Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Uncut Gems. Awful noisey unlikeable rubbishy garbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

I’ve given most/all a chance and I stand by that. Absolute landfill garbage

Scutter confirmed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Aĺl the marvel crap. I cannot warm to it.

We are also all victims of internet rating sites like rotten tomatoes.

I have seen some great movies that i found highly entertaining but were not rated online.

Do yourself a favour and check out poorly rated movies, there are some greats out there. If it is garbage after 15 minutes just turn it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Aĺl the marvel crap. I cannot warm to it.

We are also all victims of internet rating sites like rotten tomatoes.

I have seen some great movies that i found highly entertaining but were not rated online.

Do yourself a favour and check out poorly rated movies, there are some greats out there. If it is garbage after 15 minutes just turn it off?

Agreed. The marvel crap as you put it is landfill rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Super hero movies are 99% scutter

Oh, we’re including kid’s films? I thought ‘Shark Tale’ was shíte.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Dunkirk was a good movie, don't think it was over-rated.

But there was a BBC TV docu-drama narrated by Timothy Dalton starring Benedict Cumberbatch that was much better at telling the story.

it's not about the story

War is War, not about fantasy one-person heroes who killed 50 in a day, a mother's last son or sanctimonious messages

Dunkirk portrayed this brilliantly, ( as seen in the cinema) put you there and maintained the tension to the end

It's probably the best war movie ever made.

Those who don't get it or are looking for some sort of fake plot should stick to Saving Private Ryan type stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Super hero movies are 99% scutter

Emmm, sorry, you left out the 1%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Unless you're putting the Marvel universe in the 1%, you're scutter

What's in the 1% out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

odyssey06 wrote: »
    A.I. Artificial Intelligence from Steven Spielberg.
    One or two flashes of brilliance but otherwise a huge let down for me.

It had a good enough “ending”, if it had stopped half an hour earlier and not been so, utterly, ridiculous.

The tide is turning…

Not at all. Pacing awful. Way too long.

Dunkirk was only 1h 46 mintues.

That's easily on the short side for movies these days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

The Shawshank Redemption

A successful banker that is wrongly jailed? Hilarious.

The Warden and the Guards entrusting an inmate with their financial affairs? Even funnier

Rich well to do banker befriending benevolent black murderer in prison, inviting him to join him in Mexico if he ever gets out? In 1947 America?

It's a liberal wet dream that's totally divorced from reality. Unsurprisingly written by Stephen King, who has a severe case of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Notmything

glasso wrote: »
    it's not about the story

War is War, not about fantasy one-person heroes who killed 50 in a day, a mother's last son or sanctimonious messages

Dunkirk portrayed this brilliantly, ( as seen in the cinema) put you there and maintained the tension to the end

Those who don't get it or are looking for some sort of fake plot should stick to Saving Private Ryan type stuff!

Personally I experienced no tension in the movie. I preferred the BBC docudrama. The characters were real and I felt their experiences came across better. I would say I prefer the 1958 version too. But it's about personal taste.

Dunno why you had to make a remark about the tastes of other posters tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Frozen. Most absolute trash over-rated turd cum that Disney ever produced!

Inception - I just didn't get it, at all.

Anything with Brad Pitt.

Entire Fast and Furious franchise.

Anything with Dwayne Johnson - I like him, but he pretty much just plays himself in literally every movie.

Max Mad Fury Road - again, I just didn't get it.

Frodo - I like the Lord of the Rings movies (not the Hobbit trilogy however). But Frodo always annoyed the absolute f*ck out of me. F*ck you Frodo, Samwise was the true hero!

Jurassic World - was pure utter crap IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

it's not about the story

The film score from the beginning was like a vice slowly closing

The panic the absolute terror of war

And of course the sound of the spitfire

Notmything wrote: »
    Personally I experienced no tension in the movie. I preferred the BBC docudrama. The characters were real and I felt their experiences came across better. I would say I prefer the 1958 version too. But it's about personal taste.

Yes -

Dunkirk had zero tension. Boredom throughout.

Shame on Christopher Nolan, he did a crap job directing that film.

That bit with Harry styles in the wrecked boat was so so so so bad and seemed to go on for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,382 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

it's not about the story

The best war movie ever made?
    Ok, I'm declaring it over-rated now.

There was no fake plot to the TV version of Dunkirk, it was capable of giving viewers an understanding of the wider picture of the battle, what was at stake and engaging you with the fate of real characters through that battle.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Notmything wrote: »

I just made a comment about another war movie

the whole point of Dunkirk was that it's not really about the characters -> "War is War".

that's why the characters aren't laboured over or their backstory explored -> it's about what happened then and there, the immediacy of the situation

It's not a documentary, not sure why it's being compared to one :confused:

it's also Nolan's highest-rated movie by a mile - by users and critics alike (so can't just say it's all critics)

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/dunkirk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

The Warden and the Guards entrusting an inmate with their financial affairs? Even funnier

The warden was personally amassing loads of dodgy money from the prison. He needed
    to launder that money. He wouldn't know how himself. He can't go to a regular accountant.
    The prisoner has the skills. And he controls the prisoner completely. Can put him in solitary
    confinement or have him beaten, extend his sentence etc. He never conceived that
    the prisoner could or would escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Training Day.. absolute ****e

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The Shawshank Redemption

A successful banker that is wrongly jailed? Hilarious.

Rich well to do banker befriending benevolent black murderer in prison, inviting him to join him in Mexico if he ever gets out? In 1947 America?

It's a liberal wet dream that's totally divorced from reality. Unsurprisingly written by Stephen King, who has a severe case of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

The Green Mile too...

And The Fugitive, wasn't written by King though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

jj880 wrote: »
    Birdman

Good call and one you don't really see mentioned when this topic arises

The "do the whole film in one shot" thing was great technically, but I've never rewatched it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

jaxxx wrote: »
    Frozen. Most absolute trash over-rated turd cum that Disney ever produced!

Inception - I just didn't get it, at all.

Anything with Brad Pitt.

Entire Fast and Furious franchise.

Anything with Dwayne Johnson - I like him, but he pretty much just plays himself in literally every movie.

Max Mad Fury Road - again, I just didn't get it.

Frodo - I like the Lord of the Rings movies (not the Hobbit trilogy however). But Frodo always annoyed the absolute f*ck out of me. F*ck you Frodo, Samwise was the true hero!

Jurassic World - was pure utter crap IMO.

Most of these are fast food movies. There's nothing wrong with a kebab or domino's when you just want a quick pick me up, same with the above.

Anything with Brad Pitt, so ocean's 11 and fight club?

Inception is a great film, I'm sorry.

My overrated films are: La La Land, The Hurt locker, Birdman, The big lebowski.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

Godfather 2

2001 A Space Odyssey

Fight Club

Anything by John Woo

2 way over rated movies from last year

Once upon a time in Hollywood - enjoyable in parts but overall a sprawling self indulgent mess

Joker - very very over rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Sixth Sense.
    Thought it was good when it came out but that was partly due to the massive hype around Shyamalan back then.
    When you've watched it a few times you start to realise it is riddled with plot holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Anything with Will Ferrell - not even remotely funny

Watched Goodfellas recently (having never seen it) and while it was a decent flick, i didnt get the hype at all

Not a fan of the Focker films either

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

storker wrote: »
    Godfather 2

2001 A Space Odyssey

Fight Club

Anything by John Woo

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭tastyt

Someone just said the Godfather part 2 ......

Please close this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Revenant.

The bear should have won the oscar instead of DiCaprio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

:eek:

There is a few wind up merchants on here

Advertisement