Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-07-2019, 16:53   #151
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayoAreMagic View Post
I find it hard to swallow the habitat argument as regards cutting turf. Especially so from people who have chosen to live in cities. How many different kinds of habitats were destroyed in the building of said city? How can everyone be so concerned about these habitats, but not those? Why is human development deemed ok in one area but not another?
It's about footprint. Humans sticking to the small area of towns and cities is better than a massive sprawl of human habitation.

Quote:
Similarly, I take issue with people from overseas telling us what to do with our blanket bogs and telling us how valuable and rare they are. Many of these are on private owned land so if they are that valuable then put your hand in your pocket and buy them, then you can do what you want with them... Shall we start off the bidding at around 1 million an acre? So rare and valuable after all...
what despotic inward looking ignorant point of view. You can't eat gold.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 16:56   #152
cgcsb

Quote:
Part of the outskirts of Galway city is build on bog - does development stop there too? How far do you go with this?
Yes, Galway's urban area should only be a quarter of what it is.
10-07-2019, 17:01   #153

I agree with the abolition of burning turf, peat and coal for domestic heating nationwide. Anything else exposes the insincerity of the climate emergency declaration. I also agree that buying bogs from owners is reasonable, though not at an inflated price.
10-07-2019, 17:03   #154
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Living in a city is generally more environmentally-friendly than living in the countryside.

Coal and oil pollutes as does traffic. So how d you work that one out?
Urban areas = more people living closer to areas of employment = less car journeys, more public transport, and overall shorter trip lengths.
(2) thanks from:
10-07-2019, 17:04   #155

Winter air quality in Irish villages is worse than cities because of they burn turf and coal in one and not the other. New Ross has worse air quality than Beijing in the Winter
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 17:06   #156
Dank Janniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthclare View Post
I use turf dust sometimes as a mulch around plants, it stays dark and can turn your pink hydrangeas blue...

Its great for pathways too if you've no gravel, little gravely bits of turf, it suppresses weeds too...
Turf dust???

ITS CALLED SPRUSS!!!!
Bloody townies!!
10-07-2019, 18:02   #157
kingdom fan

I agree that we need to preserve our environment, and mindlessly pursuing a totally unsustainable act such as burning turf cannot go on forever. However I'd take some analysis of carbon footprint , efficiencies etc with a pinch of salt. For example.
How many sitka spruce plantations are on bog land. I've see vast tracts of bog covered in them. The bog is drained and then planted. No analysis on carbon loss only green party saying it's great. Total BS, and completely narrow view.
Roads. Two motorways I regularly travel cut through boys bog of Allen and castle Connell. The amount of bog removed and drained for these will dwarf any kind of demostic turf cutting.
Wind turbines. Big bog slide in galway a few years ago. A small one in Kerry that never made the media. Has anyone seen wind turbines built in bog. The bog is drained and vast quantities dug out and taken away. But they don't emit CO2... Or methane .....
People spouting the green party line on domestic turf cutting, efficiencies and d environment are being spoon fed sh1t and kept in d dark.
(4) thanks from:
10-07-2019, 18:13   #158
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank Janniels View Post
Turf dust???

ITS CALLED SPRUSS!!!!
Bloody townies!!
Dafuq is spruss?

I have never heard of this SPRUSS. It sounds like a German high-speed rail.

It is mowl, it will always be mowl.

Omg this is what rural areas used to go to war over, isn't it?
10-07-2019, 18:23   #159
El Tarangu

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
You refer to rural "dwellers" but "our" countryside. I'm trying not to read too much into that, I'm sure you can't actually object to the fact of private property, and property ownership.
You would be right, indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
But if I came out with some ludicrous statement like "we should withold pensions from the elderly until they stop heating *our* houses with crude oil", you'd probably correctly conclude that I was talking rubbish.
I'm not sure what you are getting at with that analogy; a poster referred to "people from overseas telling us what to do with our blanket bogs" - people are generally happy with the EU's input on how much beef or dairy they should produce when it was accompanied by a big cheque. Which is understandable; the flip-side of that is that we also also have to take their input on how we should be looking after ... Ireland's bogland.

(I didn't want to say 'our', lest that it set you off on a search for Reds under the bed once again).
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 18:32   #160
Alexa, Play Liveline

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tarangu View Post

I'm not sure what you are getting at with that analogy; a poster referred to "people from overseas telling us what to do with our blanket bogs" - people are generally happy with the EU's input on how much beef or dairy they should produce when it was accompanied by a big cheque.
This is so out-of-touch with reality I don't know if it's worth anyone's time to reply.

If you object to EU subsidies, then let us run our farms by globally competitive standards. Farmers are well able to turn a profit, but the EU has decided that it doesn't want farmers to engage in ordinary commercial practices. Probably wise.

But don't blame farmers for this. Farmers can, alternatively, and quite happily, carry on in business like your local Starbucks or Tesco does. Right now, farmers are incentivised to forego profit in favour of the environment.

Farmers aren't benefitting from EU welfare, as you seem to believe. They're accepting (probably lower) profit margins for the sake of sustainability and engaging unproductive farming practices, as requested.

Everyone seems to think they're qualified to tell farmers what's what, without seeming to have he most basic notion of how the industry works
(3) thanks from:
10-07-2019, 18:51   #161
Markcheese

Wow this degenerated into an us versus them argument very quick,
And most are actually arguing the same side of the coin,
The sooner Bord na mona stop milling peat, and promote the bogs regrowing the better, but even the couple of small trailers an old farmer removes, still needs a drained bog... A living bog is moss, probably with drier ridges and banks, with scrub and Heather on,
But if an oul fella is removing turf by sleán, he's not going to be draining much,
10-07-2019, 19:08   #162
Alexa, Play Liveline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcheese View Post
Wow this degenerated into an us versus them argument very quick,
And most are actually arguing the same side of the coin,
The sooner Bord na mona stop milling peat, and promote the bogs regrowing the better, but even the couple of small trailers an old farmer removes, still needs a drained bog...
Can't disagree with any of the above.

You're totally right about drainage, I just want to add one thing and remind people that this kind of drainage is totally unlike what most of us would describe as draining bogs, ie where you dig a ditch around a bog to eventually transform It into arable land.

I hate that practice. Any right-thinking person does. Most of us want to conserve peatlands, as you correctly said we are usually arguing on the margins here.
Thanks from:
10-07-2019, 19:09   #163
Galwayguy35

Used to cut it with the slean growing up because the machine wasn't able to get up to where the bog was and we wheeled it out to the road with a barrow.

Hard going it was but we just saw it as part of the summer work that needed to be done when we were off school.

Don't think young lads would do it now though.

These days some of the bogs around here are protected but a few miles down the road we can cut on them.

TDs know what side their bread is buttered on and it would be a brave/foolish one that would come to the door and tell people to stop cutting turf which is why a party like the Greens is dead in the water west of the Shannon.
Thanks from:
10-07-2019, 19:13   #164
NabyLadistheman

Face down ass up that's the way we foot our turf
Thanks from:
10-07-2019, 19:39   #165
kingdom fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Living in a city is generally more environmentally-friendly than living in the countryside.

Coal and oil pollutes as does traffic. So how d you work that one out?
Urban areas = more people living closer to areas of employment = less car journeys, more public transport, and overall shorter trip lengths.
https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp6ci/p6cii/p6td/

Does this say longest commute is around Dublin ( Meath, Kildare Wicklow )
Donegal , Kerry the shortest.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/news/new-cso-figures-reveal-unemployment-rates-county-ireland-591745
South Dublin has more unemployment than Kerry or Clare or Roscommon. Surely that can't be right.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion