Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-07-2019, 13:31   #196
Ush1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
There is a massive difference in population numbers between rural and urban that negates your argument and there is very little public transport out here. eg we have three buses a week. And sparse population

city traffic is constant and heavy
It's per capita, urbanisation is much more efficient and eco friendly for numerous reasons.
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 13:38   #197
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ush1 View Post
It's per capita, urbanisation is much more efficient and eco friendly for numerous reasons.
such as?
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 13:58   #198
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
What do you mean by folk museum?

Surely it's those of us who enjoy a working bog who don't want to turn it into a folk museum?

A bog is a living, breathing thing. Human interaction with the bog (and on the bog) is part of its life.

Maybe this was your point, and I have taken you up wrong? I sure don't see how anyone who loves and *actually uses* the bogs thinks of them as a folk museum.
I used the term folk museum as an extreme term, never thinking it would be anything but ridiculed and denied... Life and nature move forwards and change; they are not fossilised. You cannot halt progression and trying to do so does more damage than accepting and looking to the future and there are many conservation areas already
eg

http://www.irishbogrestorationprojec...ower-mayo.html

In Mayo we have the largest bog areas in Ireland also

and we have many who use the bog respectfully and cut it carefully and responsibly for the love they have for it.
11-07-2019, 13:59   #199
MayoAreMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tarangu View Post
There are all sorts of restrictions society places on the use of private property; if I were to buy the land next door to you and try to open an incinerator or start a strip-mining operation, I probably wouldn't be allowed to.
They dont take away the entire purpose of having the property though... If you buy a shop, the council wont turn around and tell you, actually we have decided that that shop is no longer a shop and you cant do anything with it, but you can keep it anyway. That is effectively what is happening. Dont forget the reason these people invested in this land in the first place - it was sold to them to fulfill a purpose, even a business for some. It's simply unfair treatment
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 14:12   #200
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
Who said driving is unsustainable?
yeah yeah yeah, your views are well known on the topic.
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 14:15   #201
cgcsb

Quote:
such as?
more efficient travel, more efficient heating, smaller spaces, shared spaces, more efficient provision of services, shared services.
11-07-2019, 14:16   #202
Ush1

Quote:
such as?
Economies of scale, higher density, easier and cheaper to power, supply water to, sewage systems, less roads, public transport, less erosion of countryside and habitat, etc...
11-07-2019, 14:34   #203
Badly Drunk Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Dafuq is spruss?

I have never heard of this SPRUSS. It sounds like a German high-speed rail.

It is mowl, it will always be mowl.

Omg this is what rural areas used to go to war over, isn't it?
In these here parts, it's turf mull. Maybe you just have one of them funny accents, and that's what you mean.
11-07-2019, 14:58   #204
Graces7

[QUOTE=cgcsb;

did you say something? Odd a blank page
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 15:02   #205
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ush1 View Post
Economies of scale, higher density, easier and cheaper to power, supply water to, sewage systems, less roads, public transport, less erosion of countryside and habitat, etc...
Greater volume of consumption outweighs all these.

The very existence of a city erodes environment and destroys habitat 100 % Air quality especially.
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 15:19   #206
Ush1

Quote:
Greater volume of consumption outweighs all these.

The very existence of a city erodes environment and destroys habitat 100 % Air quality especially.
What do you mean greater volume of consumption?

This is per capita, it's clearly more efficient having a high density in a smaller area than spread out throughout the countryside.

Cities destroy habitat because people need a place to live but they destroy a much smaller amount than ribbon development and one off housing. A block of apartments is easier to service with roads, infrastructure, power, heat etc...
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 16:19   #207
mammychicken

My father always used turf ash from the fire to heap on his rhubharb growing in the garden, it was some crop, we'd chop it when it was ripe and have stewed rhubarb and custard for desert, now I have to buy it in the shop, miss those days....
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 17:33   #208
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammychicken View Post
My father always used turf ash from the fire to heap on his rhubharb growing in the garden, it was some crop, we'd chop it when it was ripe and have stewed rhubarb and custard for desert, now I have to buy it in the shop, miss those days....
Probably flown in from Venezuela ....

Not at you btw - but I do have to laugh at anyone who proposes that cities are somehow 'eco friendly.

Not only do high density urban areas involve the total annihilation of all natural ecosystem and habitats - they concentration of pollutants means that emissions and discharges to the wider environment are a significant and persistent source of toxic pollution.

High density living is not only bad for humans- it certainly does nothing for ecosystems and wildlife which depend on them . That said most development in Dublin and other urban areas in the last couple of decades have been on Greenfield sites with vast areas of detached houses which are spreading at an alarming rate into what was once countryside and all significantly dependent on private transport. See fek all criticism of this tbh .
11-07-2019, 18:54   #209

Cities can be more efficient.

If you have an excellent public transport system and provision for cyclists then obviously that beats people commuting in cars.

If you have heavy traffic in gridlock and cyclists choking on car fumes then that is not ideal though.
11-07-2019, 18:55   #210
El Tarangu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
... I do have to laugh at anyone who proposes that cities are somehow 'eco friendly.

Not only do high density urban areas involve the total annihilation of all natural ecosystem and habitats - they concentration of pollutants means that emissions and discharges to the wider environment are a significant and persistent source of toxic pollution.
https://www.independent.ie/business/...-37581386.html

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the current sanitation set-up in rural areas' involves people literally befouling one another's drinking water, so I'm not sure how 'eco friendly' that is.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion