Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-07-2019, 09:13   #226
blackbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badly Drunk Boy View Post
In these here parts, it's turf mull. Maybe you just have one of them funny accents, and that's what you mean.
My parents always called it turf mould, though I never saw it written down to see the spelling.
Even when it came in bags labelled Peat Moss and then Moss Peat they still called it turf mould.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-07-2019, 09:26   #227
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
My parents always called it turf mould, though I never saw it written down to see the spelling.
Even when it came in bags labelled Peat Moss and then Moss Peat they still called it turf mould.
It's definitely called turf mould, but I've never heard it pronounced as mould. How did your folks pronounce it?

It's turf mowld /mowl here. Others have (not unreasonably) offered 'turf mole/moll' and one weirdo calls it spruss or something.
12-07-2019, 09:27   #228
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysen Chubby Spice View Post
I live in a deeply rural area and I have to agree with you. If everybody lived as we live: One off house, septic tank, no services except those you drive to, burning smokey coal, digging up bogs for our fuel, etc: the country would be an environmental mess.
It kind of already is because of the ridiculous amounts of one offs and the reasons you just listed. What does rural even mean any more? You’re in a one off and you have to drive further to get things city people have st their doorstep about sums it up.
Thanks from:
12-07-2019, 09:32   #229
GooglePlus

I was born and raised with an open fire in the house but no longer have the luxury as I'm in an apartment in Dublin.

When I eventually move back to the shticks (fingers crossed), I'll have it roaring again, especially in the winter and Christmas time. Christmas isn't the same without the open fire.

Always found the turf to be a good slow burner but the real coal is great for blasting the room with heat first off.
12-07-2019, 09:40   #230
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysen Chubby Spice View Post
I live in a deeply rural area and I have to agree with you. If everybody lived as we live: One off house, septic tank, no services except those you drive to, burning smokey coal, digging up bogs for our fuel, etc: the country would be an environmental mess.
I too live in a deeply rural area. No turf. No smokey coal. Grow willow for biomass. Well maintained and regulated waste treatment system. Buy 90% of goods locally. Older house part of the landscape and there is enough of nature for wildlife for it not to be excluded or tarmacadamed or concreted out of existence. Lots of private waste treatment systems installed and thankfully are now are being maintained properly.

I find Irish cities are a mess. Low density (detached) ribbon development on Greenfield sites - nearly all heavily dependent on private transport. Giant mall type shopping centres - with car parks the size of some towns. Poor standards of municipal sewage treatment and disposal. Waste ground used for dumping and fly tipping on an epic scale. Little if any natural planting for wildlife or nature. Culmativly the cities produce vast amounts of waste and pollution that the adjacent environment has to try and cope with. I could go on.

But yeah eitherway it's not a competition. It does seem however that some are suggesting everyone in the countryside should up sticks and move into urban ghettos and demolish all houses in the countryside or something - when the cities cant even cope with people trying to live there already. The problem is everyone wants their lifestyle and too often the environment pays the penalty.

Last edited by gozunda; 12-07-2019 at 09:45.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-07-2019, 09:43   #231
Alexa, Play Liveline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooglePlus View Post
I was born and raised with an open fire in the house but no longer have the luxury as I'm in an apartment in Dublin.

When I eventually move back to the shticks (fingers crossed), I'll have it roaring again, especially in the winter and Christmas time. Christmas isn't the same without the open fire.

Always found the turf to be a good slow burner but the real coal is great for blasting the room with heat first off.
Im in a similar situation, but thankfully have a fireplace in the house here in Dublin and (luxury) one in the front bedroom. I usually burn smokeless briquettes but have smuggled up the occasional bag of turf -- can't tell you the joy of lying in bed reading a book with a turf fire on the go.

Someone I know down home converted a bedroom into a bathroom when renovating the house, and kept the fireplace. Imagine having a bath in front of a turf fire? That's the dream.
(3) thanks from:
12-07-2019, 09:46   #232
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Im in a similar situation, but thankfully have a fireplace in the house here in Dublin and (luxury) one in the front bedroom. I usually burn smokeless briquettes but have smuggled up the occasional bag of turf -- can't tell you the joy of lying in bed reading a book with a turf fire on the go.

Someone I know down home converted a bedroom into a bathroom when renovating the house, and kept the fireplace. Imagine having a bath in front of a turf fire? That's the dream.
Keep your planet destroying culchie ways out of Dublin!!
(2) thanks from:
12-07-2019, 09:50   #233
Edgware

Quote:

And having your butler run a bath for you and perhaps serve a glass of port, Wonderful
(3) thanks from:
12-07-2019, 09:52   #234
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
Dublin doesnt need culchie help ****ing up the planet. Its doing a grand job by itself.
Advertisement
12-07-2019, 10:15   #235
Vita nova

Quote:
Not sure who's worse, the one burning turf where it's prohibited or the person that calls them culchies.
Thanks from:
12-07-2019, 10:18   #236
Alexa, Play Liveline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgware View Post
Dublin doesnt need culchie help ****ing up the planet. Its doing a grand job by itself.
Indeed. The last time I had a day off and was about to go for a swim, there had been a shower of rain and so the Very Competent waste-treatment agency had caused raw sewage to spill into Dublin bay.

The same Very Competent city council insisted that the yellowish-brown scum in Sandycove had nothing to do with faecal matter, it was all just a great coincidence. Yet raw sewage is routinely being pumped into the Irish sea.

People on this side of the country need to get their own house in order before preaching about boglands which they have approximately zero interest in anyway.
Thanks from:
12-07-2019, 10:21   #237
nox001

Quote:
It kind of already is because of the ridiculous amounts of one offs and the reasons you just listed. What does rural even mean any more? You’re in a one off and you have to drive further to get things city people have st their doorstep about sums it up.
Many of us are happy to have a bit of a drive to places to have the many advantages of living in the county side.
12-07-2019, 10:22   #238
Ush1

Quote:
Indeed. The last time I had a day off and was about to go for a swim, there had been a shower of rain and so the Very Competent waste-treatment agency had caused raw sewage to spill into Dublin bay.

The same Very Competent city council insisted that the yellowish-brown scum in Sandycove had nothing to do with faecal matter, it was all just a great coincidence. Yet raw sewage is routinely being pumped into the Irish sea.

People on this side of the country need to get their own house in order before preaching about boglands which they have approximately zero interest in anyway.
Still, nice that you stayed living down the country anyway.

Perhaps the waste treatments and DCC would have more money to spend if so much taxes weren't flowing out of Dublin...
12-07-2019, 10:23   #239
the_pen_turner

Quote:
It's definitely called turf mould, but I've never heard it pronounced as mould. How did your folks pronounce it?

It's turf mowld /mowl here. Others have (not unreasonably) offered 'turf mole/moll' and one weirdo calls it spruss or something.
Not sure how to spell it buts pronounced mowld d is optional. To me mowld is more like peat moss than the small bits off turf
We call the larger lumps of small bits karawns . Probably bits larger than a table tennis ball.
The small bits and dust we call Bruss
12-07-2019, 10:28   #240
Thelonious Monk

Quote:

With Dublin bay a mess and 50% of septic tanks leaking I think we can agree we are all living in our own ****e in ireland
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion