Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wedding Present Ideas on a teeny tiny budget

• 26-08-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Myself and my partner are very strapped for cash at the moment. We are barely making ends meet, and one of my best friends is getting married soon.

I've no idea what to get them.l was just wondering if putting 50 in a card as my job is about to finish and my partner isn't working at the moment look tight. We have had to move in with his parents as things are so bad, and my friends knows this. I can afford around 50 but am worried ill look tight, so was wondering if anyone know of cool or funky gifts I could get? I really love my friend and want to get them something special but am very strapped for cash

Thanks guys x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Soups123

spud82 wrote: »
    Hey guys

Myself and my partner are very strapped for cash at the moment. We are barely making ends meet, and one of my best friends is getting married soon.

I've no idea what to get them.l was just wondering if putting 50 in a card as my job is about to finish and my partner isn't working at the moment look tight. We have had to move in with his parents as things are so bad, and my friends knows this. I can afford around 50 but am worried ill look tight, so was wondering if anyone know of cool or funky gifts I could get? I really love my friend and want to get them something special but am very strapped for cash

Thanks guys x

If she's one of your best friends she won't expect a lot knowing how your struggling.

Don't fret about it its only money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Just put 2 teabags in the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Hey guys

Thanks guys x

I hear Ashley Madison memberships are all the rage now.

Seriously though, if they are really good friends they'll be happier with you company for the day and will appreciate anything you get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

I was thinking of making a video/scaprbook of their relationship and printing it off like a storybook or magazine, and than get them a voucher for dinner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Give them a framed and autographed black and white photo of yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Hey guys

Thanks guys x

There are so many gifts OP you could get on a budget of €20, never mind €50.

Try not to stress out too much as your friends are likely to be more understanding of your current circumstances than you putting pressure on yourself to buy them anything extravagant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

AH Mod: Hi, I just moved this from After Hours since I think you'll get better advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Id suggest your time, explain the situation and offer to help out in whatever way you can? Throw up a table outside the church and hand out ice cream in wafers or do the waitering job if their having a do in one of the parents house the next day, put together the mass booklets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

How teeny tiny a budget?

You can get some really good deals on sites like Pigsback, Groupon etc for a lovely meal or a night away in a hotel for anywhere around the €30 - €80 mark.

smash wrote: »

Well seen as my my best friend is a boy I doubt his wife would appreciate a photo of me, even if it was a bikini one in black and white :D

• Advertisement

How teeny tiny a budget?

You can get some really good deals on sites like Pigsback, Groupon etc for a lovely meal or a night away in a hotel for anywhere around the €30 - €80 mark.

Do they have expiry dates on the vouchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Do they have expiry dates on the vouchers?

Usually, yes they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Are you going to the wedding aswell?

Just might help the answers!

Are you going to the wedding aswell?

Just might help the answers!

Yup sure am saved up my money for last 2 months to go

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yup sure am saved up my money for last 2 months to go

Check the likes of groupn rtf for deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Dont stress over it, your friend will know the situation and not be expecting anything but your company, buy them a small weddingy present for €30 and then just enjoy the day with them. Personally I have done this before and had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

I think the scrapbook idea is really thoughtful and personal, and would be very easy to do on a budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

OP maybe if you have a decent camera or a camera phone, get a few snaps of them on the day. Maybe an action shot or a caught in the moment shot, and get it printed and framed or put on canvas and give it to them as soon as they come back from honeymoon. Most couples wait weeks to even see proofs of their wedding photos so even to have one shot to display would be lovely.
    At our wedding, one of my husband's friends (whom we knew was unemployed for a bit) is into photography, took some photos at the church (I didn't even notice as many people take photos). But he nipped home after the church, printed a nice photo of us and had it waiting on our top table when we went in for dinner. 5 years later the photo is still stuck up on the kitchen press!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Try homewares section of arnotts, kilkenny centre or carraig dun. You can get loads of nice household items for that budget and they giftwrap them beautifully. Presents we got like this and really liked were a slate cheeseboard, set of China mugs, a framed print and a set of lovely fancy napkins. Would advise against wine glasses and photo frames as couple tend to get loads of these for engagements and weddings!!! I'd way prefer this a keepsake over a voucher personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I hate seeing people worrying about whether they'll look tight if they can't afford much for a wedding gift. Weddings should be about celebrating with the couple, not worrying about money. I'm sure whatever you give it will be appreciate, and more importantly your presence at the wedding will be appreciate.

Not On The High Street is a great website for different gifts. You'd definitely get something there for your budget. Here's a link, and they have a wedding gifts section. I just had a quick look at their personalised gifts and selected €50 as the budget and there are loads of lovely prints and things there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

You really can do well with a thoughtful €50 spend.
    A few ideas
    1. Maybe a personal wedding print for them here

2. Or a nice Vera Wang Photo frame for their wedding pictures- link here

3. A Cake Stand and Cake Slice like this

4. You might hate the thought of crystal but arnotts have bowls and vases from €40 from waterford, looks very expensive and is very giveable. See link here

5. Kilkenny Design Orla Kiely caniters http://www.kilkennyshop.com/canister-set-of-three-multi-stem.html

Hope you find something nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

smash wrote:

Like that weirdo of a teacher on come dine with me, who put the brown paper bag over the fellas head after calling him ugly about 50 times?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I was just going to say something like a photo montage would be great.

Im telling you after just getting married myself there is nothing more precious that pressies like these or going out maybe making your own card with their names on it so it makes a nice keepsake for them, I have two lovely examaples if you want me to pm them onto you. You could do up like a nice photo frame of maybe pictures they would not have of ye and them. Or even just of them... Or like that the scrap book.. Would mean a lot more I am sure to them..

Out of all the things we got, there were three that were just great, one was the hen weekend book a friend made for me, MR &MRS nice mugs, and the cards with our names.... they mean so much more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cadesin

I would prefer something thoughtful and personal rather than expensive.
    A candid picture of them out with friends, with a thoughtful note.
    A bottle of champagne to be opened on their honeymoon or first anniversary.
    A vase with a giftcard from a florist for their first fight.
    New pillows! Who wouldn't love new pillows!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Mok

A girl I know makes clocks and carvings by recycling records, have seen some brilliant personalised wedding gifts on her page (example attached). She has a page called wreck the record on Facebook. No vested interest on my part just thought they'd make great wedding presents

Advertisement