Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Affairs chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 foggyflies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

twitter is alight with women sharing their stories of sexual abuse in Ireland, naming names and revealing how the justice system protects abusers and silences the victims. any thread on this? The problem is way deeper than most people realize.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

There was, possibly it is still there.
    Best summary I could give of the prevailing mood when I dipped my toe in there was #don'tbelieveher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Best summary I could give of the prevailing mood when I dipped my toe in there was #don'tbelieveher[/QUOTE]

C'mon! Really?

#"Ibeliveher" was what was trending in that period of time.

I'm still at a loss as to why the actual female witness of the events of that night was ignored /not supported by other women.

TBF to you,which "Her" are you referring to? I don't want to jump the gun here. Maybe you are aghast at the Female witness (who said she saw no rape taking place ) being dismissed by those hash-tag warriors..

=Lucy8080;114067986]

C'mon! Really?

#"Ibeliveher" was what was trending in that period of time.

I'm still at a loss as to why the actual female witness of the events of that night was ignored /not supported by other women.

TBF to you,which "Her" are you referring to? I don't want to jump the gun here. Maybe you are aghast at the Female witness (who said she saw no rape taking place ) being dismissed by those hash-tag warriors..

I was referring to a thread on Boards.ie discussing a series of tweets where women wrote about being sexually harassed/abused on the Irish comedy circuit - this then broadened out as more and more women tweeted their experiences, and someone made a reference to an unnamed political figure.

The general theme in the Boards.ie thread when I looked in there was posters did not believe the tweets - hence #dontbelieveher.
    That theme may have changed - I don't know. I didn't go back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,119 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I was referring to a thread on Boards.ie discussing a series of tweets where women wrote about being sexually harassed/abused on the Irish comedy circuit - this then broadened out as more and more women tweeted their experiences, and someone made a reference to an unnamed political figure.

The general theme in the Boards.ie thread when I looked in there was posters did not believe the tweets - hence #dontbelieveher.

That is definitely a theme on here. Just look at some of the comments on Mairia Cahill this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Ahhh, okay! I thought your post was referring to twitter, so crossed wires there on my part,sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

12 posts in and no one has blamed the muslims, travellers, leftists, rightists (is that even a word?) Centrists, soros, the brits, the RA or whatsherface o'doherty.

I could get used to this

this sounds like exactly the type of left wing muslim apologist post that a centrist right wing British Soros shill shinner ra head Gemma supporter would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When 2 US astronauts undocked from the ISS in the SpaceX Dragon capsule this weekend and splashed down to Earth, they carried a US flag that had been brought up to the ISS in 2011, during the last mission of the Shuttle program, STS-135. The flag originally flew on STS-1, the first flight of the shuttle program on April 12, 1981. It's been up there for 9 years waiting for the day a US based mission would retrieve it. NASA at the moment hopes the flag's next relay stop will be the moon.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/spacex-cusp-winning-high-stakes-120400642.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Overheal wrote: »
    When 2 US astronauts undocked from the ISS in the SpaceX Dragon capsule this weekend and splashed down to Earth, they carried a US flag that had been brought up to the ISS in 2011, during the last mission of the Shuttle program, STS-135. The flag originally flew on STS-1, the first flight of the shuttle program on April 12, 1981. It's been up there for 9 years waiting for the day a US based mission would retrieve it. NASA at the moment hopes the flag's next relay stop will be the moon.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/spacex-cusp-winning-high-stakes-120400642.html

Some positive news for once in these crazy threads, thanks Overheal.

• Advertisement

2020 is quite something.

"2012" - ROFL

YVIYSNXBZEI6VAWYLZK5I7UQZI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anything to the rumours about Boris Johnson planning to retire in 6 months due to ongoing coronavirus related health issues? Let slip by Dominic Cumming's father apparently?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I heard rumours but nothing solid.
    From people that have had the virus they said it was incredibly draining and took ages to get your head right again.

Chadwick Bozeman, the Black Panther, dead at 43 from colon cancer he’s kept private since 2016.

Rest in Power brother.

biko wrote: »
    I heard rumours but nothing solid.
    From people that have had the virus they said it was incredibly draining and took ages to get your head right again.

First cousin of mine, a HCW, has on-going serious respiratory problems. She has been diagnosed with lung damage and it is considered unlikely she will be able to return to her physically demanding job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I see Murdoch has Kay Burley and Matt Hancock vibrantly debating Britain's Covid strategy this morning. I must admit it has been a while since Burley has been anchoring the red eye , seen her on since 7 this morning.

It looks like the push out of lockdown has just reached 3rd or 4th gear in the UK. The PR is being aggressively rolled out it seems. Burley is a melt, but she gets all the big jobs from Murdoch. It is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Can we please get a ignore thread option I can bet a busted kidney it will be used like crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Opens Door

*peaks in ...

Closes Door :pac:

Why is Kanye pissing on a Grammy and why is Twitter cool with that video staying up?

Know the difference :D

526617.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

^^^ that is funny yet true.

You (yes, you) owe it to yourself to watch South Park: The Pandemic Special

https://www.mrctv.org/videos/south-park-pandemic-special-president

Ladies, Gentlemen, one and all - 2020:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

^^^^^
    Eternal Flame. Very apt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Saw last night on the News John Le Carré passed away.
    Love his books.
    This year is going to need its own Reeling in the Years Special. C'mon 2021, it can only get better (have I jinxed it ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Where has the thread on the two women who got boobs jobs in Dubai gone to? Was it deleted by mods? If so, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Hogzy wrote: »
    Where has the thread on the two women who got boobs jobs in Dubai gone to? Was it deleted by mods? If so, why?
    I think there was two threads on that subject. Maybe they merged them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Hogzy wrote: »

Because its before the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Because its before the courts.

Jesus no wonder this forum is dying a death!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I was looking for an update as to where the thread disappeared to, but hard to keep abreast of news developments.

Advertisement