Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gender Reveal Parties?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭normanoffside

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

There are some really funny videos on FB of the reveals gone wrong, though.
    The best ones I’ve seen are the ones where a child accidentally bursts the balloon unexpectedly before the ‘reveal’ or the balloon floats away before they can pop it :pac:

Have seen lots of reveal videos where the young sibling(s) of the impending baby ending up getting upset that the baby isn’t their preferred gender.

Kids that age don’t understand the concept of not being able to choose the gender, and end up crying cause they aren’t getting a little brother/sister like they wanted.
    I think it’s really unfair to video the reactions, let alone upload them to the internet for other people to judge and laugh at.
    They too little to even understand what’s going on properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Stupid and tacky imo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I think it’s really unfair to video the reactions, let alone upload them to the internet for other people to judge and laugh at.

If they think it’s a good idea to enter into this sort of caper they should be judged, laughed at, shamed... repeatedly... sort of cûnts who’d throw a party to celebrate their dog being gay because it sniffed a poodles arse or they bought a new kettle... legalize euthanasia for them please....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Sooo ... are we concerned that it should not be called gender reveal but instead sex reveal ? - I am sure there is some PC reason why calling it gender reveal was preferred to begin with, before the leftists brigade started complaining.
    But I think it's ok if some ppl want to celebrate milestones I wouldn't - like this one, or vows renewal.
    Then, thinking at the number of pregnancies that can end up bad even after the fetus's sex is known, some parents won't get to celebrate alot for/with their baby, why take it away from them. In general, I would be on the pregnant woman's side: if it makes her happy, she should be allowed to have it.
    The criticism coming from peeps with degrees/interests in gender studies ... eh, that is newer to me. And I would simply reply to it with eff off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

We had a wasp factory themed gender reveal party.

We had a wasp factory themed gender reveal party.
    (Not really.)

Sometimes men lose the ability to father boys as they get older. (Interesting bit of trivia with no point being argued.)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

cock = Male
    fanny = Female

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Quite literally revealing a c-unt.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I was at a name reveal party a few months ago.

The same girl expected gifts at her gender reveal, and then text everyone the next day looking for receipts to returns the items in neutral colours (as guests obviously didn't know the gender prior to the big reveal, everyone just bought white stuff) so that she could swap them for pink/girly colours :pac:

A name reveal party?! That's a new one to me - is that literally having friends around after your baby is born and announcing their name?

And this girl had separate parties for the gender reveal and the name reveal, and expected gifts at both?

I think it is a lot to assume that everyone else cares as much as you do about what you're naming your child or what gender they are, apart from your immediate family perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

topper75 wrote: »
    Has social media played a part in creating this narcissism or was it always there hidden and social media merely revealed the extent of it?

Narcissism has always existed, social media simply enables it to a greater extent. Popularizes it too..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Scarinae wrote: »
    A name reveal party?! That's a new one to me - is that literally having friends around after your baby is born and announcing their name?

And this girl had separate parties for the gender reveal and the name reveal, and expected gifts at both?

I think it is a lot to assume that everyone else cares as much as you do about what you're naming your child or what gender they are, apart from your immediate family perhaps.

No, it was held prior to the birth of the baby.
    The mam-to-be held a party where she announced the name of her impending child via icing on a three tier cake :pac:

She had already held parties for the gender reveal and the baby shower, I couldn't afford to bring another gift (knowing she'd also be expecting one after the birth and for the Christening) so I just brought some homemade scones, which she wasn't remotely impressed by.
    Most people brought nothing cause they didn't know what to gift someone for announcing the name of their unborn child.

Everyone just told her it was a nice name and left shortly after, nobody hung around for the food or "party" which she was extremely annoyed over...But she did it have it on Easter Sunday so people were busy with their own plans & their families.
    It was just weird. Hope I'm never invited to one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The mam-to-be held a party where she announced the name of her impending child via icing on a three tier cake :pac:

She had already held parties for the gender reveal and the baby shower, I couldn't afford to bring another gift (knowing she'd also be expecting one after the birth and for the Christening) so I just brought some homemade scones, which she wasn't remotely impressed by.
    Most people brought nothing cause they didn't know what to gift someone for announcing the name of their unborn child.

Everyone just told her it was a nice name and left shortly after, nobody hung around for the food or "party" which she was extremely annoyed over...But she did it have it on Easter Sunday so people were busy with their own plans & their families.
    I'd love to but ... seems to me to be the right response here. If it's a good relationship it'll survive.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

bluewolf wrote: »
    Some american lark. Heard of a couple over here but hopefully not catching on

Unfortunately they are. Gender reveal parties are to me just a gift grabbing exercise. Same with bridal or baby showers. You get presents on the actual event, you shouldn't expect more from people before the event as well.

The only baby shower idea that I could ever remotely agree with was one that a boards user mentioned in parenting that she attended. Guests were not allowed bring any other presents except a copy of your favourite childhood book for the child. Expectant mother was a teacher I think. It's a lovely thing sharing your favourite book with someone and them loving it too but introducing a kid to a book that you loved when you were their age and they get that joy that you had is a really lovely feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I don't see any difference between an engagement party and a baby shower. They're both parties before the main event - another excuse to get presents off people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Neyite wrote: »
    Unfortunately they are. Gender reveal parties are to me just a gift grabbing exercise. Same with bridal or baby showers. You get presents on the actual event, you shouldn't expect more from people before the event as well.

The only baby shower idea that I could ever remotely agree with was one that a boards user mentioned in parenting that she attended. Guests were not allowed bring any other presents except a copy of your favourite childhood book for the child. Expectant mother was a teacher I think. It's a lovely thing sharing your favourite book with someone and them loving it too but introducing a kid to a book that you loved when you were their age and they get that joy that you had is a really lovely feeling.

yeah, they all sound like gift grabbing things.

a name party i would have understood as a sort of non christening alternative - but not prior to the main event!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Best time to reveal the gender is after the birth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

If gender is a concept they can change the concept later on if it is a biologically driven imperitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

If **** like this is something that riles people up the world is in a great place..

Nothing important to worry about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Jaysus that's grim.

One event marking the occasion (whether christening or before or after get together) is loads. And people visit independently of that, bringing gifts also.

Some people are astounding in their lack of shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Jaysus that's grim.

One event marking the occasion (whether christening or before or after get together) is loads. And people visit independently of that, bringing gifts also.

Some people are astounding in their lack of shame.

I think it's more ego than lack of shame

By all means have a party, either gender reveal, naming or christening as you prefer, but the screams of someone who just wants the attention.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Do what I do and start sending cards like these, you won't get invited to anything!

58ba35ec1a00003400f418e7.jpeg?ops=scalefit_960_noupscale

il_570xN.1436108440_nco3_large.jpg

On topic, if someone invited me to one of these, I wouldn't even respond. Lucky if I go to the christening, not a hope I'd go to anything else. but most people who know me know I don't like kids, so wouldn't invite me anyway. Must be saving a fortune I must!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

Homemade 'pipe bomb' caused accidental death at gender-reveal party

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/oct/29/homemade-pipe-bomb-caused-accidental-death-at-gender-reveal-party

Authorities say an Iowa family’s attempt at a gender reveal party went horribly wrong when a homemade device that was meant to discharge coloured powder instead exploded like a pipe bomb, killing a 56-year-old woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

A plane that crashed in Texas in September was flying “too slow” as part of a gender reveal Stunt.

https://www.thejournal.ie/gender-reveal-plane-crash-4885540-Nov2019/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

biko wrote: »
    I don't know why the gender would be such a big deal. Is it so people know what clothes to get them?
    They will be wearing hand-me-downs anyway.

#recycle/reuse/cheapbastard
    It's not a big deal. It's entirely possible to tell people if you're having a girl or boy without having to have a big party. They do it for attention. I get that having a baby is exciting for the parents, especially if it's the first but it's really not a big deal to everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I was at a name reveal party a few months ago.

The same girl expected gifts at her gender reveal, and then text everyone the next day looking for receipts to returns the items in neutral colours (as guests obviously didn't know the gender prior to the big reveal, everyone just bought white stuff) so that she could swap them for pink/girly colours :pac:
    I remember when you posted about that. The audacity of her is/was unbelievable :pac:

Advertisement