Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you could go on the beer with one person from history who would it be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Paidi o Se, some legend was our paidi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Margret thatcher a firm favorite in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

I saw Peter Ustinov on the LLS years ago as a kid. He seemed very interesting and good craic.

I also remember him from various chat shows during my childhood. A brilliant raconteur.
    I can’t imagine he’d be mad for the gargle though.

From the session point of view:
    Oliver Reed
    Richard Harris
    George Best

I wouldn’t be able to keep up but fun trying.

Would love to chat to Spike Mulligan - a strange mind!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

saabsaab wrote: »
    The Blitz may have saved the RAF. The bombing drew attention away from the control centres and airfields at a critical time during the battle of Britain.
    Not really.

Documentary on it said only one RAF airfield wasn't operational the day after an attack. Spare aircraft were being churned out by the factories. And most of the airfields were just big grass fields with tents and a telephone line. It also helped that it was one of the warmest, driest summers.

Attacks on the radar stations might have made more difference.

Or not forcing the Me 109's to stay near the bombers. Or spent so much time forming up over France with the the English listening in on radio and taking notes. End result Me 109's had 10 minutes flight time and when there was an attack they were starting from a know position that was lower and slower than ideal. The RAF had similar problems with their Big Wing tactic.

Just before the war the Germans took a Zeppelin on a grand trip along the UK coast. The Brits just turned off all the newest radars because they guessed what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Probably a roman emperor but there's a lot to choose from, while marcus aurelius was probably the best emperor maybe a bit too deep and self desiplined for a proper piss up. While a night out with one of the mad, bad ones could go too far into debauchery.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Rasputin. Legend has it he was some fella for the sess.

Also, dafuq was really going on when he was part of the Royal Court.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Orson Welles because from any interview or speech I’ve watched of his he seems an unbelievably interesting person to listen to. Now I get the impression that he was known to at times embellish his stories but at least they’d be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Sir Ranulph Fiennes, there was one hell raiser!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'd probably have a few cans in a field with good ol' Spike Milligan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Dont forget Sir Peter Sellers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah I’d say he’d be a good laugh alright. I mean that story of him going into an undertakers and shouting “shop” is very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Dont forget Sir Peter Sellers?

If I can exceed my quota then certainly. I would have a go-to story for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Rasputin. Legend has it he was some fella for the sess.

Also, dafuq was really going on when he was part of the Royal Court.

Was thinking of the big man; would just be worried he'd be a bit to enigmatic. I always imagine him as a sort of Russel Brand character. Poor Nicholas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Pronto63 wrote: »
    I also remember him from various chat shows during my childhood. A brilliant raconteur.
    I can’t imagine he’d be mad for the gargle though.

From the session point of view:
    Oliver Reed
    Richard Harris
    George Best

I wouldn’t be able to keep up but fun trying.

Would love to chat to Spike Mulligan - a strange mind!

Fun fact Oliver and Richard went on a bender and ended up buying a pub while p*ssed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,803 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

seenitall wrote: »
    William Shakespeare, Nikola Tesla, Graham Greene, Marilyn Monroe, Orson Welles.

Tesla would be interesting... I’d want to know how he came to evaluate that earth is a conductor of acoustical resonance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Catherine de Medici - the power behind the French court & throne,
    a billionaire in her time and an expert in political
    manipulation and poisons.

Tom Crean thou I hear he never
    spoke about his incredible adventures once he got home so only if he’s in a chatty mood.

Marco Polo but preferably if you could get him off the battlefield Ghenghis Khan.

Marlene Dietrich would be a great night out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Has to be Jesus Christ..even to ask him straight out did he really come back from the dead? If so, it kind of turns the whole question of an afterlife on its head and would give immense peace and comfort to the world. Without that, we just have to take the word of the bible..

W: Did you really come back from the dead?
    JC: No
    W: Ok

Could be a ****e enough night after that to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Julius Caesar.

A soldier, celebrity, general, statesman, dictator, poet, historian. He literally created the Roman Empire.

Besides the language barrier, I can't think of a better person.

Julius Caesar walks into a bar and asks the barman for a "martinus".

Barman says "Don't you mean a martini?"

Julius says "If I wanted a double I would have said so."

I'd have to go with John F. Kennedy.

Apparently a great sense of humour and can you imagine being HIS wingman on a session.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Hunter S Thompson, Gráinne Ní Mháille, Van Gogh and Anne Bonny,
    Thats four but I dont care!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

W: Did you really come back from the dead?
    JC: No
    W: Ok

Could be a ****e enough night after that to be fair

What about that water into wine trick?

Oh, that I can do...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

saabsaab wrote: »
    Hitler didn't smoke, hardly ever drank and didn't eat meat. Must have got his kicks in other ways.

Apparently he didn't drink either. Got plastered one day when he was an artist in Vienna and passed out in a ditch. Was discovered by a milk maid the next day and never drank again.

Probably a roman emperor but there's a lot to choose from, while marcus aurelius was probably the best emperor maybe a bit too deep and self desiplined for a proper piss up. While a night out with one of the mad, bad ones could go too far into debauchery.

A session with Caligula could be great craic or fatal depending on the mad bastard's whim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Just some medieval scumbag peasant.

Nobody famous - they all are ****.

Fun fact Oliver and Richard went on a bender and ended up buying a pub while p*ssed.

I read that too, though I think it might have been Harris, Richard Burton and Albert Finney. Apparently the landlord called time. They weren't ready to call it a night so they offered to buy the pub and for him to name his price. He quoted a price and they agreed and wrote a cheque and continued to drink away. The next day he broached the subject and ripped up the cheque saying he knew they were locked and was just humouring them.

Fast forward a few years when the pub owner, with whom they had developed a fond friendship, died and they attended his funeral. Pissed again at the funeral except they were at the wrong funeral as one of the other mourners asked them how they knew the deceased.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Saddam Hussein to ask him if he really invaded Kuwait because they were stealing his oil by slant drilling at his border. Perhaps one of the most important decisions in the current state of peace in the world. The UN should have investigated if he was being robbed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Kuwait

Saddam Hussein to ask him if he really invaded Kuwait because they were stealing his oil by slant drilling at his border. Perhaps one of the most important decisions in the current state of peace in the world. The UN should have investigated if he was being robbed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Kuwait

The geologists confirmed the slant drilling. US envoy April Glaspie assured Saddam that there would be no response from the US if he retaliated against Kuwait. Of course she lied. He fell for the trap set by the US. But that's another discussion.

I think I'd like to have a session with Diana Dors as well.

Just so others could gawp at me with this blonde bombshell.
    She was a brassy one too. Used to have orgies at her gaff and film them and watch the footage the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

The Clintons and see for sure if they are bat **** crazy.

Advertisement