Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 19:57   #166
nacho libre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 13,005
I miss it. It was a fond memory from my childhood.. The tea and sandwiches after a day of work in the bog were like an exotic meal! Also the trips home on top of the load of turf were good fun.
nacho libre is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 04:25   #167
oldbee
Registered User
 
oldbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdom fan View Post
I agree that we need to preserve our environment, and mindlessly pursuing a totally unsustainable act such as burning turf cannot go on forever. However I'd take some analysis of carbon footprint , efficiencies etc with a pinch of salt. For example.
How many sitka spruce plantations are on bog land. I've see vast tracts of bog covered in them. The bog is drained and then planted. No analysis on carbon loss only green party saying it's great. Total BS, and completely narrow view.
Roads. Two motorways I regularly travel cut through boys bog of Allen and castle Connell. The amount of bog removed and drained for these will dwarf any kind of demostic turf cutting.
Wind turbines. Big bog slide in galway a few years ago. A small one in Kerry that never made the media. Has anyone seen wind turbines built in bog. The bog is drained and vast quantities dug out and taken away. But they don't emit CO2... Or methane .....
People spouting the green party line on domestic turf cutting, efficiencies and d environment are being spoon fed sh1t and kept in d dark.
I'd agree in the sense that there is hypocrisy but that doesn't justify unsustainable behaviour just because the other lad got array with it. All of it should be stopped. So I'd hold the pinch of salt but call out the unsustainable behaviour that the poster mentions
oldbee is offline  
11-07-2019, 06:02   #168
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
Urban areas = more people living closer to areas of employment = less car journeys, more public transport, and overall shorter trip lengths.
There is a massive difference in population numbers between rural and urban that negates your argument and there is very little public transport out here. eg we have three buses a week. And sparse population

city traffic is constant and heavy
Graces7 is offline  
11-07-2019, 06:04   #169
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
I hear this a lot, what's the exact science/ calculation behind it?

We spend less than a grand for a winter's supply of turf, at home. None of the rads work, so it's the only source of heat, apart from maybe one trailer load of timber (which goes in no time, and seems super inefficient).

I live in a smaller house, in Dublin, and my heating costs are a few hundred quid higher. And my house is better insulated. I'm curious as to the provenance of this fact.
€min wage/hr per person for time spent bringing it home and it becomes the most inefficient source of heat available.
Peatys is offline  
11-07-2019, 06:05   #170
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbee View Post
I'd agree in the sense that there is hypocrisy but that doesn't justify unsustainable behaviour just because the other lad got array with it. All of it should be stopped. So I'd hold the pinch of salt but call out the unsustainable behaviour that the poster mentions
Land changes; we adapt.The land cannot and should not be treated as some kind of folk museum. Nature has her own ways and some posters appreciate this.
Graces7 is offline  
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 06:06   #171
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peatys View Post
€min wage/hr per person for time spent bringing it home and it becomes the most inefficient source of heat available.
That is not true unless you have no idea how to use it...
Graces7 is offline  
11-07-2019, 06:11   #172
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
That is not true unless you have no idea how to use it...
Did you miss the first half of that quote?
Peatys is offline  
11-07-2019, 06:18   #173
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline
 
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 12,175
Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peatys View Post
€min wage/hr per person for time spent bringing it home and it becomes the most inefficient source of heat available.
Wage... Per hour... What's all this about?

You don't pay someone to foot your turf and save it if you are a competent adult. You get your kids to do it, or you do it yourself, like mowing the lawn, or painting the kitchen. You do it when Corrie is on the telly, so it's not time you'd have used towards generating income anyway.

My neighbour once footed our turf just to be nice, but I think the real reason is because he enjoyed it.

It's mindfulness for us uneducated country folk. Ah please don't take away our mental health kind city-man, sir? Sure tis the only outlet we have since the praties were ruined again
A Tyrant Named Miltiades! is offline  
11-07-2019, 06:22   #174
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peatys View Post
Did you miss the first half of that quote?
No but it was so .... far off the mark that I left it for others to deal with which I see they have done!
Graces7 is offline  
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 06:25   #175
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Wage... Per hour... What's all this about?

You don't pay someone to foot your turf and save it if you are a competent adult. You get your kids to do it, or you do it yourself, like mowing the lawn, or painting the kitchen. You do it when Corrie is on the telly, so it's not time you'd have used towards generating income anyway.

My neighbour once footed our turf just to be nice, but I think the real reason is because he enjoyed it.

It's mindfulness for us uneducated country folk. Ah please don't take away our mental health kind city-man, sir? Sure tis the only outlet we have since the praties were ruined again
lol... The turf I buy at a very small cost as I am too disabled to cut it myself, is dug in the next field by a neighbour who cuts his own and a bit extra. For their winter heating. He does me a great kindness.

urban/rural divide..
Graces7 is offline  
11-07-2019, 06:28   #176
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,696
Slave labour does tend to make things cheaper alright. Many a summer lost to it
Peatys is offline  
(2) thanks from:
11-07-2019, 06:30   #177
MayoAreMagic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
It's about footprint. Humans sticking to the small area of towns and cities is better than a massive sprawl of human habitation.


what despotic inward looking ignorant point of view. You can't eat gold.
Actually no, it is about preserving habitats. Sprawling masses of concrete weren't exactly the preferred living quarters for the corncrake and hen harrier last time I checked... Im simply asking what about those habitats? Surely all construction should be forced to go up in cities instead of out, from now on? Regardless of what the owners actually want? The principles are the same, but that wont happen, which tells its own story.
This idea that this is somehow different is flawed. By that logic, if the owners of the boglands went and built a casino on the site for example - completely removing all bog in the process, that would be ok, but cutting a bit off the bank every year and reducing the habitat, is deemed worse? That is not the reality.

Re gold, well you cant eat habitats either, but I think you have missed the point. Much of that land is privately owned. If they want to dictate what happens with it, they should need to own it to do so. The same way if someone walks into your privately owned home and tells you to knock out that wall and close up that window for the sake of the poor auld slugs, you are simply going to ask them to leave. Private ownership should mean something, and this attitude of trying to shame people into doing what is in fashion, with their own property, shows a lack of respect for people and their rights. They own that land the same way you own your car/home etc and that should be respected fully. So that is why I say, if someone wants to dictate as regards what happens to it, they should have to buy it.

Im not trying to keep cutting turf btw. If it has to be stopped that is fine. But I do think that the people involved dont get fair treatment and that they 100% should. This view that they are ignorant and backward is a big part of the problem and not only not true, but in fact totally irrelevant. What is relevant is that these lands are legally owned by these people and therefore their business until such time as they have sold them, like it or lump it.

My two cents on it is, there are thousands of hectares of bog in this country that are not cut for turf nor ever will be. Therefore I think there is room for some level of regulated turf cutting to continue and nobody has to be put out too much.
Ironically enough, the biggest threat to these areas is in fact people buying tracts and planting it with forestry, many of whom would not live in the countryside and use it as an investment. Not many are calling them ignorant, curiously enough...
MayoAreMagic is offline  
11-07-2019, 06:34   #178
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline
 
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 12,175
Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
lol... The turf I buy at a very small cost as I am too disabled to cut it myself, is dug in the next field by a neighbour who cuts his own and a bit extra. For their winter heating. He does me a great kindness.

urban/rural divide..
Ouch. That was a particularly stupid comment on my part. I meant a bit of a jibe at those who can save their own turf but don't want to, not people who just can't for whatever reason.

Turf really does bring out a lot of the best in people. Living off the land, great exercise, cooperation between neighbours like you mentioned, and the joy of burning it. Long may it continue.
A Tyrant Named Miltiades! is offline  
11-07-2019, 07:14   #179
Accidentally
Registered User
 
Accidentally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peatys View Post
€min wage/hr per person for time spent bringing it home and it becomes the most inefficient source of heat available.
Some people save turf and cut firewood. Some people pay gym fees.
Accidentally is offline  
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 08:39   #180
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Ouch. That was a particularly stupid comment on my part. I meant a bit of a jibe at those who can save their own turf but don't want to, not people who just can't for whatever reason.

Turf really does bring out a lot of the best in people. Living off the land, great exercise, cooperation between neighbours like you mentioned, and the joy of burning it. Long may it continue.
why "ouch"? I agreed fully. I love being able to support my neighbours for their kindnesses in even this small way. Far far better than some anonymous dealer over the water.. before that he had given me so many bags free.

and amen to your last words! AMEN!

But rural life and city life are poles apart
Graces7 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet