Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Capital Gains Tax Exemptions

Options
  • 15-08-2019 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

Hope I am explaining this right as I tax and everything it involves was always my weakest subject in school/college!!!

Anyway, here we go; I have inherited some land and a site from my mother. I am currently in the process of selling it. But I am curious how the capital gains tax exemptions work. According to their website I fall in to category Group A and it states that as of October 2018 I would be exempt from CGT on any profits unto €320,000k. Its not near that much don't worry.

Is this correct or I am misunderstand something?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It seems you may be confusing CAT and CGT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Geuze wrote: »
    It seems you may be confusing CAT and CGT?

I agree. You may not be liable for CAT but CGT May still catch you depending on your circumstances.

My solicitor is the person that told me about CGT, he did not mention anything about CAT...

• Advertisement

Dolbhad wrote: »
    I agree. You may not be liable for CAT but CGT May still catch you depending on your circumstances.

Yes it reads on the website that I am exempted but no doubt I am misinterpreting something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Exempted from CAT but not CGT

CAT is the tax on the gift from your mother as your relationship to her falls under Category A which is a lifetime exemption on all gifts received from your mother and father up to 330,000 I think it is.

CGT is tax at 33% on any gain when you sell the land/site. Gain is value you sell it for less deemed value at date you inherited it from your mum less any costs in inheriting and disposing of it i.e. legal costs less 1,270 being an annual exemption in year you sell it.

Example
    Sell for 100,000
    Value at date you received it from your mum 80,000
    Gain 20,000
    less say legal fees on sale 5,000
    less 1,270

So taxable gain in example above is 13,730 taxed at 33% is 4,531

Exempted from CAT but not CGT

CAT is the tax on the gift from your mother as your relationship to her falls under Category A which is a lifetime exemption on all gifts received from your mother and father up to 330,000 I think it is.

CGT is tax at 33% on any gain when you sell the land/site. Gain is value you sell it for less deemed value at date you inherited it from your mum less any costs in inheriting and disposing of it i.e. legal costs less 1,270 being an annual exemption in year you sell it.

Example
    Sell for 100,000
    Value at date you received it from your mum 80,000
    Gain 20,000
    less say legal fees on sale 5,000
    less 1,270

So taxable gain in example above is 13,730 taxed at 33% is 4,531

thanks for that, now it makes sense. Why don't they explain things like this on the website?

CAT is a tax when you acquire an asset by a gift or inheritance.

CGT is a tax when you make a gain on the disposal of an asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack guys - but I have a general CGT query that I can't find any answer for.

Are fine alcoholic beverages (whiskey/wine/etc) classified as wasting assets here in Ireland?

Well they are an asset you can get wasted on
    Sorry could not resist
    As to your question I have no idea

• Advertisement
Advertisement