Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

“Im not great at supervising my kid so we shouldn't have cars go by” , sound logic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,300 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

“Im not great at supervising my kid so we shouldn't have cars go by” , sound logic there.

You can supervise all you like, but that doesn't remove the pollution from the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I have to say I am desperately desperately disappointed that the council has bowed to the petrolheads on this issue.

Its a matter of public safety, they dont go through due process, its just so wrong......

It's still very slow, really. Not as bad as a mere 18 mph in old money, but not a whole pile better.

How long is the average car journey in DUblin? 3k? 5k?

We arent talking about driving to Malin Head here......this is something that will slow down a typical journey by 2 or 3 minutes. Major fuppin inconvenince, no?

Against that it will save lives.

Actually forget that, we might lose a few votes, lets not inconvenience people.

Its absolutely appalling what they have done here.

• Advertisement

If people actually looked before they stepped out, run out, cycle out etc a lot of deaths would be avoided....
    Implementation of laws already there and say around schools especially.

Kids have no place on roads and should be supervised at all times, seen as this is why this all started, extremely sad of course but eventually the way things are going it will be quicker to walk, cycle but this doesn't suit everyone and isn't always practical.

With all the new measures brought in under covid and changing of light sequence the traffic stop starting is worse then ever which creates more pollution.

a typically appalling driver perspective, these accidents are nothing to do with me.....so I'll carry on breaking the speed limit (all drivers do it, bar none), using my phone while driving, check the tyres once in a blue moon, routinely break lights, routinely park on footpaths ...

Those bloody pedestrians though:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

talk about missing the point by a country mile?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    a typically appalling driver perspective, these accidents are nothing to do with me.....so I'll carry on breaking the speed limit (all drivers do it, bar none), using my phone while driving, check the tyres once in a blue moon, routinely break lights, routinely park on footpaths ...

Those bloody pedestrians though:rolleyes:

Take it you're not a driver? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

SC024 wrote: »
    kind of proves my point no ? look left look right look left & listen ?

What are the odds that I'd come across this.

If you must know: I got the green, began to cross, van had just come around the corner was approaching the crossing SLOWLY. Assumed they were driving up to the intersection to wait.

He wasn't looking. He then accelerated into me.

I looked both ways. I crossed when permitted. I knew the vehicle was there. I didn't and could not know that he was planning to accelerate into me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Listen up smartie pants, I have said time and time again that I think the 30km/h is a good idea in housing estates, but that it's virtually impossible to expect somebody to hold at 30kh/h on the open road for any length of time.
    but why? It's not virtually anything. It's possible. Anyone who can't needs to reassess their ability to drive and their impulse control.
    Accept defeat and acknowledge it.
    You confuse impossible with unlikely bar enforcement. And that's the bottom line. It's easy but people, like yourself, won't do it unless there is a realistic chance of enforcement. Which by the way, is also easy.
    He said it is not realistic to expect drivers to keep to a 30km limit on these roads.
    and without enforcement he is sadly right as apparently some have no ability to drive or have any self control.
    What are the odds that I'd come across this.

If you must know: I got the green, began to cross, van had just come around the corner was approaching the crossing SLOWLY. Assumed they were driving up to the intersection to wait.

He wasn't looking. He then accelerated into me.

I looked both ways. I crossed when permitted. I knew the vehicle was there. I didn't and could not know that he was planning to accelerate into me.
    Happens all the time outside my son's school were cars slow and then suddenly accelerate through the red. It so far has been pure luck that no deaths have occurred (there have been collisions). The likes of hamsterchops and SCO24 will blame a child for crossing on green after seeing a car slow rather than the driver. It's bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

CramCycle wrote: »
    The likes of hamsterchops and SCO24 will blame a child for crossing on green after seeing a car slow rather than the driver. It's bizarre.

:cool:

Not sure what that means, or what it's based on.

:cool:

Not sure what that means, or what it's based on.

My apologies, it was actually punisher5112 I meant to refer to but mixed up the posts. Sorry, my bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I have to say I am desperately desperately disappointed that the council has bowed to the petrolheads on this issue.

Its a matter of public safety, they dont go through due process, its just so wrong......

Can you outline under what circumstance a pedestrian is liable to be killed or seriously injured by a car travelling at 50 while crossing the road, without said pedestrian not having completely abdicated their own responsibility of sensible road usage?

You know, the safe cross code. That thing most of us learn in school before the alphabet and addition tables, yet 30 plus years later we have idiots who don't even look left and right before crossing a road, or start to cross a road but don't bother continously looking left and right as they do so as they assume the conditions remain static.

Why should we have to slow down for these idiots?

Or some muppet cyclist with headphones on scrolling through his Spotify as he weaves through lanes on Amien St?

Why does my life have to be impacted to preserve the lives of idiots?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can you outline under what circumstance a pedestrian is liable to be killed or seriously injured by a car travelling at 50 while crossing the road, without said pedestrian not having completely abdicated their own responsibility of sensible road usage?

You know, the safe cross code. That thing most of us learn in school before the alphabet and addition tables, yet 30 plus years later we have idiots who don't even look left and right before crossing a road, or start to cross a road but don't bother continously looking left and right as they do so as they assume the conditions remain static.

Why should we have to slow down for these idiots?

Or some muppet cyclist with headphones on scrolling through his Spotify as he weaves through lanes on Amien St?

Why does my life have to be impacted to preserve the lives of idiots?
    Why do people's lives need to be impacted by a minority driving cars?

Why do people's lives need to be impacted by a minority driving cars?

So you believe the solution to ignorant pedestrian/ cyclist behavior is by penalising responsible motorists.

Veering a bit into the territory of "if those women dressed more modestly they wouldn't have been attacked" vibe we saw after all those New Year sexual assaults in Germany.

Why should I spend extra minutes on my commute because some clown can't follow rules on road crossing that are taught to 5 year olds?

You are completely ignoring the point.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for a pedestrian crossing a road in a responsible manner to be hit by a vehicle travelling at 50 on the vast majority of Dublin roads.

I'd sooner the drivers running lights or on their phones would be travelling slower than 30kmph. Not sure of your experience of the city centre but those two caveats cover quite a large number of motorists. Thankfully most pedestrians look as otherwise there would be a huge number of peds hit every day when they have right of way with a green man.

I'd sooner the drivers running lights or on their phones would be travelling slower than 30kmph. .

You think the percentage of motorists who text/ read their phone while in motion is higher than the percentage of cyclists who do this? (usually with Dr Dre beats knock offs on their ears)

That's some good trollin'.

You think the percentage of motorists who text/ read their phone while in motion is higher than the percentage of cyclists who do this? (usually with Dr Dre beats knock offs on their ears)

That's some good trollin'.

Polls have motorists (who admit too it) at 67% using phones while driving. Other studies have 98% of drivers have knowingly break the speed limit.
    I'd be surprised if 1% of cyclist own headphones like that, let alone wear them while cycling (and I know it happens).

A tip for you though, play the post not the poster. If you can't discuss the point then cheap "trolling" comments make it sound like you don't have a valid retort

Polls have motorists (who admit too it) at 67% using phones while driving. Other studies have 98% of drivers have knowingly break the speed limit.
    I'd be surprised if 1% of cyclist own headphones like that, let alone wear them while cycling (and I know it happens).

A tip for you though, play the post not the poster. If you can't discuss the point then cheap "trolling" comments make it sound like you don't have a valid retort

A good 80 plus percent of Dublin cyclists wear earphones. As someone who frequently parks in one of the few remaining free pockets of parking in town and then Dublin Bikes it the rest of the way I can tell you anybody listening to earphones while cycling has a ****ing death wish and deserves anything they get.

And no, I've never used my phone while driving. I don't like talking on a phone on the bus ever mind while driving.

A good 80 plus percent of Dublin cyclists wear earphones.
    Have you a source that might verify your claim or is this simply a poor attempt at trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,689 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A good 80 plus percent of Dublin cyclists wear earphones. As someone who frequently parks in one of the few remaining free pockets of parking in town and then Dublin Bikes it the rest of the way I can tell you anybody listening to earphones while cycling has a ****ing death wish and deserves anything they get.

And no, I've never used my phone while driving. I don't like talking on a phone on the bus ever mind while driving.

I wear headphones on the bike all the time. What's the problem?
    Why am I bothering, your account will be banned any minute now.

Why am I bothering, your account will be banned any minute now.
    I presume doublejobbing2's problem with people on bikes wearing headphones is that it affects doublejobbing2's ability to steer the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm actually staggered reading this. 30km limits on ****ing dual carriageways like Malahide Rd.
    I'm actually struggling to think how anybody can think 30kph on the Clontarf Rd is an acceptable scenario.
    I'm speechless.

Emigrate at the first opportunity, it's the only viable long term solution.

Bam car radios and make it compulsory for all cars to drive with their windows down. Simples, next case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I presume doublejobbing2's problem with people on bikes wearing headphones is that it affects doublejobbing2's ability to steer the car.

It perhaps if doublejobbing2 is beeping for those pesky cyclists to get out of their way no one will hear him.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It perhaps if doublejobbing2 is beeping for those pesky cyclists to get out of their way no one will hear him.
    I got the impression that doublejobbing2 wouldn't wait for a cyclist to move out of the way and would be the type that just barges past a vulnerable road user because they incorrectly think they are important. The kind that we frequently record on video and report to the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭mvt

Have to say that being a cyclist makes me a better driver & that being a driver makes me a better cyclist.

Also have to say as a daily cyclist, in Dublin, I do take notice of other cyclists texting on the go because you don't see it that often.

On the other hand drivers texting whilst in a moving vehicle happens so often that you really don't think of it as unusual.

Always easier to see into a car from a bike than another car.

As someone who both drives and cycles I am fully aware of how dangerous and thick ignorant it is. If you can't hear all around you you are a danger to yourself and others.

Let me hazard a guess. You're one of the majority of cyclists who never glances back when they pull into traffic/ switch lanes as you're fully confident the motorist will just slam on the brakes rather than go through the inconvenience of hitting you.

Cyclists should be subject to licences and points.

Would they apply to kids too?
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

As someone who both drives and cycles I am fully aware of how dangerous and thick ignorant it is. If you can't hear all around you you are a danger to yourself and others.

Let me hazard a guess. You're one of the majority of cyclists who never glances back when they pull into traffic/ switch lanes as you're fully confident the motorist will just slam on the brakes rather than go through the inconvenience of hitting you.

I am going to make one assumption and one claim. First, that you don't cycle regularly or at all. The next is that if your claim about the majority of cyclists was even remotely true, the roads would be awash with corpses and injured bodies. It's a fictitious claim. Sure some do, but the majority, really. Any chance you could stick to something even remotely based in reality, rather than extrapolating from a few anecdotes where I suspect you only notice those you want to remember to suit your truly bizarre narrative.

Advertisement