insurance available on a oatents car for about €500.

Otherwise you're looking at 4 figures i reckon

Aviva say this offer is full and has a backlog of months. See the link above with a warning on top of page

• Advertisement
Advertisement