Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why does obesity impact the poor more than the well off?

Options
  • 20-09-2020 8:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21

I never understood this. It costs more to eat unhealthily in Ireland and this seems like a very strange phenomenon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I never understood this. It costs more to eat unhealthily in Ireland and this seems like a very strange phenomenon.

Eating unhealthy isn't more expensive. White bread, frozen chips, crisps snacks. I don't know what unhealthy poor peope eat exactly, but I would bet you it's cheaper and easier than Fresh veg and cooking your own means from scratch. But I'd say here is an economy of scale that comes with cooking food from scratch. As long as you can cook different things to use up whatever you have and don't waste anything.

Then there's the fact that you need to be educated in what's healthy, how to cook it and how to source it. Sourcing a range of fresh food means buying little and often as lots of veg don't freeze like convenience food so a car helps.

Then there's the fact that being fat in middle class is more frowned upon than in the working class and it doesn't seem to be much of a problem at all in benefits class. So there's a social pressure to not be fat in middle class.

For example, if a TV show wants to make quickly show that a character is stupid or uneducated they will usually make them fat and dishevelled because it's an instant marker of a stupid person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

didnt think it was frowned upon to be overweight amongst any segment of the population here , such is the extent of the problem across the board ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Poor lifestyle chooses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Same reason poorer areas tend to be high in littering

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Not a Current Affairs issue really, closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement