Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I see #golfgate is trending on Twitter this morning, Brian Hayes seems to be in the firing line now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭jm08

This was a shít idea wasn't it, looking back with the wisdom of time?

Pity he isn't EU Trade Commissioner now having a word with Boris and Co. It would not be as easy to dismiss Hogan as the British media are doing with Barnier and Sefcovic.

jm08 wrote: »
    Pity he isn't EU Trade Commissioner now having a word with Boris and Co. It would not be as easy to dismiss Hogan as the British media are doing with Barnier and Sefcovic.

And you seriously believe Boris gives a flying fig about what anyone thinks. Apart from Dom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭jm08

And you seriously believe Boris gives a flying fig about what anyone thinks. Apart from Dom.

He obviously thinks a lot of the British public and hence all this drama!

He obviously thinks a lot of the British public and hence all this drama!

In my opinion, Boris thinks about one thing - Boris

Therefore, he thinks about how Boris can stay in power. And the puppeteer pulls the strings of Boris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Do you really think the British media gave a crap about Hogan? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

elperello wrote: »
    The first link is to Tony Connelly on what PH might have been trying to say.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1298965047000039424

Second link is to the clip itself.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5828791/phil-hogan-gardai-wouldnt-stopped-him-phone-politician/

Not taking sides but there does appear to be a case for thinking he misspoke.

Have a look/listen and see what you think.

Listening to that, it sounds like he is refuting the idea that the Gardaí wouldn't have stopped him if they'd known who he was.
    It sounds like to me he is saying the Gardaí stopped him and did their job regardless of who he was, and he is commending them on doing their job well.

To be fair to Phil here, he was being willfully misunderstood by people quick to pillory him.

By far the more serious issue I would rather see pursued is why do we have laws for handling phones while driving if the Gardaí are inclined to overlook indiscretions here and there.

It should be the same for every driver, I think that is a fairly unanimous opinion of the public as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

He resigned lads. He wont do it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Listening to that, it sounds like he is refuting the idea that the Gardaí wouldn't have stopped him if they'd known who he was.
    It sounds like to me he is saying the Gardaí stopped him and did their job regardless of who he was, and he is commending them on doing their job well.

To be fair to Phil here, he was being willfully misunderstood by people quick to pillory him.

By far the more serious issue I would rather see pursued is why do we have laws for handling phones while driving if the Gardaí are inclined to overlook indiscretions here and there.

It should be the same for every driver, I think that is a fairly unanimous opinion of the public as far as I can tell.

I'm surprised how little discussion there was about what PH really said or meant to say.

Can't see him being stupid enough to intentionally have said that the guards wouldn't have touched him if they knew he was a commissioner.

As for Garda discretion that's another matter.

I suppose we all support it when we benefit from being let off and condemn it when someone we don't like is the beneficiary.

Pelezico wrote: »
    He resigned lads. He wont do it twice.

Fair comment.

I suppose we are just picking the bones at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Looking at how judge Seamus Woulfe has managed to avoid resignation and the obvious disregard for the distancing rules at RTÉ I have to say that I am of the opinion that the treatment of Phil Hogan in all of this was wrong.

I remember thinking at the time that forcing his resignation was more about his personality and how he came across in the media coloured how people perceived him than the actual details of what he did or didn’t know and the effects of a resignation on his job and ability to bounce back.

You could say that RTÉ personnel are private citizens but RTÉ is the national broadcaster and paid over and above the norms to set those standards and bring those not meeting them to task.

Even looking at how Leo Varadkar managed to get out of his controversy in recent weeks and Michael Martin defended him. Leo and Martin made not one but two statements against Phil Hogan, the second one when Ursula Von Der Leyen was considering the details - they essentially pulled the rug from under her and didn’t allow her make a proper balanced assessment of the issue. I would imagine that Ursula was none too impressed by Michael and Martin jumping the gun and it prob didn’t help us in getting the new role for Mairead McGuinness.

jimd2 wrote: »
    Looking at how judge Seamus Woulfe has managed to avoid resignation and the obvious disregard for the distancing rules at RTÉ I have to say that I am of the opinion that the treatment of Phil Hogan in all of this was wrong.

I remember thinking at the time that forcing his resignation was more about his personality and how he came across in the media coloured how people perceived him than the actual details of what he did or didn’t know and the effects of a resignation on his job and ability to bounce back.

You could say that RTÉ personnel are private citizens but RTÉ is the national broadcaster and paid over and above the norms to set those standards and bring those not meeting them to task.

Even looking at how Leo Varadkar managed to get out of his controversy in recent weeks and Michael Martin defended him. Leo and Martin made not one but two statements against Phil Hogan, the second one when Ursula Von Der Leyen was considering the details - they essentially pulled the rug from under her and didn’t allow her make a proper balanced assessment of the issue. I would imagine that Ursula was none too impressed by Michael and Martin jumping the gun and it prob didn’t help us in getting the new role for Mairead McGuinness.

I couldn't agree more! I said it at the time too, a huge over reaction and a huge loss having an Irish EU Commissioner fired! The hysterical overreaction to everything is embarassing at this stage. Looking back on what happened at GolfGate when you see Seamus Wolfe is safe to continue on with his high profile job, likewise RTE presenters (who preach at us every day and continue to assist the scaremongering), I would be mighty angry if I was Phil Hogan.

I am not a fan of Phil Hogan at all, I also think the curtain twitching and daily headlines of young people drinking, RTE staff at a good bye bash, people at funerals etc is all over the top. Reporting and tweeting on people who are breaking the rules is done to death at this stage, passe, over.
    It should have always been like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

I couldn't agree more! I said it at the time too, a huge over reaction and a huge loss having an Irish EU Commissioner fired! The hysterical overreaction to everything is embarassing at this stage. Looking back on what happened at GolfGate when you see Seamus Wolfe is safe to continue on with his high profile job, likewise RTE presenters (who preach at us every day and continue to assist the scaremongering), I would be mighty angry if I was Phil Hogan.

I am not a fan of Phil Hogan at all, I also think the curtain twitching and daily headlines of young people drinking, RTE staff at a good bye bash, people at funerals etc is all over the top. Reporting and tweeting on people who are breaking the rules is done to death at this stage, passe, over.
    It should have always been like this.

Get used to it, it is now the politics of Ireland. THe mantra now is keep the idiot with the loud voice happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I think Woulfe should go. He clearly has terrible judgment. Both in his initial mistake at the golf pissup and his subsequent comments afterwards. Him describing his treatment to that of victims of the KKK was beyond offensive. I also think the manner in which he was parachuted into the position by FG is alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

smurgen wrote: »
    I think Woulfe should go. He clearly has terrible judgment. Both in his initial mistake at the golf pissup and his subsequent comments afterwards. Him describing his treatment to that of victims of the KKK was beyond offensive. I also think the manner in which he was parachuted into the position by FG is alarming.

Political appointees to the judiciary is all old as the state itself, it shouldnt happen but every governemt has done it, including the holier than thou types

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Bambi wrote: »
    Political appointees to the judiciary is all old as the state itself, it shouldnt happen but every governemt has done it, including the holier than thou types

Ya I think you're correct. It shouldn't happen.should be changed ASAP. It's been abused and is no longer fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jimd2 wrote: »

This is quite the re-writing of history, Hogans resignation had absolutely nothing to do with his personality or how he is perceived by the public in Ireland. As an EU Commissioner Hogan wasnt even accountable to the Irish public so their opinion didnt matter a jot. He lied to the Taoiseach and the Tanaiste and he lied to his boss Ursula von der Leyen. When given several opportunities to tell the truth he lied some more. He got caught out in these lies and eventually von der Leyen no longer had confidence in him and that was that, at no point was she ever taking Irish public opinion into account.

Tell me, in what occupation could you tell bare faced lies to your boss and get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Tell me, in what occupation could you tell bare faced lies to your boss and get away with it?

Very true. Unfortunately for Hogan he is/was 'only' a high level politican/EU civil servant. Judges seem to be accountable to no one really once appointed (edit: I suppose unless they do something absolutely egregious.)
    As I recall it took a referendum just to cut their pay in line with every other public servant!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

It was pure hysteria and the great unwashed loved their power...indeed they were intoxicated by it. Fair play to Seamus for refusing to be shafted by the Chief Justice who tried to do a number on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I said years ago on Boards threads that there should be no political say on who gets to be Garda Commissioners, Judges and Army Chiefs.

Over the last few years I’ve been proven right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I said years ago on Boards threads that there should be no political say on who gets to be Garda Commissioners, Judges and Army Chiefs.

Over the last few years I’ve been proven right.

Yes in 100 years as a State, we have had an excellent judiciary and police force. Look elsewhere and we shine. Not perfect but we are not too bad. So all in all, I don’t personally believe you have been proven right.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

I for one want him gone.

I think he's gone now, tail firmly wedged beneath the scrotal sack, if he has one left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I see this asshole wants some compensation., Greedy scumbag cúnt

I'll be interested to see more detail of his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That won't work for him. He resigned did he not. Even if the golfgate hotel event is now not proved illegal, Hogan was caught out breaking the covid regs at the time. He travelled here there and everywhere for no valid reason during the strict lockdown.

I hope he loses his shirt seeking compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

The arrogance and greed of fine gael personified

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

May not ever come to a case.

Could be more about getting even with those who pushed him off the plank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Trickle Hogan is 100% guilty in the court of public opinion. Nobody believes the web of lies surrounding his tour of Ireland during restrictions. He should just shut up and move on.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

These people don't care. He'll probably get a few bob off the tax payer and they'll sign off just to get rid.

Advertisement