Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭squinn2912

walshb wrote: »
    And I don’t see the likes of AJ or Wilder, with their height and size and range having too much difficulty getting to Usyk, both from long and mid range..

I could see even Whyte, Povetkin or pulev giving him his fill of it

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I could see even Whyte, Povetkin or pulev giving him his fill of it

Yeh, possibly..AP looks well past it, though..

Two convicted drugs cheats. Throw in Fury, and Ring top ten has 3 dopers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Speaking of dopers what’s the story with Whyte?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yeh, possibly..AP looks well past it, though..

Two convicted drugs cheats. Throw in Fury, and Ring top ten has 3 dopers...

3 convicted dopers.... bleak isn’t it? Problem in most individual and combat sports. Look at the sprinters

Speaking of dopers what’s the story with Whyte?

Waiting for UKAD to complete its investigations/case....

I have no clue on the B sample.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The Nal wrote: »
    Good interview.

Good reminder. Had just a finished the Lennox Lewis one from a few months back, which was good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Waiting for UKAD to complete its investigations/case....

Waiting for UKAD to give up/run out of funds.

Just to show what a Hypocrite Eddie Hearn is, he dismisses Spong's excuse but used the exact same one for Dillian Whyte.

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/1183041309851947008

And Frank Warren the same. He castigated Whyte, yet conveniently forgets about Fury...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Anyone else here think a prime Vitalli handles all the current heavys easily? Same goes for Wlad as boring as they could be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Anyone else here think a prime Vitalli handles all the current heavys easily? Same goes for Wlad as boring as they could be.

It’s hard to say. With the exception of Lewis they’d probably be his best challengers.

Yes. Vitali goes through them with ease...KOs all..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Vitali with ease ? really ?

Vitali was good but Ko them all with ease is a bit much , Del boy , Briggs Johnson, Hoffman, all went 12 rounds with Vitali ,Christ Chris Byrd beat him, To say he'd ko the current crop with ease is nonsense,

Don't get me wrong hes very a good fighter but he wouldn't roll over any of todays top 5 with ease even in his prime they would be good hard fights ,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's always easy to say it in hindsight though.

Reality is that if Vlad had retired in 2014 then we'd be saying the same thing about him that he'd take the current crop easily.

Nobody wound have thought that Fury could school him in his own back yard.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

squinn2912 wrote: »
    3 convicted dopers.... bleak isn’t it? Problem in most individual and combat sports. Look at the sprinters

Every strength sport

Many think no olympic gold weightlifter has been clean for 40 years

Big baby miller at 320lbs vs Adamek was an eye opener to me

Sure he carried some fat, but take away some and he was 250lbs+ of muscle underneath that layer of fat, that's some size/power

It's always easy to say it in hindsight though.

Reality is that if Vlad had retired in 2014 then we'd be saying the same thing about him that he'd take the current crop easily.

Nobody wound have thought that Fury could school him in his own back yard.

Meh Wlad was ancient at that stage doesn't change my opinion on him tbh, few years earlier and he would have walked through Fury. If you think he schooled him you should watch that fight.

Vitali was good but Ko them all with ease is a bit much , Del boy , Briggs Johnson, Hoffman, all went 12 rounds with Vitali ,Christ Chris Byrd beat him, To say he'd ko the current crop with ease is nonsense,

Don't get me wrong hes very a good fighter but he wouldn't roll over any of todays top 5 with ease even in his prime they would be good hard fights ,
    Reads like you just read his record on Wikipedia and made your mind up, he fought all those blokes at the death of his career so has nothing to with a prime Vitalli (even though he still handled them all) and everyone knows what happened in the Byrd fight

Meh Wlad was ancient at that stage doesn't change my opinion on him tbh, few years earlier and he would have walked through Fury. If you think he schooled him you should watch that fight.

Styles make fights there is no time that Wlad would have walked through Fury, Fury said for a long time his size and movement would make him beat Wlad and he was right,

He couldn't work Fury out at all and that wouldn't have changed ,Fury done what Fury does ...enough to win ,

In a rematch Wlad would have had to go for broke and god knows what would happen but he'd lost every time they fought first if you get me,

Yeah, I think Vitali is retrospectively over rated. Don't get me wrong, he was a very good fighter and probably the best of his little 10 year spell after Lewis but he was very injury prone and didn't have the 1 punch knockout power of Wlad.
    Del Boy gave him a tough fight and he didn't dominate.

Yeah, I think Vitali is retrospectively over rated. Don't get me wrong, he was a very good fighter and probably the best of his little 10 year spell after Lewis but he was very injury prone and didn't have the 1 punch knockout power of Wlad.
    Del Boy gave him a tough fight and he didn't dominate.

People look back at him and over rate him, Although he was one of the best fighter of his "TIME" which was a pretty bad time for heavy weights,

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately for him he didn't fight any really big names bar Lewis , even then we didn't get to see the full fight,

Also don't forget that was Lewis last fight and him at the end of his days ,

• Advertisement

Although he was one of the best fighter of his "TIME" which was a pretty bad time for heavy weights,

Yeah the names on his record Post Lewis are a sad indictment of the time.

Kevin Johnson (pts), Chisora (pts) Briggs (Pts), Peter (already past it), Sosnwoski (KO 10), Solis, Williams etc.

Very poor spell for HW

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Signed up for the ESPN player trial really to watch 42 to 1. The Tyson/Douglas documentary. Decent watch. Anyone with an inside track on Tyson at the time really should've seen it coming.

Vitali was an old man when he beat up plodder Del Boy....

I was taking all at peak......

Yes, I would bet he decimates the likes of Del Boy at peak....

Also, decimates Wilder......AJ, who Andy Ruiz stopped......

Fury? Hmm, maybe he could make it 12....but no surprise at all that Vitali walks straight through him to stop him...

V

I was taking all at peak......

When was Vitali's peak?

When was Vitali's peak?

Before his first retirement do you not agree?

When was Vitali's peak?

No exact time

His best performances were in the early/mid noughties. His wins over Corrie Sanders, Danny Williams and his showing vs Lewis, were all great shows....

No exact time

His best performances were in the early/mid noughties. His wins over Corrie Sanders, Danny Williams and his showing vs Lewis, were all great shows....

I don't think taking 8 rounds to get rid of Williams was great, and he lost to Lewis who was supposed to be fighting an easy opponent in his retirement fight.

After Williams he went on a 4 year injury break.

Like yourself I think Prime Vitali would beat most of the current crop fairly easily but his resume doesn't stand up to even the Lewis/Bowe/Holyfield era (never-mind being considered an all time great).

I don't think taking 8 rounds to get rid of Williams was great, and he lost to Lewis who was supposed to be fighting an easy opponent in his retirement fight.

After Williams he went on a 4 year injury break.

Like yourself I think Prime Vitali would beat most of the current crop fairly easily but his resume doesn't stand up to even the Lewis/Bowe/Holyfield era (never-mind being considered an all time great).

I see what you mean.

But he beat who was around during his time..

"Fight for fight fantasy" based, he would be top ten ever....

He would be hell for any fighter ever...

For me , only a prime Tyson, 70s Foreman, 90s Bowe/Holyfield, LL would be ones I'd have some sort of confidence to beat him...

No exact time

Danny William's was a journey man ?

Most consider his best win was Sander's that says it all really ,
    Plus Sanders was 38 at that stage ,

Vitali isn't blowing any of todays to heavy weights away, He'd give them decent fights , I suspect he'd lose to most of them ,

• Advertisement

For me , only a prime Tyson, 70s Foreman, 90s Bowe/Holyfield, LL would be ones I'd have some sort of confidence to beat him...

Larry Holmes on a good day

Advertisement