Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Way of finding out owner of abandoned property

• 29-03-2019 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Hi all, is there any way of finding out who owns a property or if it's in nama? There's an abandoned house in front of mine and I'm looking to see if I can buy it but it's been empty for a few years now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

smokingman wrote: »
    Hi all, is there any way of finding out who owns a property or if it's in nama? There's an abandoned house in front of mine and I'm looking to see if I can buy it but it's been empty for a few years now.

land registry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Squat. That'll bring out the owner quick enough. And if not it's yours after twelve years. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The folio number of the property should have the owners name.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/buying_a_home/property_deeds.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

If it has a folio number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Thanks all. Got the folio from the direct site and have a name now. Address is the house itself but I've no idea how to contact them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Facebook might actually help if the name is not too common. LinkedIn can work but will depend on the person as some avoid all internet stuff.
    You might want to check if there is a death notice for them as that can often be why property becomes abandoned. Even a similar name may indicate relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Asking neighbours might help also, normally someone would know who used to live there and what happened and if any relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

It was bought as a holiday home back in 2006. He would arrive down the odd weekend with his family and be gone again Sunday evening. Never talked to him much but electricity has been shut off at least 3 years now with it never being visited since even longer. He didn't know anyone in the area either. Might just post something through the letterbox in the hope he comes back someday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Land Registry or a search in the Registry of Deeds if nothing showing up at the Land Registry.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

its quite surprising library dont give free access to land registry or do they?

I use vision-net for free through my library card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement