Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Mescal reveals ...

Comments

Ah in fairness to him he's nominated for a few Emmy's which is massive for a TV actor. His life has totally changed the last few months. Seems a grounded lad too to hear in an interview unlike yer man Barry Keoghan whose ego seems to be off the scale.

He can do nothing about the standard of journalism today and as he said himself, his next goal after Normal People is to secure his next bit of work so he's quite correctly taking advantage of the hype and keeping himself in the limelight.

I'm sure he's a nice lad, but from the 2 episodes I struggled through before giving up, I'd estimate he said about 50 words in total - so I can't judge his acting ability from that. He was really just a prop for the female lead's fantasies.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

1990sman wrote: »
    he finally seized the denny, fair play, or at least had some english chick pretending to be from sligo to seize his denny.

i always paraphrased np as 'balibalihaunis reads camus'

good luck to him

not a single thanks for that?

cmon its funny and it references classic literature!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I fear this is one of them cases where it was funnier in your head. Commiserations and better luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm sure he's a nice lad, but from the 2 episodes I struggled through before giving up, I'd estimate he said about 50 words in total - so I can't judge his acting ability from that. He was really just a prop for the female lead's fantasies.

Acting isn't about how many words you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Mescal is a cuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ah in fairness to him he's nominated for a few Emmy's which is massive for a TV actor. His life has totally changed the last few months. Seems a grounded lad too to hear in an interview unlike yer man Barry Keoghan whose ego seems to be off the scale.

He can do nothing about the standard of journalism today and as he said himself, his next goal after Normal People is to secure his next bit of work so he's quite correctly taking advantage of the hype and keeping himself in the limelight.

Yeah, he's still a jobbing actor looking for his next payslip so it's hard to blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes The Guardian & Daily Mail did the usual thing claiming him and Andrew Scott as British.

Why do they do this?

It's a bit like the Irish media claiming it's an Irish programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I liked Normal People, thoroughly enjoyed it. And yet, I've barely seen young Mescal a couple of times since I finished watching it. It's almost as if I haven't been taking much notice of him. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

jimgoose wrote: »
    I liked Normal People, thoroughly enjoyed it. And yet, I've barely seen young Mescal a couple of times since I finished watching it. It's almost as if I haven't been taking much notice of him. :pac:

It’s scary on Instagram.
    People detail where his clothes are from even the brand of his cigarettes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

NIMAN wrote: »

It is Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Rothko wrote: »
    Acting isn't about how many words you say.

John Connors would agree with that. All you have to do is look like a fat head

• Registered Users Posts: 28,381 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

NIMAN wrote: »

It is an Irish programme.

Based on a book by an Irish author. Set in Ireland. Produced in Ireland by an Irish production company, filmed in Ireland, predominantly Irish cast.

What more do you want?

It has been financed by Hulu (American) and BBC (British) but that does not mean it's a British show that British Media is claiming.

The Crown is funded entirely by Netflix who are American but I would still regard it as a British show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,381 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's not how you judge acting. Do you not think there was acting in silent films then? Have a look at the performances of old ones. Or watch The Artist for a more modern take.

He's received praise for his portrayal of a troubled person and he delivered a lot more dialogue then you said.

I thought he was excellent and his scene with the psychiatrist was powerful and showed his talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

After being bombarded with references to it I eventually gave in and watched a fair few episodes of Normal People. Not to the end because I suddenly got bored. I like Lenny Abrahamson's stuff though this was occasionally too self conscious. In the end I could not understand the absolute mania for it because I found it to be fairly much Maeve Binchy plus mickies and tits. Enjoyable enough but not mesmerising. But good on the lad for his success. Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Today's revelation, hold on to your seats...

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0730/1156414-hugh-jackman-sent-paul-mescal-the-most-gorgeous-email/
    Paul Mescal has revealed that Hugh Jackman reached out to him to compliment his work on Normal People.

HUGH JACKMAN, OMG!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's 100s of channels out there, actors have.to promote their shows , especially actors who are young and have just started in show biz. No one forces you to read the TV guide.
    It's part of the contract, if you are on a show you have to agree to do interviews.
    I Don, t read interviews with actors, they are using full of cliches. This role was demanding
    I had to learn how to fence, fire a gun etc
    Of course alot of magazines will want an interview with the hot young actor in a big hit
    TV show it was well reviewed.
    It got good ratings
    It's not as if we have alot of famous Irish actors
    who are known in the UK or America
    There's colin farell, Gleeson who was in star wars

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

AllForIt wrote: »

Maybe he can duet with Hugh, like he did with Dermot Kennedy

Ballyhaunis doesn't rhyme with Camus I think is the objection man. Harsh, but there are certain standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I thought he was excellent in Normal People.

He seemed a bit wooden at first, but as it progressed I realised he was playing the part of a troubled man struggling to repress his feelings and maintain an image, while dealing with the guilt of how that affected Marianne.

I enjoyed the show, but getting a little weary of him now

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0731/1156602-dermot-kennedy-and-paul-mescal/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Also RTÉ hyped the bejasus out of it for weeks on end

because it was doing so well on the BBC:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I wonder what must be going on inside the lad's brain, to go from obscurity to one of the most famous actors in the world in a few short months. Hollywood A-listers gushing at him, 1 million instagram followers, being papped by tabloids when he's out running, and now dating a famous indie musician. And all while under lockdown. Must be truly bizarre. Hope he doesn't lose the head and pull a Colin Farrell / Jonathan Rhys Myers at some stage down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fair at to him but to be honest form seeing him in interviews I'm not sure how much of normal people was acting

He seems to be just a bit dry and was playing someone very close to himself,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Was it a great programme?

I zoned in and out of it while herself sat in the living room and watched it.

Not great. We're led to believe a load of 19/20 year olds would have such emotional baggage in their lives?

Give me a break. Hey lads what are we doing for the summer holidays? Greece, Ibiza, Majorca or maybe a mad blowout to Thailand?
    No...my parents have a villa in italy. Let's make big bowls of pasta and sit out drinking wine and talking about how problematic our lives are, like a bunch of oul ones in our 50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

mfceiling wrote: »

Not great. We're led to believe a load of 19/20 year olds would have such emotional baggage in their lives?

Give me a break. Hey lads what are we doing for the summer holidays? Greece, Ibiza, Majorca or maybe a mad blowout to Thailand?
    No...my parents have a villa in italy. Let's make big bowls of pasta and sit out drinking wine and talking about how problematic our lives are, like a bunch of oul ones in our 50's.

To be fair if your doing English in Trinity and your missus is doing ( I cant remember ) in Trinity , Your out look and summer holiday preferences are different to a bunch of lads doing apprenticeships working on building sites ,

That's just life,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

mfceiling wrote: »

Apart from Marianne’s wealth(which does exist)
    I really connected with a lot of the characters and would know people like them.
    I would have done my leaving cert, went to college, etc in around when the whole thing was set tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I thínk the characters are supposed to represent
    Sensitive intelligent people who are in love,
    It's not a program about average people who go to Italy on holidays to drink and have casual sex. I did not watch it but it got very positive reviews.
    At least it does not portray Irish people as certain stereotypes we have seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,391 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Apart from Marianne’s wealth(which does exist)
    I really connected with a lot of the characters and would know people like them.
    I would have done my leaving cert, went to college, etc in around when the whole thing was set tough.

It reminded me of the leaving cert and college life more than anything else I have ever seen.
    Not just cos I am Irish.
    Some English reviewers said the same thing about life as an undergrad.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

riclad wrote: »
    I thínk the characters are supposed to represent
    Sensitive intelligent people who are in love,
    It's not a program about average people who go to Italy on holidays to drink and have casual sex. I did not watch it but it got very positive reviews.
    At least it does not portray Irish people as certain stereotypes we have seen before.

‘Normal People’ a bit misleading them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,391 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

‘Normal People’ a bit misleading them?

I wouldnt call literate undergrads abnormal... its another way of being normal.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement