Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Surname issue - I'm confused

• 20-08-2019 9:39am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Frederick Bridgeman marries Sarah Kelly in the Pro Cathedral on Jun 12th 1887.

On the parish record of the marriage Sarah's parents are entered as Patrick & Catherine Brady.

On the civil record the name Sarah Kelly is entered where the father of brides name should be.

That could just be a slip of the pen.

However, the baptism records for Frederick and Sarah's four children give Sarah's maiden name as Farrell, while the civil birth records for the first two children give her name as Kelly and for the second two give her name as Farrell.

I'm guessing that the anomaly may be as a result of her mother remarrying but I haven't found a record to confirm this yet.

Anyone got any other suggestions as to what's going on?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Could she have a previous marriage?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

On the parish record, I presume that means Patrick Kelly and Catherine Brady, of course.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Could she have a previous marriage?

The civil record of her marriage to Frederick suggests otherwise but I'm not ruling it out.

The problem is I can't find any supporting documents for a second marriage for her or her mother.
    Nor can I find a likely birth or baptism record for Sarah.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Just thinking outside the box here.

Could it be possible that Sarah's mother (Catherine Brady) wasn't married to Sarah's father (Mr. Farrell), yet she was still know as Sarah Farrell.

And her mother's marriage to Mr. Kelly would result in her also being know as Sarah Kelly.

EDIT

Have you tried looking for a birth/batism of Sarah "Brady"...with a father not listed or similar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks kanadams - I expect it to be something like that.
    Just a matter of finding documents that back it up.

I'll have another look when my heads a bit clearer.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement