Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is brushing teeth everyday necessary?

Options
  • 08-08-2019 1:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I've heard that 50% of dental health is determined by genetics and the other half by diet and brushing. One of my friends in first year 7 years ago always got an allowance and ate absolute crap (fizzy drinks, mars bars, doritos) and claimed to brush every two days. My mother tried saving my teeth by banning sugar and made me brush twice a day.

It's 10 years later and apart from his teeth becomign a bit whitish/creamish colour, he's never gotten any cavities. I've had to get 3 fillings in that time despite eating half the sugar? What gives :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Don’t brush your teeth for next 10 years, then give us an update.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Dav010 wrote: »
    Don’t brush your teeth for next 10 years, then give us an update.

Didn't people in the past go without brushing teeth? Then again, they didn't have a carbohydrate rich diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Didn't people in the past go without brushing teeth? Then again, they didn't have a carbohydrate rich diet.

They also went without teeth in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I used to be very bad for brushing my teeth, only doing it once every 2-3 days, now my 3 year forces me to do it twice a day with her. Its a noticeable difference. I've just had 1 filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Twice daily brushing and after meals being necessary is an absolute myth pushed on by the industry.

I brush in the mornings only and have never needed a filling or have had any dental issues. My teeth are perfectly straight and white also.

Colgate making a killing.

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

I've heard that 50% of dental health is determined by genetics and the other half by diet and brushing. One of my friends in first year 7 years ago always got an allowance and ate absolute crap (fizzy drinks, mars bars, doritos) and claimed to brush every two days. My mother tried saving my teeth by banning sugar and made me brush twice a day.

It's 10 years later and apart from his teeth becomign a bit whitish/creamish colour, he's never gotten any cavities. I've had to get 3 fillings in that time despite eating half the sugar? What gives :D

I do believe this to be the case. My parents had already had false teeth before their 40's. I have all my own teeth bar two missing at the back, a few fillings and pay a visit to the hygienist 3 times a year. Brush and floss twice a day and also use the interdental brushes. If I didn't take such care I would be easily susceptible to getting gum disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It's an annoying one OP - I brush twice a day (sometimes 3 times, if I'm going out somewhere in the afternoon/evening) and floss regularly. Had braces when I was younger so I've always made an effort to look after my teeth. I'm 32 and have at least 8 fillings. My partner is way lazier than me, would often fall asleep without having brushed his teeth and loves sugary drinks - he's had 1 filling ever.

I would well believe genetics have a big part to play, both my parents have had a lot of dental work done. In saying that, good dental hygiene is very important - I probably would be missing teeth by now if I wasn't as vigilant as I am.

Advertisement