Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any universally loved Irish people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Civil War?
    Someone shot him, in his own county?
    Hardly universally popular.

There isn't a person mentioned so far who is popular for everyone but I think he would be as popular with many Irish people as some of the fcuktards listed previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

joeguevara wrote: »
    If you were cooked a fillet steak badly you hate the chef not the steak.

Honestly if you are Irish, you have no choice but accepting Irish is our native language as its recognised as such in our constitution. If you don’t recognise the constitution then i don’t count you. And promotion of our culture while integrating others is paramount.

The Irish language was given the distinction of being our "first official language" shortly after the foundation of the state, but it's not really our native language, although it was to many of our forbears, two hundred years ago .....

Our native tongue is English (Hiberno English).

MICHAEL O'LEARY :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The Irish language was given the distinction of being our "first official language" shortly after the foundation of the state, but it's not really our native language, although it was to many of our forbears, two hundred years ago .....

Our native tongue is English (Hiberno English).

MICHAEL O'LEARY :)

As I said it is our national language and our first official language. Now it’s not our spoken language, our native language (most predominant language in area) and that is fine and a huge advantage for Ireland. But the issue was a poster saying irish was not his national language and had an issue with the president promoting it. I am not in any way a shinner but I am proud of our culture and anything we can do to ensure that we don’t lose it while integrating everything else is important to me. Also, I’m a fluent speaker from my father but I know so many people who have learned irish as adults. Also our culture includes legends and music etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Dammo

Bambi wrote: »
    Dermot Morgan is the clear winner I think

Rory Gallagher coming in second

Joey Dunlop probably third

Never hear a bad word about them (for viewers in NI, so you don't)

Of course they've all gone off to their eternal reward now so are even more loved.

Rory Gallagher is not second in anything

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The crowd in the goat house.

What is the deal with this?

Are they supposed to ride each other?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Dammo wrote: »
    Rory Gallagher is not second in anything

He's the second grave to the left of my grand aunt's in St. Oliver's cemetery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

John Giles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

John Giles.

I'm sure there's plenty who played against him who would disagree. Phenomenal player but fierce tackler

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

24 hours and 400 posts on, the OP has not commented on our selections. How they expected anyone to know is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

8-10 wrote: »
    I'm sure there's plenty who played against him who would disagree. Phenomenal player but fierce tackler

For all that I don't recollect anyone ever speaking ill of him. Including Clough
    who would have had just cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

In the 70s and years on his reputation was as a sly cynical and sneaky dirty player

Himself and bremner (some would say all of the Leeds team)

Just figured it out the OP is most loved daytime quizmaster Henry Kelly and he’s developing a new quiz to rival pointless based on arguments on Irish heroes.

Well played Henry. well played

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I was at a book launch where the guest was Micheál o muireachtaigh and forgot to discuss the author and the book :)

You mean he forgot to mention the book and the author? Too busy talking about himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Just figured it out the OP is most loved daytime quizmaster Henry Kelly and he’s developing a new quiz to rival pointless based on arguments on Irish heroes.

Well played Henry. well played

After Hours should do a knockout competition between the nominations. Like they did for biscuits. Last man or woman standing wins.

You mean he forgot to mention the book and the author? Too busy talking about himself?

Wouldn’t be that uncommon, especially if he is a paid guest and author isnt well known He brings the crowd to listen to him and then the author can read a chapter and sell to captive audience. Then the crowd will be telling all asunder about the Great stories Micheál said. When asked what it was for mention book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

After Hours should do a knockout competition between the nominations. Like they did for biscuits. Last man or woman standing wins.

I am pretty sure they did that a few years ago and Samantha Mumba won it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh?

Can't stand him, not a GAA head so find his bogger warbling very annoying.

To be fair to Michael, he's never going to be universally loved.

So many people have a massive chip on their shoulder RE the GAA and will always go out of their way to try and talk down anything related to it. The man could be the reincarnation of mother Theresa and one of those gobsh1tes will still come on here and call him a bogger to try and justify their hatred of the GAA.

BnB wrote: »
    To be fair to Michael, he's never going to be universally loved.

So many people have a massive chip on their shoulder RE the GAA and will always go out of their way to try and talk down anything related to it. The man could be the reincarnation of mother Theresa and one of those gobsh1tes will still come on here and call him a bogger to try and justify their hatred of the GAA.

Hold on a second, mother Teresa is probably as close to the devil incarnate as possible. The fact that she caused so much suffering and is now up for sainthood is crazy. Never thought anyone could not love Micheál though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,753 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Bill O'Herlihy. I would be very surprised if anyone disagreed.

He was insanely talented. Every other tv channel, you or at least i sit down to watch a match and it’s the match, what’s said or goes on at half time is only the backdrop to pouring a diet coke and checking WhatsApp. With Eamonn, Johnny, Liam and whoever else... with Bill as the ringleader, master of ceremonies and pot stirrer, puppet master extraordinaire we got a show that was intelligent, competitive, combative, insightful and at times humorous. Bill led that charge to make it good... Lineker and co earning about four times couldn’t lace his boots.

Without Bill it’s blandsville. Darragh Moloney, Peter Collins, nice enough lads but the fire and skill is gone... gone from hanging on every word and eyebrow raise and grenade lobbing you are hanging out by the fridge...waiting for kick off. Bill made being the anchor of a football TV show into an art form....

Strumms wrote: »
    He was insanely talented. Every other tv channel, you or at least i sit down to watch a match and it’s the match, what’s said or goes on at half time is only the backdrop to pouring a diet coke and checking WhatsApp. With Eamonn, Johnny, Liam and whoever else... with Bill as the ringleader, master of ceremonies and pot stirrer, puppet master extraordinaire we got a show that was intelligent, competitive, combative, insightful and at times humorous. Bill led that charge to make it good... Lineker and co earning about four times couldn’t lace his boots.

Without Bill it’s blandsville. Darragh Moloney, Peter Collins, nice enough lads but the fire and skill is gone... gone from hanging on every word and eyebrow raise and grenade lobbing you are hanging out by the fridge...waiting for kick off. Bill made being the anchor of a football TV show into an art form....

Liam was insanely talented as a footballer but didn’t like when he joined the panel. Mainly because of his refusal to ever criticise Trapattoni. Whoever decided to team up Bill, Johnny and a Éamon was an evil genius. They were fantastic. Bill knew which buttons to press but was average football knowledge. Johnny Giles is/was a football genius and his knowledge of the game was world class. Éamon loved saying things to wind Johnny up and bill trying to reign them in. It just worked. Nearly didn’t need the apres match parody as they were comedy gold in themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Was being a fierce tackler a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In terms of sport I’ve heard very critical comments on the following “legends”

Brian o Driscoll
    Paul o Connell
    Ronan o gara
    Rory mcilroy
    Conor mcgregor
    Roy keane
    Robbie keane

Maybe Barry mcguigan might make the list? Quite popular still

From that list Id say very few people dont like Paul o'Connell or Ronan o'Gara. But they're a bit of a charisma free zone.

Dennis Taylor would fit the bill for universally liked.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    From that list Id say very few people dont like Paul o'Connell or Ronan o'Gara. But they're a bit of a charisma free zone.

With his unfair sidekick Alex Higgins. Absolutely adored Alex. Even Irish people got a kick when he screamed at Denis Taylor not to come back to Belfast or he’d get him shot. Head butted a ref during a match too.

Ken Doherty was great too. No style like whyte or Ronnie but when his game was in he could beat the best. Winning the crucible was amazing when you realised the talent all around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

retalivity wrote: »
    Daniel O'Donnell
    Andrea Corr
    The non-Bono people in U2
    The Edge is a knobend. Watch the documentary It Might Get Loud. Up his own hole
    daheff wrote: »
    Johnny Logan
    Probably one of the biggest arseholes in the country. He thinks he's up there with John Lennon.
    Muahahaha wrote: »

I think ROG is a knobend.

Cienciano wrote: »
    The Edge is a knobend. Watch the documentary It Might Get Loud. Up his own hole

Probably one of the biggest arseholes in the country. He thinks he's up there with John Lennon.

I think ROG is a knobend.

I’m sure after you said that Johnny Logan would be thinking Why Me, so upset he will be going up to strangers pleading Hold Me Now and wondering if 2021 will be when you soften to him but hey, What’s another Year.

The Edge is also trying to find you but got lost as the streets have no name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Arthur Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Anyone say Roy Keane, Dennis O'Brien or Larry Goodman

Anyone say Roy Keane, Dennis O'Brien or Larry Goodman

Ah yeah and the last time I heard that joke i fell off my dinosaur.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

golfball37 wrote: »
    News of Joey Dunlop’s death was announced at half time in Clones at that years Ulster final. There was a collective gasp and then silence throughout the whole crowd as though a family member had died. When in a place like NI you can be that universally loved and respected by both communities it says everything.

When you said Joey. I just thought of Rory Gallagher as well like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ah yeah and the last time I heard that joke i fell off my dinosaur.

Glad I can help in this Sunday night :)

Advertisement